Old March 12th 06, 03:20 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave
David

Default Quick and Dirty Antenna With Good Performance (especially way out west)

I have an MFJ-1024 on top of a 20' pole that works very well. It
behaves exactly like a car radio antenna (which the element actually
is). I use it on my little bed side radio (an ICOM R-75) and use it
nightly. Caution: when buying antennas from MFJ or Radio Shack, I
find the first thing you need to do is take them apart and tighten
everything.

The Stoner DA100E is pretty much the same thing, but they may be on
hiatus.

Old March 14th 06, 07:00 AM posted to rec.radio.shortwave
jon

Default Small Vertical {Omni} Active Shortwave Receiving Antenna and Free-Standing "Grounded" Metal Mast {Top-Rail} Mounting

Greetings RHF& All!
I appreciate the posts and ideas here. I have a 102" whip out in my
building that I have been trying to figure out what to do with it. I
can't afford the MFJ-1024 or anything like it. I have the Radio Shack
amplified indoor active antenna. Would it be worth my while to place
the 102" whip on top of the rail as you suggest and use the ground and
run my coax into the Radio Shack indoor amplified antenna? Would this
perform any better than say a long wire antenna or a loop connected to
my active antenna indoors?
I can see that the active antennas you linked to were of much better
quality and features than the RS antenna. Tell me what you think.
Thanks ahead of time! Jon in South Carolina.

Old March 14th 06, 08:08 AM posted to rec.radio.shortwave
RHF

MK - So 'you' now Claim that 'you' Get Off . . .
Having Someone Hump 'your' Legs / / / / /

Sorry the Topic Here is "Shortwave Radio" and
the "Alt.Sex.Get_Off.Leg_Humping" Group has
a completely different URL and Charter.

My Subject was : Small Vertical {Omni} Active Shortwave
Receiving Antenna and Free-Standing "Grounded" Metal
Mast {Top-Rail} Mounting - - - May not thrill you but it may
provide 'the answer' to a Shortwave Listener (SWL) who
only has a small lot or neighborhood restrictions that limit
his Shortwave Listening (SWL) Antenna Opinions. The SWL
is considering a small Vertical Active Antenna as their
primary Shortwave Listening Antenna.
- - - The SWL's Question - How Do I Mount It ?
What was posted was one option on How-To-Mount a
small Vertical Active Antenna for Shortwave Listening.

MK - Check-Out - REC.RADIO.AMATEUR.ANTENNA
If you are really interested in Amateur Radio {Ham} Antennas
then the "Rec.Radio.Amateur.Antenna" NewsGroup may be
a better Forum to express your views and their Focus is
Amateur Radio Antennas and believe me they do get very
Knowledgeable and Technical in their posting.
http://groups.google.com/group/rec.r...mateur.antenna

mk - it's has been nice hamming it up with 'you' ~ RHF
Old March 14th 06, 11:35 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave
jstrain

jon wrote:
Greetings RHF& All!
I appreciate the posts and ideas here. I have a 102" whip out in my
building that I have been trying to figure out what to do with it. I
can't afford the MFJ-1024 or anything like it. I have the Radio Shack
amplified indoor active antenna. Would it be worth my while to place
the 102" whip on top of the rail as you suggest and use the ground and
run my coax into the Radio Shack indoor amplified antenna? Would this
perform any better than say a long wire antenna or a loop connected to
my active antenna indoors?
I can see that the active antennas you linked to were of much better
quality and features than the RS antenna. Tell me what you think.
Thanks ahead of time! Jon in South Carolina.

Two comkpanies offer active antenna kits worthy of 'sperimentin with.
Each is in the $10 range: Ramsey and tentec

Yodar
Old March 15th 06, 06:03 AM posted to rec.radio.shortwave
jon

Greetings Yodar! I forgot to mention that I also have the Ten Tec
active antenna and for me it does not work quite as well as the Radio
Shack version. I have seen the Ramsey kit online but have not really
studied it. Part of what I am wondering about is what are the
advantages of having an outdoor active antenna verses an indoor active
antenna. Thanks for the suggestion! Have a great week! Jon in South
Carolina.

Old March 16th 06, 11:11 AM posted to rec.radio.shortwave
RHF

JON,

READ - Two Do-It-Yourself "Kits" for Ten-Tec :
RF Pre-Amplifier and Active Antenna
http://groups.google.com/group/rec.r...8c5523e79b8e0a

Take your TenTec Active Antenna and mount it on the
Free-Standing "Grounded" Metal Mast {Top-Rail} as
described in the prior post. Use a CB (10m) Whip
Antenna for the Antenna Element. Ensure that you
have a Ground Rod built into the Concrete Anchor of
the Top-Rail and that the Mast is Grounded. Place a
Snap-On Ferrite Core (Bead) within an Inch or two of
both {each} Ends of the Coax Cable Feed-in-Line
between the Actve Antenna and the Radio.

FWIW - Using the Free-Standing "Grounded" Metal Mast
{Top-Rail} is a good idea for 'mounting' small Vertical Antennas.
1 - Elevates the Antenna away from the RFI/EMF envelope
of your House.
2 - Grounds the Active Antenna Module and Coax Cable
Feed-in-Line.
3 - Run the Coax Cable along the ground; or better yet
Bury the Coax Cable under-the-ground as much as possible.

TIP - Ensure that the Free-Standing "Grounded" Metal Mast
{Top-Rail} is located at least 20 Feet from the House and
other structures to also get it away from the RFI/EMF
envelope of your House.

DISTANCE AWAY - Out-and-Away and Up-and-Away are
both Important to Reducing the 'relative' Noise that your
small Vertical Active Antenna must exist in to pick-up and
receive signals. Placing the Antenna Element Out-Side
the House's RFI/EMF Envelope {Physical Distance} is one
of the simplist and most effective techniques in creating
any Low Noise Antenna.

IMHO - You should here a lot less noise and better quality
signals with this Out-Side small Vertical Active Antenna
set-up then with the RadioShack {InDoor} Active Antenna.

hope this helps - iane ~ RHF