Old February 19th 06, 12:12 AM posted to rec.radio.shortwave
running dogg

Default Anybody remember a clandestine station that ran on coconuts?

I seem to remember hearing about a rebellious island somewhere in the
South Pacific (although I'm not sure where, or who they were rebelling
against) that had an "official voice" that ran on coconuts. Every year
they'd harvest the coconuts, eat some, then burn the rest to keep the tx
going for a while. Then the coconuts would run out, and they'd have to
shut down until next year. This was necessary because the govt they were
rebelling against had a total blockade in effect. I think the station
was called Radio Bougainville or something. Anybody know what I'm
talking about?

Old February 19th 06, 12:18 AM posted to rec.radio.shortwave
dxAce

running dogg wrote:

I seem to remember hearing about a rebellious island somewhere in the
South Pacific (although I'm not sure where, or who they were rebelling
against) that had an "official voice" that ran on coconuts. Every year
they'd harvest the coconuts, eat some, then burn the rest to keep the tx
going for a while. Then the coconuts would run out, and they'd have to
shut down until next year. This was necessary because the govt they were
rebelling against had a total blockade in effect. I think the station
was called Radio Bougainville or something. Anybody know what I'm
talking about?

Radio Free Bougainville, it ran on cocoanut oil

dxAce
Michigan
USA

Old February 19th 06, 12:36 AM posted to rec.radio.shortwave
running dogg

dxAce wrote:

running dogg wrote:

I seem to remember hearing about a rebellious island somewhere in the
South Pacific (although I'm not sure where, or who they were rebelling
against) that had an "official voice" that ran on coconuts. Every year
they'd harvest the coconuts, eat some, then burn the rest to keep the tx
going for a while. Then the coconuts would run out, and they'd have to
shut down until next year. This was necessary because the govt they were
rebelling against had a total blockade in effect. I think the station
was called Radio Bougainville or something. Anybody know what I'm
talking about?

Radio Free Bougainville, it ran on cocoanut oil

dxAce
Michigan
USA

Yeah, them. Know anything else about it?

Old February 19th 06, 12:44 AM posted to rec.radio.shortwave
dxAce

running dogg wrote:

dxAce wrote:

running dogg wrote:

I seem to remember hearing about a rebellious island somewhere in the
South Pacific (although I'm not sure where, or who they were rebelling
against) that had an "official voice" that ran on coconuts. Every year
they'd harvest the coconuts, eat some, then burn the rest to keep the tx
going for a while. Then the coconuts would run out, and they'd have to
shut down until next year. This was necessary because the govt they were
rebelling against had a total blockade in effect. I think the station
was called Radio Bougainville or something. Anybody know what I'm
talking about?

Radio Free Bougainville, it ran on cocoanut oil

dxAce
Michigan
USA

Yeah, them. Know anything else about it?

They later became Radio Independent Mekamui.

dxAce
Michigan
USA

Old February 19th 06, 01:08 AM posted to rec.radio.shortwave
Guy Atkins

I've posted a short recording of Radio Free Bougainville, from the time I
heard them at a Grayland, WA DXpedition. The date was June 16, 1993, and the
time was 1120 UTC. Listen for the two IDs in Pidgin:

http://www.guyatkins.com/files/R_Free_Bougainvile.MP3 (84 kB file size)

Guy Atkins
Puyallup, WA
SDR-1000 blog: www.sdr-1000.blogspot.com

"dxAce" wrote in message

Old February 19th 06, 01:19 AM posted to rec.radio.shortwave
Guy Atkins

Hmm... the file wasn't loading so I changed the file name. Try this:

http://www.guyatkins.com/files/rfbougainville.mp3

. ..

"dxAce" wrote in message

Old February 19th 06, 01:22 AM posted to rec.radio.shortwave
dxAce

Guy Atkins wrote:

I've posted a short recording of Radio Free Bougainville, from the time I
heard them at a Grayland, WA DXpedition. The date was June 16, 1993, and the
time was 1120 UTC. Listen for the two IDs in Pidgin:

http://www.guyatkins.com/files/R_Free_Bougainvile.MP3 (84 kB file size)

Though I don't have a sound card, that must be nice. Don't believe I ever heard
them here.

They ran something like 80 watts, did they not?

dxAce
Michigan
USA

Old February 19th 06, 01:32 AM posted to rec.radio.shortwave
Guy Atkins

Yes, I believe that was the reported power... a 100 watt transceiver cranked
down to 80 watts to preserve the final in the tropical heat.

A Google *Groups* search on keywords "Radio Free Bougainville Power" brings
up a message thread from 1995 with more information on the coconut oil
subject. People were executed for gathering coconuts for this purpose!

Guy

Old February 19th 06, 01:36 AM posted to rec.radio.shortwave
FDR

"running dogg" wrote in message
I seem to remember hearing about a rebellious island somewhere in the
South Pacific (although I'm not sure where, or who they were rebelling
against) that had an "official voice" that ran on coconuts. Every year
they'd harvest the coconuts, eat some, then burn the rest to keep the tx
going for a while. Then the coconuts would run out, and they'd have to
shut down until next year. This was necessary because the govt they were
rebelling against had a total blockade in effect. I think the station
was called Radio Bougainville or something. Anybody know what I'm
talking about?

Yeah, it was Gilligan's Island.

Old February 19th 06, 01:49 AM posted to rec.radio.shortwave
running dogg

Guy Atkins wrote:

Yes, I believe that was the reported power... a 100 watt transceiver cranked
down to 80 watts to preserve the final in the tropical heat.

A Google *Groups* search on keywords "Radio Free Bougainville Power" brings
up a message thread from 1995 with more information on the coconut oil
subject. People were executed for gathering coconuts for this purpose!

Who were they rebelling against, what government? You guys haven't
filled me in on the details. What happened to the revolutionaries,
ultimately?

Guy