Old March 11th 06, 06:20 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave
David

Default New LongWire Antenna - What Type Wire?

On Sat, 11 Mar 2006 12:55:16 -0500, "markey"
wrote:

Hey David...

http://cgi.ebay.com/Teflon-Wire-Silv...cm dZViewItem

DUUUUUHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!

Ebay **** is stolen half the time. I support people I can look in the
eye.

Old March 11th 06, 07:07 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave
Verstaldin

I like insulated multistrand bell wire. You can pay fro fancier wire, but
sooner or later, after a few years, the wire will get rusty and corroded and
it will need to be replaced. Any hardware store or grange should have
suitable wire. I'm not sure how long you want it to be, but make sure you
have a static-lightening arrestor connected to it to protect your system
s.

All life all holiness come from you O Lord

http://home.earthlink.net/~damienmj/index.htm
http://home.earthlink.net/~damianomj/swallowindex.htm
"James Douglas" wrote in message
. ..
As my existing fence is falling down and I have saved the 3K to replace it
it's also time for a new antenna. What type of wire would be best?
My existing antenna is around the fence about 8' in the area and the
area is shaped like [ with the long side running North/South.

Old March 11th 06, 07:11 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave
Steve

Like your dealer?

I'll bet your eyes are yellow.

Old March 11th 06, 07:18 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave
Bob Miller

On Sat, 11 Mar 2006 18:19:44 GMT, David wrote:

On Sat, 11 Mar 2006 12:53:02 -0500, "markey"
wrote:

Oh and by the way ****bird?

Wire from Home Depot and Lowes are also TFE OR PVC coated!

How bout I send you dozens of rolls of lets say ...#10 for 400$ each!

You dip****

Damn, Girl. Switch to decaf.

You were saying 12 g was $40 for 500'.

I paid $25 at Lowe's Home Improvement for a 500' roll of 12g solid
insulated -- course, that was a year or two ago. Might be $10-$15
higher now.

The specialized wire places have nice wire -- and I've bought my share
of it -- but basic copper is pretty cheap at the big-box stores.

bob
k5qwg
Old March 11th 06, 07:31 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave
David

wrote:

Oh and by the way ****bird?

Wire from Home Depot and Lowes are also TFE OR PVC coated!

How bout I send you dozens of rolls of lets say ...#10 for 400$ each!

You dip****

Damn, Girl. Switch to decaf.

You were saying 12 g was $40 for 500'.

I paid $25 at Lowe's Home Improvement for a 500' roll of 12g solid
insulated -- course, that was a year or two ago. Might be $10-$15
higher now.

The specialized wire places have nice wire -- and I've bought my share
of it -- but basic copper is pretty cheap at the big-box stores.

bob
k5qwg

Stranded, Tinned, Teflon.

But, that's not important. Typical nut-job drivin into the ditch.

Old March 11th 06, 07:34 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave
David

On 11 Mar 2006 11:11:11 -0800, "Steve"
wrote:

Like your dealer?

I'll bet your eyes are yellow.

Dude. I never got anything resembling jaundice. Asymtomatic. A
$9,600 in and out mind ****. Nothing more. In fact, you are by far
the most annoying aspect of the whole deal.

You do realize that because of this you're going to get some karma
back...

Old March 11th 06, 07:38 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave
David

On Sat, 11 Mar 2006 19:07:54 GMT, "Verstaldin"
wrote:

I like insulated multistrand bell wire. You can pay fro fancier wire, but
sooner or later, after a few years, the wire will get rusty and corroded and
it will need to be replaced. Any hardware store or grange should have
suitable wire. I'm not sure how long you want it to be, but make sure you
have a static-lightening arrestor connected to it to protect your system
s.

All life all holiness come from you O Lord

Thanks. I need all the holinesses I can gets.

That's why I use the tinned stuff for contact antennas. For pole and
insulator antennas I have this stuff from Home Depot called chandelier
wire, whic is about 20 g twisted copper. It turns green but doesn't
stretch or anything. That's what my 50 foot wire is. Between 2 egg
insulators driving a Palomar MLB.

I've also had excellent results with solid steel wire, which is $4 for
120 feet.

Old March 11th 06, 09:31 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave
Telamon

In article ,
James Douglas wrote:

As my existing fence is falling down and I have saved the 3K to replace
it it's also time for a new antenna. What type of wire would be best?
My existing antenna is around the fence about 8' in the area and the
area is shaped like [ with the long side running North/South.

Considering
1. Price
2. Conductor performance.
3. Insulation longevity

1. Discount warehouse home improvement hardware stores.

2. If you were to hang it up on insulators where the wire would have to
support its own weight I would give a different answer but you indicate
that the new fence will support it so best and cheapest would be solid
copper and large diameter. The RF current at medium wave and short wave
has a tendency to travel on the exterior of the wire so the resistance
to RF current flow is much higher than it is for DC, which tends to use
more of the wires cross-sectional area. This Rf effect is know as the
skin effect so since the RF current only travels in the "skin" of the
wire a larger diameter for a long stretch provides a helpful improvement
in performance.

How big to go in diameter? Well bigger means larger circumference.
According to this web page calculator 15 MHz has a rounded skin depth of
0.000662 inch. That's a pretty thin layer so a step in wire size must
mean a significant drop in RF resistance per foot. I would go with the
largest wire size available for a reasonable price. Something in the #6,
8 or 10 size would be a good bet.

3. Must withstand the sun and weather effects. Teflon coated is the same
color of the fence would be a good choice.

--
Telamon
Ventura, California
Old March 11th 06, 10:03 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave
David

On Sat, 11 Mar 2006 21:31:41 GMT, Telamon
wrote:

In article ,
James Douglas wrote:

[...]

???

If ''skin effect'' is a consideration you want stranded, not solid.

But for receiving it's not a factor.

Old March 11th 06, 11:34 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave
James Douglas

James Douglas wrote:
As my existing fence is falling down and I have saved the 3K to replace
it it's also time for a new antenna. What type of wire would be best?
My existing antenna is around the fence about 8' in the area and the
area is shaped like [ with the long side running North/South.

I ended up getting 500' of #14 stranded copper, with 15mils insulation
for $28.00, they wanted $32.00 for 200' taken from the large spool? WTF?

Now I may extend the antenna to include a piece that runs across the top
of the roof, which on my house is about 30' up in the air! Would that be
good or bad, again I have 150' around the fence that runs in the shape
of a C, what if I added a "extender" across the roof vent and ran a wire
down the to main antenna? I have heard that "higher is better"

I am also thinking about adding a two foot extension to the fence posts
so that I can get the antenna up a little higher but am wondering what
the neighbors are going to think?

I do have a balun from Erickson Enginering, which seems to help so far
although conditions have not been favorable here lately, and also have
8' copper rod pounded into the ground.

WHY - The simple Random Wire Antenna is better than the Dipole Antenna for the Shortwave Listener (SWL) RHF Shortwave 15 September 13th 05 08:28 AM
Two Shortwave Listener (SWL) 10:1 Baluns for Random Wire Antennas RHF Swap 0 October 6th 04 09:51 PM
LongWire Antenna Jim B Shortwave 5 March 2nd 04 09:36 AM
Question for better antenna mavens than I Tony Meloche Shortwave 7 October 28th 03 09:16 AM