Old February 12th 06, 05:19 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave
Robert11

Default Grounding A Radio ?

Hello:

Presently using a random length wire running around my attic (for receiving
only).

My receiver now has a ground wire running from the chassis to a nearby water
pipe, and also has grounding via the center pin on the ac power cord.

Will be installing an outside PAR Inverted-L receive only antenna.

There will be a Balun and an ICE Arrestor near ground level; both of which

will be grounded to a new ground rod I'll bang in, in close proximity.

Then, about a 125 foot coax run back to the house where my receiver is

in an upstairs room.

Am wondering about how all ground your receivers, and what might be the best
way for me to. Hope the following is reasonably clear, and not too
convoluted, but let me try -

Questions:

Should I disconnect the receiver ground going to the water pipe ?

This would help implement the "single point ground philosophy"

that everyone says is the way to go.

If I do, can I then rely solely on the coax shield being the receivers
ground ? This would be from the radio chassis to the ground bar, of course.

Then there's the question of the AC power plug's center pin grounding the
chassis.

There goes my single point system, I guess.

Should I perhaps inhibit this pin with one of those cheater-plugs ?

I'm also wondering about any safety implications if I do disconnect the
chassis to water pipe

ground wire I previously installed, AND also use a cheater-plug so the
chassis isn't directly

connected to the AC ground at the plug. Not sure if just relying on the
coax

shield back to the ground bar is safe ? Thoughts ?

Also, my house 220 V input does not seem to have any ground rod

outside, like I believe the new code requires. It does seem to have an
interior wire

running to my house's water line. I seem to remember from years back when
the service box was opened that this wire was from the neutral bus, but not
100% sure.

I would not really want to change or disrupt this present house grounding
scheme by bringing this wire 125 feet or so to the new ground rod I will be
installing.

Any thoughts or suggestions on what would be the best grounding
configuration for

the radio (from a noise, safety, and possibility of any induced lightning
surges) ?

Thanks,

Bob

Old February 12th 06, 06:08 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave
David

http://www.illinoisfire.com/commercial.shtml#1

Old February 12th 06, 07:34 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave
SeeingEyeDog

The following is just my opinion and should not be interpreted as
professional advice in any way.
You are responsible for your own actions and safety.

"Robert11" wrote

My receiver now has a ground wire running from the chassis to a nearby

water
pipe, and also has grounding via the center pin on the ac power cord.

I would remove the wire from your radio to the water pipe IF you follow the
following advice.

Will be installing an outside PAR Inverted-L receive only antenna.

There will be a Balun and an ICE Arrestor near ground level; both of which

will be grounded to a new ground rod I'll bang in, in close proximity.

If you want an ideal ground set 3 ground rods at least 8 feet apart and bond
them together.

Then, about a 125 foot coax run back to the house where my receiver is

in an upstairs room.

A lightning protector idealy should be located at the outside entrance to
your home and its associated ground wire directly connected as close to a
ground rod as possible. You want to give any lightning enery the least
resistance to ground as possible. The shorter this distance to ground the
better. Your 125 feet of coax will look like infinite resistance to
lightning energy IF you follow the above recommendations.

Am wondering about how all ground your receivers, and what might be the

best
way for me to. Hope the following is reasonably clear, and not too
convoluted, but let me try -

All my radio station grounds (if the radios provide grounding posts on their
cabinets) are individualy bonded to a single copper Station ground panel.
This single copper Station ground panel is then bonded using 2.5 inch copper
strap (ribbon) to another Main copper ground panel located near my
electrical service. All my antenna lightning protectors are also mounted on
this Main copper ground panel. This Main copper ground panel (and
seperately my electrical service) is then bonded directly to 3
interconnected/bonded ground rods using 2.5 inch wide copper strap (ribbon)
obtained from Polyphaser.

The AC ground is retained per the power plug on each individual radio. It
serves as operator safety and should not be tampered with or defeated in any
way.

All in my opinion.

Old February 13th 06, 08:26 AM posted to rec.radio.shortwave
RHF

Robert 11,

READ - Lightning Protection - What Do YOU Use?
http://groups.google.com/group/rec.r...f72ca458581b9c

Look at the Diagram Titled :
The Correct Way to Install a Longwire Antenna/Balun:
http://www.wellbrook.uk.com/longwire.html
Note - The Two Ground Rods at both ends of the Coax
Cable Feed-in-Line

hope this helps - iane ~ RHF