Old February 18th 06, 11:00 AM posted to rec.radio.shortwave
Rikk

Default Icom R72

Well I have had this radio for about a week now, and I am quite impressed
with it. It works great for me here in the UK, I can hear stations that I
never could before, I can't fault it myself.
I obviously can't compare it to the newer top of the range receivers as I do
not have one. but against my Sony7600GR/ATS909 and DX394, the Icom blows
them away, no contest.
Just my observations mind
cheers
Rikk

Old February 18th 06, 01:15 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave
Michael

Hiya....

I'm not surprised that you like it. The R72 has gotten some bad press
because it wasn't an advance on the R71A. People who say that it is a bad
radio IMO are off base. It is not a better radio then the R71A, but it
isn't a bad radio in general. You can do good work with it. For the most
part, when a radio gets a reputation for being very good, like an R8,
everybody jumps on the bandwagon and talks it up. Including, people who
have never used it. It is the same for a radio that gets a bad reputation,
like the R72. People who have never used it are quick to say how bad it is.
Though, I have to say... When you compare it against the Sony 7600GR and say
that the R72 is better, you aren't comparing apples to apples. The R72 is a
tabletop that sold for $ 600.00 to 700.00 new. The Sony7600GR is a portable
that sells new for $120.00 to $140.00. Compared to other tabletops in its
price range the R72 is average. Compared to other portables, the Sony7600GR
is superlative. I've used the ATS 909, I own the GrundingYB400, Sony7600GR,
PL-500, KA-1102 and a host of other portables. I can tell you that the
7600G is the best portable available. The R72 although a good radio and
undeserving of heavy criticism is not the best tabletop available.

--
Respectfully,

Michael

Location: NJ
Primary Radio: ICOM IC-R75 (full Kiwa mods)
Antennas: G5RV & 200ft "Frankenstein" Roof Wire
Additional Radios: Icom IC-PCR1000,
Sony 7600GR, Grundig YB400,
Tecsun PL-550, Kaito KA1101, Kaito KA1102
GE SR-III, Westinghouse H-104 (seven tube)