Old February 24th 06, 03:25 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave
junius

Default Sony SW77 general questions

Nice set. Sensitive. Good sync detector. Drawbacks lay primarily in
the chuffing that accompanies tuning wheel/disc use and the horrible FM
reception.

Some folks don't find this size particularly portable; I guess b/c
we've become so accustomed to more compact portable sets. But such
compact sets don't offer the performance of an SW77.

Sure, it'll be more portable than your R72. And it's good on
batteries/cells. While not ideal for SSB reception, it's certainly one
of the better portables for such applications (50 Hz tuning
increments).

There're loads of threads about the SW77 in the rec.radio.shortwave
archives:

http://groups.google.com/group/rec.r...rch+this+group

You can see here where someone compared their SW77 against the R75:

http://groups.google.com/group/rec.r...7b2ac931ddd57a

Anyway, loads of info on the archives. Do check it out.

Old February 24th 06, 03:35 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave
Jim Hackett

You pretty much said it all but there is a mod to reduce the chuffing. I
hesitate to cal it an anti-chuffing mod because it STILL chuffs, just not as
bad.
It is my second favorite portable. The 5900w is my favorite rfor all
different reasons, of course...

"junius" wrote in message
oups.com...
Nice set. Sensitive. Good sync detector. Drawbacks lay primarily in
the chuffing that accompanies tuning wheel/disc use and the horrible FM
reception.

Some folks don't find this size particularly portable; I guess b/c
we've become so accustomed to more compact portable sets. But such
compact sets don't offer the performance of an SW77.

Sure, it'll be more portable than your R72. And it's good on
batteries/cells. While not ideal for SSB reception, it's certainly one
of the better portables for such applications (50 Hz tuning
increments).

There're loads of threads about the SW77 in the rec.radio.shortwave
archives:

http://groups.google.com/group/rec.r...p=rec.radio.sh
ortwave&q=SW77&qt_g=1&searchnow=Search+this+group

You can see here where someone compared their SW77 against the R75:

http://groups.google.com/group/rec.r...ad/thread/f4d9
108385428e44/7a7b2ac931ddd57a?q=SW77&rnum=1#7a7b2ac931ddd57a

Anyway, loads of info on the archives. Do check it out.

Old February 24th 06, 05:48 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

I have never owned a Sony SW77 before,but from what I have read about
them before,they are good radios.
cuhulin

Sangean ATS-909 vs. Sony ICF-7600GR ngu Shortwave 19 January 30th 06 11:31 AM
The FAQ (Well, Question 1, at least) Airy R.Bean General 20 February 22nd 05 07:04 PM
Sony SW77 question... Sean Chercover Shortwave 8 June 29th 04 11:17 PM
Sony SW77 Value? DeWayne Shortwave 2 December 3rd 03 12:22 PM
Sony 7600 GR Reception of WGN Chicago (AM 720) Bob D Shortwave 16 September 14th 03 05:21 PM