Old March 8th 06, 02:31 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave
Frank Dresser

Default WGN joinsssss the dark ssssside

They're transmitting IBOC sidebands now.

Frank Dresser

Old March 8th 06, 03:34 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

I will try to remember to tune in WGN tonight and hear what it sounds
like.I am a little over seven hundred miles South of Chicago,so I can't
pick them up in the daytime.
cuhulin

Old March 8th 06, 08:59 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave
dxAce

Frank Dresser wrote:

They're transmitting IBOC sidebands now.

Yeah, and WBBM has theirs back on today as well.

IBOC = QRM

dxAce
Michigan
USA

Old March 8th 06, 09:26 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave
Telamon

In article ,
dxAce wrote:

Frank Dresser wrote:

They're transmitting IBOC sidebands now.

Yeah, and WBBM has theirs back on today as well.

IBOC = QRM

It doesn't take a rocket scientist or electrical engineer to understand
the over all quality of reception for analog receivers will get worse
with increasing use of digital transmission modes. Concurrent analog and
digital transmissions are compatible but can only make analog reception
worse. Anybody telling you different is lying to you.

It is stupid to implement digital transmission in a way that degrades
current analog reception. Part of the AMBCB band should be allocated to
digital or the band expanded for digital transmissions. Same for the
awful noise generated by DRM on the short wave bands.

--
Telamon
Ventura, California
Old March 9th 06, 01:15 AM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

I just now tuned in WGN 720 on my radio AM dial.They are talking sports
right now and I hear a buzzy staticky background noise.Is that the iboc
stuff I am hearing? If so,it sure is messed up BAD!
cuhulin

Old March 9th 06, 03:32 AM posted to rec.radio.shortwave
Pete KE9OA

No, the IBOC stuff sounds like
ssssssssssssssshhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh hhhhhhhhh. This occurs on
the channel directly above and directly below the culprit broadcaster. If
you are close to the station, the interference takes up another half channel
in each direction. What a mess! I hope those stations go out of business,
but of course, that is only wishful thinking.

Pete

Old March 9th 06, 03:47 AM posted to rec.radio.shortwave
running dogg

Pete KE9OA wrote:

No, the IBOC stuff sounds like
ssssssssssssssshhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh hhhhhhhhh. This occurs on
the channel directly above and directly below the culprit broadcaster. If
you are close to the station, the interference takes up another half channel
in each direction. What a mess! I hope those stations go out of business,
but of course, that is only wishful thinking.

Anybody remember AM Stereo? Point made. I doubt that IBOC will get
anywhere unless the feds legislate it like they did with HDTV.

Pete

Old March 9th 06, 05:03 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave
Frank Dresser

"running dogg" wrote in message
news

Anybody remember AM Stereo? Point made. I doubt that IBOC will get
anywhere unless the feds legislate it like they did with HDTV.

IBOC is diffferent than AM stereo. First, I think we agree that the number
of people who listen for "audiophile radio" is even smaller than the number
of AM DXers. And IBOCs low bitrate won't satisfy the discerning ear,
anyway.

But IBOC-FM is already multicasting in some markets, and I suspect there's
the capability for IBOC-AM to multicast after ibiquity's anticipated analog
shutdown. I have a further SWL paranoid nutball suspicion that pay radio is
also among the cards up ibiquity's sleeve.

To continue with my wild ass guesses, I don't think multicasting, itself,
will be a big deal. It would be as if Major League Baseball were to double
the team rosters. The teams wouldn't get more stars and superstars, those
guys are already in the big leagues. The teams would fill up the rosters
from the bottom. So it might be with multicasting. The stations could fill
in with some niche formats.

But, if CBS had their own pay radio scheme in place, they likely could have
kept Howard Stern.

Frank Dresser

Old March 9th 06, 05:18 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave
Frank Dresser

"Pete KE9OA" wrote in message
. ..
No, the IBOC stuff sounds like
ssssssssssssssshhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh hhhhhhhhh. This occurs

on
the channel directly above and directly below the culprit broadcaster. If
you are close to the station, the interference takes up another half

channel
in each direction. What a mess! I hope those stations go out of business,
but of course, that is only wishful thinking.

Pete

Right now, IBOC-AM is supposed to be limited to the daytime hours, although
I seem to remember one of the stations in the early days of IBOC was
transmitting IBOC well into the evening. It might have been WCKY. Anyway,
that's the first time I heard that damn IBOC noise.

wrote in message
I just now tuned in WGN 720 on my radio AM dial.They are talking sports
right now and I hear a buzzy staticky background noise.Is that the iboc
stuff I am hearing? If so,it sure is messed up BAD!
cuhulin

You can find IBOC stations he

http://ibiquity.com/hdradio/hdradio_hdstations.htm

Frank Dresser

BPL goes dark in Cedar Rapids Iowa yea right Antenna 2 July 3rd 04 03:07 PM
BPL goes dark in Cedar Rapids Iowa yea right Shortwave 0 July 3rd 04 03:58 AM
Dark Matter Maximus Shortwave 4 March 16th 04 02:16 AM
Tim Nebo Turn Away From The Dark Side, Leland Is Your Father Slap Happie CB 2 March 9th 04 08:39 PM
Tim Nebo Turn Away From The Dark Side, Leland Is Your Father Slap Happie CB 0 March 9th 04 01:17 AM