RadioBanter

-   -   preselctor? (https://www.radiobanter.com/shortwave/89163-preselctor.html)

Lisa Simpson February 23rd 06 03:43 AM

preselctor?

To be honest I really don't know what to call it, all I know is I can hear
several voice on some freq's! Sorta like the voices in my head! : }

"Telamon" wrote in message
In article ,
"Lisa Simpson" wrote:

Went to the MFJ website & ordered the 956 preselector. Hope their

products
are better than their website & ordering process! : }

"Telamon" wrote in message

In article ,
"Lisa Simpson" wrote:

Fishing for recommendations for antenna preselectors that would work

well
with a Radio Shack DX-394 & Eavesdropper C antenna . . .

http://www.universal-radio.com/catalog/preamps/2964.html

http://www.universal-radio.com/catalog/preamps/3736.html

You might want to look on Ebay.

This does not have a power supply and it is not known if it is working
so I would stay away from this one.

http://cgi.ebay.com/MFJ-Preselector-...emZ5870550105Q
QcategoryZ15051QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewIt em

Well I hope it does what you want it to do. In another thread you spoke
of co-channel interference and a tuner can't help you with that but it
will help you if you have an image problem.

--
Telamon
Ventura, California

Lisa Simpson February 23rd 06 03:44 AM

preselctor?

: }

"Buzzygirl" wrote in message
. ..

"Lisa Simpson" wrote in message
. ..
Went to the MFJ website & ordered the 956 preselector. Hope their

products
are better than their website & ordering process! : }

Lisa,

Some of their stuff is okay. I've built and enjoyed many of their kits.

I've
had good luck with their customer service as well; one of the kits I

ordered
from them was missing a couple of parts. I e-mailed them and they sent the
parts out overnight.

Jackie

Lisa Simpson February 23rd 06 03:44 AM

preselctor?

I can hear more than one station on some freq's . . .

"John S." wrote in message
oups.com...

Lisa Simpson wrote:
Fishing for recommendations for antenna preselectors that would work

well
with a Radio Shack DX-394 & Eavesdropper C antenna . . .

What is the problem that you want to cure with the preselector.

HFguy February 23rd 06 04:36 AM

preselctor?

Lisa Simpson wrote:

I can hear more than one station on some freq's . . .

"John S." wrote in message
oups.com...

Lisa Simpson wrote:

Fishing for recommendations for antenna preselectors that would work

well

with a Radio Shack DX-394 & Eavesdropper C antenna . . .

Lisa,

As you probably know, it's not uncommon for more than one shortwave
station (country) to be using the same frequency at the same time.
However if one or more of the stations you're hearing is not actually
transmitting on that particular frequency, you have either an *image
rejection* problem or *intermodulation* (Google those two topics). The
first is caused by insufficient selectivity in the receivers' front-end,
while the latter results from not enough dynamic range. A passive
preselector should help to reduce both of these problems.

David February 23rd 06 01:43 PM

preselctor?

On Thu, 23 Feb 2006 04:36:29 GMT, HFguy wrote:

Lisa Simpson wrote:

I can hear more than one station on some freq's . . .

"John S." wrote in message
oups.com...

Lisa Simpson wrote:

Fishing for recommendations for antenna preselectors that would work

well

with a Radio Shack DX-394 & Eavesdropper C antenna . . .

Lisa,

As you probably know, it's not uncommon for more than one shortwave
station (country) to be using the same frequency at the same time.
However if one or more of the stations you're hearing is not actually
transmitting on that particular frequency, you have either an *image
rejection* problem or *intermodulation* (Google those two topics). The
first is caused by insufficient selectivity in the receivers' front-end,
while the latter results from not enough dynamic range. A passive
preselector should help to reduce both of these problems.

Image is caused by multiple IFs being present. It is an inherent
design quirk in single conversion receivers. Unless a receiver is a
TRF style, it is not expected to have any front-end selectivity beyond
broad bandpass filters.

[email protected] February 23rd 06 03:20 PM

preselctor?

Sometimes,I hear two stations on the same frequency.What is needed is a
good null out antenna.
cuhulin

bpnjensen February 23rd 06 03:44 PM

preselctor?

Sometimes,I hear two stations on the same frequency.What is needed is a
good null out antenna.
cuhulin

By this I assume you mean a steerable loop; this can be a good solution
if both are actually on that frequency. That MFJ Noise Canceller I
use, in addition to zapping noise, can also null out offending stations
using two phased antennas. It can kill a pretty strong station well
enough to reveal a much weaker one underneath. The only drawback to
this unit that I can see is that it can only zap one noise source or
station at a time. Multiple interference sources would require
multiple units in series; and I'm not sure what that would do to the
signal either. Others here have tried multiple unit noise canceller
arrays with success.

Bruce Jensen

Ed February 23rd 06 04:43 PM

preselector?

Hi Lisa,

I, too, have an MFJ-1046 passive preselector. I use it in conjunction
with an MFJ-959C Antenna Tuner/Preamp. As I live in an electrically
quiet area about 35 miles WNW of Boston, I mostly do not need either of
them, but they help pull out weak signals.

More generally, there really are not a lot of preselectors out there
anymore. Try visiting Yahoo Groups shortwave antennas
http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Shortw...guid=257362530

Bob Betts has a preselector construction project that has been much
discussed there.

All best,

Ed Bush

Lisa Simpson wrote:
This helped a lot. I ordered the MFJ956!

"junius" wrote in message
ups.com...
Hi Lisa,

I've used a number of MFJ preslectors in conjunction with a number of
receivers. The most basic and inexpensive is the MFJ-956, recommended
earlier in this thread by David. It's a decent, non-fussy little unit
that really doesn't require too much re-tuning as you scan across a
given band. The same can largely be said of the MFJ-1045C which I
recently picked up from Grove. The 1045C, though, is an active
preselector, so you'd have some gain added to your signal. I don't
know that you'd necessarily want or need additional gain; I don't have
any experience with the receiver you're working with. The 1045C runs
off of an AC adapter or can be run off a 9 V battery. The option of
running the unit off a battery can be nice if you ever take your
receiver out into the field. Note: the 1045C is advertised on the
websites of some retailers as being made to accomodate 2 receivers and
2 antennae. I called MFJ a week and a half back (prior to ordering a
1045C) and was informed by a tech at MFJ that the 1045C is designed for
one antenna and one receiver: there are no radio 1/2 or antenna 1/2
switches as on the MFJ 1040C preselector (also distinguishing the two:
the 1040C does not allow for 9V battery operation, and the 1040C is
designed to permit use w/a transceiver). The 1045C looks a lot like
the MFJ 1020C active antenna (which is sometimes advertised as being
useful as an active preselector); the 1045C and 1020C are similar in
appearance/layout of controls. According to the MFJ tech, though, the
internals of the two are quite different and the 1045C is to be
preferred where the preselection function is concerned.
The other MFJ preselector to consider is the MFJ-1046, which is
advertised as a "high dynamic range passive preselector". This was my
first preselector and it remains the one I use most often. One thing I
particularly like aobut it is that I've not noticed any signal loss in
using it. And more often than not, I have no need for any
amplification of the signal. This preselector is pretty narrow in its
bandwidth, so it often requires a few small tuning adjustments as you
tune across a given SW BC band.

In any case, hope some of this helps.

Junius

[email protected] February 23rd 06 06:02 PM

preselector?

Best thing is an antenna farm and a box with enough jacks on it.Plug and
unplug like those old Western Electric telephone boards.
cuhulin