Old February 17th 06, 07:08 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave
Sanjaya

Default Radio Shack to close 400 to 700 stores

DALLAS - Electronics retailer RadioShack Corp. on Friday said fourth-quarter earnings dropped 62
percent and disclosed it plans to close 400 to 700 stores and two distribution centers as part of a
plan to improve its financial performance.

full story
http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/11409391/

Old February 17th 06, 07:36 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave
Verstaldin

Considering the lousy quality of most of their products and the prices you
have to pay for their junk, it's no wonder.

hlink.net...

Old February 17th 06, 09:56 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave
sideshowhaas

To think that they just constructed a building/store about 1/2 mile
from me. It hasn't opened yet. I wonder if it will.

Old February 17th 06, 10:18 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave
Greg

From: "Sanjaya"
Newsgroups: rec.radio.shortwave
Date: Fri, 17 Feb 2006 19:08:10 GMT
Subject: Radio Shack to close 400 to 700 stores

DALLAS - Electronics retailer RadioShack Corp. on Friday said fourth-quarter
earnings dropped 62
percent and disclosed it plans to close 400 to 700 stores and two distribution
centers as part of a
plan to improve its financial performance.

full story
http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/11409391/

"...we have answers!"

Greg

Old February 17th 06, 10:19 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave
Greg

From: "Sanjaya"
Newsgroups: rec.radio.shortwave
Date: Fri, 17 Feb 2006 19:08:10 GMT

DALLAS - Electronics retailer RadioShack Corp. on Friday said fourth-quarter
earnings dropped 62
percent and disclosed it plans to close 400 to 700 stores and two distribution
centers as part of a
plan to improve its financial performance.

full story
http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/11409391/

This might be an opportunity to pick up some merchandise cheap from some of
the store that are closing down.

Greg

Old February 17th 06, 10:53 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave
FDR

"Billy Smith" wrote in message
link.net...
Consider the fact that now they tend to hire people at the lowest wages
possible while these people basically know nothing of electronics. It used
to be that ham radio operators, electronic experts, and those knowledgable
in electronics ran the stores. Now it's just an undereducated kid saying
"Do you want a cellphone with that shortwave radio?"

I'll tell you a personal story. A few years ago I went in there to look at
one of the shortwave radios they had as an offering. As many of you know,
they used to sell Sangean radios stamped with the Radio Shack brand.
Anyway, So I went in and asked a salesperson if a particular brand has SSB
capability. He said "Yes, it does." Well I took a better look at the radio
and did not see a switch for SSB or a button. Came back home and
researched the model number and nothing of the sort came up. If you do buy
anything there, it is best to know what you want and go get it. Because
otherwise their help isn't much good. It is a shame too considering they
were once a well thought up company. Say 30 years ago and more.

It was around 1992 that I was trying to fix a reel to reel tape recorder
with tubes, and I went into the store to ask where their tube tester was. I
got a blank look from the young girl and found out though another worker
that they had discontinued the tube tester device. Oh well, that's my "duh"
experience.

"Verstaldin" wrote in message
ink.net...
Considering the lousy quality of most of their products and the prices
you have to pay for their junk, it's no wonder.

hlink.net...

Old February 17th 06, 11:38 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave
Joe Analssandrini

This is a real shame. Radio Shack has strayed far from its roots - they
no longer even sell Radio Shack brand radios!

But there's really nowhere else to go when you need a small electronic
part such as an unusual adapter, different gauges of resin-core solder,
audio-video cables, unusual batteries, etc. And if they go "belly-up"
in your location, you're just out of luck. Sure you can buy from some
of the mail-order companies (Allied Electronics - owned by Radio Shack,
I believe - is particularly good) but you must wait for delivery and
shipping charges can be somewhat high. It is often uneconomical to buy
a small item from a mail-order house.

I hope they'll realize this and leave the digital cameras,
computers,.cellular telephones, toys, and so forth, to other retailers
and concentrate on being the best electronics store they once were.

Best,

Joe

Old February 18th 06, 01:01 AM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

I have an Allied Radio Corporation Spring Summer 1941 catalog
here.(1941,the year I was born) 180 page catalog,including the front and
back cover pages.Lots of nice looking old Radios in my
catalog.Cameras,cell phones? Nothing like that is listed in my Allied
Radio Corporation catalog,but that was sixty four years ago.Spring
Summer 1941,A Day Which Will Live In Infamy haden't gotten started yet
in U.S.A.I was one month and two days old on that day.
cuhulin

Old February 18th 06, 03:48 AM posted to rec.radio.shortwave
Jim Hackett

Mouser doesn't have a minimu order...

"running dogg" wrote in message
news

wrote:

[...]

Ahem. Fry's is only in CA, AZ, OR, and a couple other stores. Even in
CA, if you're outside of LA, Silicon Valley, or Sacramento (one store),
it's a LONG way to a Fry's. I believe that there's only a handful of
Fry's outside CA. I'm lucky to have a Fry's nearby. But most people
don't have that luxury. In a lot of places, if Rat Shack closes down,
there will be NO sources for electronic parts. Most mail order places
require a minimum order, since to ship one resistor is too much trouble.

Utillity freq List; NORMAN TRIANTAFILOS Shortwave 3 May 14th 05 03:31 AM
203 English-language HF Broadcasts audible in NE US (27-NOV-04) Albert P. Belle Isle Shortwave 1 December 1st 04 05:09 AM
shortwv John Lauritsen Shortwave 0 November 28th 04 07:19 PM
Amateur Radio Newsline™ Report 1415 ­ September 24, 2004 Radionews Policy 1 September 24th 04 07:12 PM
183 English-language HF Broadcasts audible in NE US (30-MAR-04) Albert P. Belle Isle Shortwave 6 April 2nd 04 04:09 PM