RadioBanter

-   -   Why Antenna Tuners Aren't Necessarily Useful for Shortwave Listening - Question Shortwave Listening (SWL) Antenna Tuners - Do You Have An Opinion ? (https://www.radiobanter.com/shortwave/90164-re-why-antenna-tuners-arent-necessarily-useful-shortwave-listening-question-shortwave-listening-swl-antenna-tuners-do-you-have-opinion.html)

David March 12th 06 04:04 PM

The Next Step - The Low Noise Inverted "L" {Random Wire} Antenn...

On Sun, 12 Mar 2006 09:44:00 -0600, wrote:

I am thinking I might string a sloper antenna wire out in my back
yard.If I think an antenna tuner might be usefull for me,I will drive on
over to MFG Enterprises and let them folks suggest something for me.Noo
to much a drive for me to make,we are in the same State.
cuhulin,the Mississippi

Unless you have a real radio I wouldn't bother. Is your Royal 1000
working?

David March 12th 06 04:24 PM

The Next Step - The Low Noise Inverted "L" {Random Wire} Antenna - Question Shortwave Listening (SWL) Antenna Tuners - Do You Have An Opinion ?

On Sun, 12 Mar 2006 07:42:11 -0800, wrote:

On Sun, 12 Mar 2006 15:33:26 GMT, David wrote:

On Sun, 12 Mar 2006 14:26:15 GMT, Bob Miller
wrote:

On 11 Mar 2006 23:12:08 -0800, "RHF"
wrote:

A random length dipole will work as well as any random length "wire."
With or without an antenna tuner. And be easier to feed.

Bob
k5qwg

''Random length dipole'' makes little sense.

aka 'Doublet' where you have two equal lengths of wire that are not
cut to any specific frequency, rather they are cut to fit the maximum
dimension you have available. Doublets are typically fed with
twinlead and a tuner is used.

Dipole Slide Show:

http://www.ycars.org/presentations/b...20part%20i.ppt

Bob Miller March 12th 06 05:26 PM

wrote:

A random length dipole will work as well as any random length "wire."
With or without an antenna tuner. And be easier to feed.

Bob
k5qwg

''Random length dipole'' makes little sense.

aka 'Doublet' where you have two equal lengths of wire that are not
cut to any specific frequency, rather they are cut to fit the maximum
dimension you have available. Doublets are typically fed with
twinlead and a tuner is used.

An alternative would be a non-random length dipole resonant on several
swl bands without the need for an antenna tuner. See...

http://www.universal-radio.com/catalog/sw_ant/3377.html

I used to have the sloper version of the above. Worked great.

bob
k5qwg

David March 12th 06 05:41 PM

The Next Step - The Low Noise Inverted "L" {Random Wire} Antenna - Question Shortwave Listening (SWL) Antenna Tuners - Do You Have An Opinion ?

http://www.hamuniverse.com/multidipole.html

David March 12th 06 05:52 PM

http://www.dxzone.com/cgi-bin/dir/jump2.cgi?ID=7499

[email protected] March 12th 06 06:32 PM

The Next Step - The Low Noise Inverted"L" {Random Wire} Antenn...

www.google.com MP3 Music Poland

Allyey wetahhhh,,,, shock me Alliwetahhhhh,,,,,,,,
cuhulin
(Polish music jazz)

Bob Miller March 12th 06 09:31 PM

The Next Step - The Low Noise Inverted "L" {Random Wire} Antenn...

On Sun, 12 Mar 2006 09:44:00 -0600, wrote:

I am thinking I might string a sloper antenna wire out in my back
yard.If I think an antenna tuner might be usefull for me,I will drive on
over to MFG Enterprises and let them folks suggest something for me.Noo
to much a drive for me to make,we are in the same State.
cuhulin,the Mississippi

The MFJ 16010 random wire tuner would do well with your sloper; runs
about $49.99...

Say howdy to Martin...

bob
k5qwg

Telamon March 12th 06 10:21 PM

The Next Step - The Low Noise Inverted "L" {Random Wire} Antenna - Question Shortwave Listening (SWL) Antenna Tuners - Do You Have An Opinion ?

In article . com,
wrote:

Hey, you asked for opinions in your first post
of the thread. If you don't like my opinions, thats
too bad. An antenna is an antenna is an antenna.
Do you think when I switch from a SWL to a ham band,
I need to switch antenna types? LOL...You guys kill me..

I did not ask to get bagged on by an amateur. Learn to post without
being offensive.

--
Telamon
Ventura, California

Telamon March 12th 06 10:28 PM

The Next Step - The Low Noise Inverted "L" {Random Wire} Antenna - Question Shortwave Listening (SWL) Antenna Tuners - Do You Have An Opinion ?

In article ,
wrote:

On 12 Mar 2006 01:08:39 -0800,
wrote:

Hey, you asked for opinions in your first post
of the thread. If you don't like my opinions, thats
too bad. An antenna is an antenna is an antenna.
Do you think when I switch from a SWL to a ham band,
I need to switch antenna types? LOL...You guys kill me..
MK

Well how can your receiver work with an antenna made for transmit 8-}

Basically (theoretically) an antenna made for transmit is just as
suitable for receive. This is called reciprocity.

This concept falls apart two ways in practicality:
1. The transmit situation has to handle power the receive situation does
not so for transmit the antenna elements need to be "beefier."
2. A less than full size antenna made resonant may work very well for
transmit but for receive not as well. Less than full size for receive
lowers the antenna efficiency.

--
Telamon
Ventura, California

Telamon March 12th 06 10:36 PM

wrote:

A random length dipole will work as well as any random length "wire."
With or without an antenna tuner. And be easier to feed.

Bob
k5qwg

''Random length dipole'' makes little sense.

aka 'Doublet' where you have two equal lengths of wire that are not
cut to any specific frequency, rather they are cut to fit the maximum
dimension you have available. Doublets are typically fed with
twinlead and a tuner is used.

The concept here is that on receive size matters so a dipole antenna
made for the lowest frequency band you want to receive will be a
multiple wavelength antenna on higher frequencies. The only rub here is
that it will not work well on even harmonics so be sure to pick a size
that ends up as an odd electrical harmonic length on the higher bands.

--
Telamon
Ventura, California