Old February 27th 06, 01:04 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave
sipa

Default Q: GWEN

Hi all!

First, please excuse me for my bad English

Does any one have link(s) to papers or referates about gwen (ground wave
emergency network). I found some links trying google but with no good
details.

If someone have paper on hard-drive too, please send it to my adress

Thanx a lot!

73!
Greeting from Croatia, 9A

--
PAZNJA! NEPRIJATELJ PRISLUSKUJE

Old February 27th 06, 01:18 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave
Verstaldin

Default GWEN

http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&q=GWEN

Try this link to a google search. As I recall, GWEN was deactivated some
years ago with the shifting political fortunes of the "cold war" and the
changing mission of our nuclear submarine fleet.

Old February 27th 06, 05:44 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave
Mark Zenier

In article . net,
Verstaldin wrote:
http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&q=GWEN

Try this link to a google search. As I recall, GWEN was deactivated some
years ago with the shifting political fortunes of the "cold war" and the
changing mission of our nuclear submarine fleet.

It wasn't something to do with the submarine fleet, it was a digital
packet radio network, for either FEMA or the DOD, that ran in the Lowfer
band, around 170 kHz with fairly high (10 kw?) power. The idea was that
it was a survivable network where they could put a bunch of packet relay
tranceivers all across the country in rural areas.

It ran into the NIMBY factor and the Peace Movement. The thought that
your town out in the sticks could become the target of a nuclear attack
just because they put up a tower and a shed full of transmitters caused
a lot of opposition.

Too slow (bits per second) for the cost was probably a factor.

Mark Zenier