Old February 22nd 06, 03:32 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave
Lisa Simpson

Default preselctor?

Fishing for recommendations for antenna preselectors that would work well
with a Radio Shack DX-394 & Eavesdropper C antenna . . .

Old February 22nd 06, 03:38 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave
David

On Wed, 22 Feb 2006 15:32:04 GMT, "Lisa Simpson"
wrote:

Fishing for recommendations for antenna preselectors that would work well
with a Radio Shack DX-394 & Eavesdropper C antenna . . .

MFJ-956

Old February 22nd 06, 03:58 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

www.google.com MFJ Enterprises Preselectors

Some people call MFJ,Mighty Fine Junk.Some people are satisfied with MFJ
products.
cuhulin

Old February 22nd 06, 04:16 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

www.mfjenterprises.com/reviews.php

MFJ is an Enterprise too.How can you beat that? Of course MFJ probally
doesn't publish any unfavorable reviews.
cuhulin

Old February 22nd 06, 04:34 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave
bpnjensen

MFJ is an Enterprise too.How can you beat that? Of course MFJ probally
doesn't publish any unfavorable reviews.
cuhulin

I have an MFJ Noise Canceller that works pretty well and about as
advertised. It is not the be-all and end-all, nor do I have the
optimal antenna configuration going into it (it works best with two
similar antennas at about 1/4 to 1/2 wavelength, or antenna length,
apart - I have two dissimilar antennas), but it takes a chunk out of
the most offensive noise when I need it.

I'd be willing to try their more expensive model preselector for
$69.95; I may just do that one of these days, since a good deal of my
grief comes from two or three local 50kW transmitters on MW splattering
across 2-6 mHz. Mr. Parfitt has suggested (among other good ideas -
bless him) that the transmitters themselves may be to blame, and he may
well be right - nonetheless, if I can do something cheap to potentially
reduce their effects, it would be worth a try.

Bruce Jensen

Old February 22nd 06, 07:52 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave
David

On Wed, 22 Feb 2006 09:58:20 -0600, wrote:

www.google.com MFJ Enterprises Preselectors

Some people call MFJ,Mighty Fine Junk.Some people are satisfied with MFJ
products.
cuhulin

You do need to tighten all the screws and check all the connections
when you get their stuff. But I always take stuff apart anyway.

Old February 22nd 06, 09:08 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave
Telamon

In article ,
"Lisa Simpson" wrote:

Fishing for recommendations for antenna preselectors that would work well
with a Radio Shack DX-394 & Eavesdropper C antenna . . .

http://www.universal-radio.com/catalog/preamps/2964.html

http://www.universal-radio.com/catalog/preamps/3736.html

You might want to look on Ebay.

This does not have a power supply and it is not known if it is working
so I would stay away from this one.

http://cgi.ebay.com/MFJ-Preselector-...emZ5870550105Q
QcategoryZ15051QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewIt em

--
Telamon
Ventura, California
Old February 22nd 06, 09:27 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave
Lisa Simpson

Went to the MFJ website & ordered the 956 preselector. Hope their products
are better than their website & ordering process! : }

Old February 22nd 06, 09:28 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave
junius

Default preselector?

Hi Lisa,

I've used a number of MFJ preslectors in conjunction with a number of
receivers. The most basic and inexpensive is the MFJ-956, recommended
earlier in this thread by David. It's a decent, non-fussy little unit
that really doesn't require too much re-tuning as you scan across a
given band. The same can largely be said of the MFJ-1045C which I
recently picked up from Grove. The 1045C, though, is an active
preselector, so you'd have some gain added to your signal. I don't
know that you'd necessarily want or need additional gain; I don't have
any experience with the receiver you're working with. The 1045C runs
off of an AC adapter or can be run off a 9 V battery. The option of
running the unit off a battery can be nice if you ever take your
receiver out into the field. Note: the 1045C is advertised on the
websites of some retailers as being made to accomodate 2 receivers and
2 antennae. I called MFJ a week and a half back (prior to ordering a
1045C) and was informed by a tech at MFJ that the 1045C is designed for
one antenna and one receiver: there are no radio 1/2 or antenna 1/2
switches as on the MFJ 1040C preselector (also distinguishing the two:
the 1040C does not allow for 9V battery operation, and the 1040C is
designed to permit use w/a transceiver). The 1045C looks a lot like
the MFJ 1020C active antenna (which is sometimes advertised as being
useful as an active preselector); the 1045C and 1020C are similar in
appearance/layout of controls. According to the MFJ tech, though, the
internals of the two are quite different and the 1045C is to be
preferred where the preselection function is concerned.
The other MFJ preselector to consider is the MFJ-1046, which is
advertised as a "high dynamic range passive preselector". This was my
first preselector and it remains the one I use most often. One thing I
particularly like aobut it is that I've not noticed any signal loss in
using it. And more often than not, I have no need for any
amplification of the signal. This preselector is pretty narrow in its
bandwidth, so it often requires a few small tuning adjustments as you
tune across a given SW BC band.

In any case, hope some of this helps.

Junius

Old February 22nd 06, 09:39 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave
Telamon

In article ,
"Lisa Simpson" wrote:

Went to the MFJ website & ordered the 956 preselector. Hope their products
are better than their website & ordering process! : }

"Telamon" wrote in message
In article ,
"Lisa Simpson" wrote:

Fishing for recommendations for antenna preselectors that would work

well
with a Radio Shack DX-394 & Eavesdropper C antenna . . .

http://www.universal-radio.com/catalog/preamps/2964.html

http://www.universal-radio.com/catalog/preamps/3736.html

You might want to look on Ebay.

This does not have a power supply and it is not known if it is working
so I would stay away from this one.

http://cgi.ebay.com/MFJ-Preselector-...emZ5870550105Q
QcategoryZ15051QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewIt em

Well I hope it does what you want it to do. In another thread you spoke
of co-channel interference and a tuner can't help you with that but it
will help you if you have an image problem.

--
Telamon
Ventura, California