Old March 5th 06, 07:28 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave
switcher

Default sangean ats909 versus sony 7600g

http://www.winsor.f9.co.uk/Site/Rx%2...0portatifs.htm

sens/select seems to be better on the sangean.

Do/did ( ;-) you agree ??

I hope the drm s are coming ...

--
een appeltje te schillen met http://applefaulty.be
http://users.fulladsl.be/spb13810/bwnl.htm
Old March 5th 06, 09:29 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave
Bob Miller

On Sun, 05 Mar 2006 20:28:03 +0100, switcher
wrote:

http://www.winsor.f9.co.uk/Site/Rx%2...0portatifs.htm

sens/select seems to be better on the sangean.

My Sangean-made C.C.Radio has a display that became inscrutible after
about a year -- it stopped showing the appropos numbers. Don't know
that all Sangean radios do that, but mine did.

bob
k5qwg

Do/did ( ;-) you agree ??

I hope the drm s are coming ...

Old March 6th 06, 12:02 AM
Senior Member

I prefer the performance of the 7600G. I generally prefered running a length of wire to improve the sensitivity of the '909, whereas I didn't always find this to be required for the 7600G. I tended to run both off of batteries, rather than off AC. The '909 is something of a battery hog, whereas the 7600G is not. As for selectivity, while I liked having two bandwidths w/the '909, the 7600G's synchronous selectable sideband can be a real life-saver in dealing w/adjacent channel interference (as well as fading). Given a choice between either dual bandwidth filters or synchronous selectable sideband (in conjunction w/one well chosen bandwidth filter) in a compact portable, I guess I'd go (as I have) with the latter. Sold the '909 and haven't regretted having done so.
__________________
Into blinding darkness enter those who worship ignorance; and those who delight in knowledge enter into still greater darkness, as it were.
-- Isavasya Upanishad
Old March 6th 06, 12:58 AM posted to rec.radio.shortwave
m II

wrote:

http://www.winsor.f9.co.uk/Site/Rx%2...0portatifs.htm

sens/select seems to be better on the sangean.

My Sangean-made C.C.Radio has a display that became inscrutible after
about a year -- it stopped showing the appropos numbers. Don't know
that all Sangean radios do that, but mine did.

bob
k5qwg

Do/did ( ;-) you agree ??

I hope the drm s are coming ...

My 909 and dx398 are both still fine after more than three or four years
of use. I returned a 7600 when I found no noticeable difference in use
with or without the synch detector. The lack of a proper tuning knob was
another deciding factor.

mike
Old March 6th 06, 02:31 AM posted to rec.radio.shortwave
Telamon

In article ,
switcher wrote:

http://www.winsor.f9.co.uk/Site/Rx%2...0portatifs.htm

sens/select seems to be better on the sangean.

Do/did ( ;-) you agree ??

I hope the drm s are coming ...

I can't give an opinion on the Sangean 909 because I don't own one but I
like my Sony 7600G a lot. It's a great portable radio.

The Sangean 909 is supposed to be a good radio.

I hope DRM dies a quick death.

--
Telamon
Ventura, California

Old March 6th 06, 02:35 AM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

wrote:

http://www.winsor.f9.co.uk/Site/Rx%2...0portatifs.htm

sens/select seems to be better on the sangean.

Do/did ( ;-) you agree ??

I hope the drm s are coming ...

I have the Radio Shack badged Sangean 909 and the 7600G. I favor the
7600G as I've found it's selectivity to be better - sensitivity on the
whip is better though that is not an issue once you have about 30 feet
of wire for an antenna. The pluses for the 909 are more memories -
though the 7600GR has narrowed the gap - a tuning knob and finer
tuning for SSB vs a 'clarifier' thumbwheel SSB on the 7600G. I've
found the synch on the 7600G to only sometimes help. Overall, I think
they're close enough that it's hard to fault somebody for choosing one
over the other - depends on which features appeal to you more.
However, the 909 is about $80 more than the 7600GR; read some other
people's opinions but it does have a nice table that compares
features) and choose based on what's important to you.

Old March 6th 06, 03:24 AM posted to rec.radio.shortwave
Telamon

In article ,
Junius wrote:

I prefer the performance of the 7600G. I generally prefered running
a length of wire to improve the sensitivity of the '909, whereas I
didn't always find this to be required for the 7600G. I tended to
run both off of batteries, rather than off AC. The '909 is something
of a battery hog, whereas the 7600G is not. As for selectivity,
while I liked having two bandwidths w/the '909, the 7600G's
synchronous selectable sideband can be a real life-saver in dealing
w/adjacent channel interference (as well as fading). Given a choice
between either dual bandwidth filters or synchronous selectable
sideband (in conjunction w/one well chosen bandwidth filter) in a
compact portable, I guess I'd go (as I have) with the latter. Sold
the '909 and haven't regretted having done so.

The batteries seem to last well for me also. I attribute some of this
longevity to the fact that I use earphones a lot and they don't take as
much power to drive as the built in speaker.

--
Telamon
Ventura, California
Old March 6th 06, 06:03 AM posted to rec.radio.shortwave
SWL-2010

"switcher" wrote in message
http://www.winsor.f9.co.uk/Site/Rx%2...0portatifs.htm

sens/select seems to be better on the sangean.

Do/did ( ;-) you agree ??

I hope the drm s are coming ...

I've had the Dx-398 (909) for about 6 years, and I still love it like it was
brand new. I've had the 7600GR for about 2 years and am indifferent to it in
my portable collection. Myself, I think the Sony is overated. I dont like
the tuning at all. The antenna on mine broke right away, and sync seems OK,
but nothing to scrap my 398 over. I would not sell the Sony, because I
value all my portables, but it does not get much use. However, overall
reception is good on it, and in the end, thats why I like Shortwave Radio
Listening. There's something good in all of them that can pick up shortwave
radio HF signals, that's just my opinion. It's just about the DX.

Old March 6th 06, 07:54 AM posted to rec.radio.shortwave
switcher

In article OOLOf.11893$Cp4.5549@edtnps90, m II
wrote:

I returned a 7600 when I found no noticeable difference in use
with or without the synch detector.

I found the sync on the 7600G better than on the 2001D/2010D ...
Have had both radio's, but kept the 2001D for its other features as sens
& signal meter etc. I use a hula hoop ant and that's fine ...

Old March 6th 06, 10:29 AM posted to rec.radio.shortwave
Charly

Telamon wrote:
The batteries seem to last well for me also. I attribute some of this
longevity to the fact that I use earphones a lot and they don't take as
much power to drive as the built in speaker.

So do I, I'm running on ni-mh 1700 mAh rechargeable batteries and it last 2 to 4
weeks depending on how often/long I listen to the radio.

I can't speak for the 7600 I never had, but I have also the Sony SW100 and
sensitivity of the 909 is above the Sony. The Sync of the Sony does help
sometimes, but often the 909 has a better signal anyway.

I'll stay with the 909 for the DX with an external antenna... And yes, the
tuning knob is quite compfortable...

Charly