Old March 13th 06, 06:15 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave
Robert11

Default Coax To Coax Noise Transfer ?

Hello:

Am about to start stringing some coax from an outside Receive-Only antenna's
Balun up to
my study where the receiver is.

The easiest thing for me is to run it alongside an existing (looks like
coax, but am not sure) wire
that Comcast has strung for my broadband service to the PC. Actually to
their always on modem which is then
connected to the PC.

Was wondering about coax to coax noise transfer into the receiving antennas
coax from being right alongside
this Comcast stuff.

Think there's any reason for concern ?

If so, worth the trouble to find a new route for the receiving antenna's
coax ?

Thanks,
Bob

Old March 13th 06, 06:28 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

Bunch of Freaks and Queers on c to c Freaks and Queers.George Noory is
the biggest Freak Queer on Planet Earth,, yayyy verily I DO SAY SO,in
the entire Universe.
cuhulin,the Straight minded dude

Old March 13th 06, 07:12 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave
Joe Analssandrini

Dear Bob,

The first and easiest thing to do is to try it running alongside the
Comcast cable. I suspect that you will get some noise but it's possible
that you won't. If you do find that this route doesn't work well you
can then look into finding another route for you wire. Make sure you're
using good quality shielded coax. Hopefully it will work for you.

Best of luck,

Joe

Old March 13th 06, 08:12 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave
Telamon

In article ,
"Robert11" wrote:

Hello:

Am about to start stringing some coax from an outside Receive-Only
antenna's Balun up to my study where the receiver is.

The easiest thing for me is to run it alongside an existing (looks
like coax, but am not sure) wire that Comcast has strung for my
broadband service to the PC. Actually to their always on modem which
is then connected to the PC.

Was wondering about coax to coax noise transfer into the receiving
antennas coax from being right alongside this Comcast stuff.

Think there's any reason for concern ?

If so, worth the trouble to find a new route for the receiving
antenna's coax ?

The two cables running parallel together will cause them to couple
electromagnetically. There are a few way to minimize the coupling
between them.
1. Run them at right angles to each other.
2. Increase the space between them.

It is more likely that you will have a problem when the induced RF
current on the outer braid gets to the end of the radio receiver coax
and couples to the antenna then into the receiver input. It is less
likely that the cable TV cable noise will penetrate the radio receiver
coax.

--
Telamon
Ventura, California
Old March 13th 06, 10:03 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave
David

On Mon, 13 Mar 2006 13:15:47 -0500, "Robert11"
wrote:

Hello:

Am about to start stringing some coax from an outside Receive-Only antenna's
Balun up to
my study where the receiver is.

The easiest thing for me is to run it alongside an existing (looks like
coax, but am not sure) wire
that Comcast has strung for my broadband service to the PC. Actually to
their always on modem which is then
connected to the PC.

Was wondering about coax to coax noise transfer into the receiving antennas
coax from being right alongside
this Comcast stuff.

Think there's any reason for concern ?

If so, worth the trouble to find a new route for the receiving antenna's
coax ?

Thanks,
Bob

If they are both grounded every 50' or so you should be aces.

Old March 13th 06, 10:05 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave
Bob Miller

wrote:

Hello:

Am about to start stringing some coax from an outside Receive-Only antenna's
Balun up to
my study where the receiver is.

The easiest thing for me is to run it alongside an existing (looks like
coax, but am not sure) wire
that Comcast has strung for my broadband service to the PC. Actually to
their always on modem which is then
connected to the PC.

Was wondering about coax to coax noise transfer into the receiving antennas
coax from being right alongside
this Comcast stuff.

Think there's any reason for concern ?

If so, worth the trouble to find a new route for the receiving antenna's
coax ?

Thanks,
Bob

I know my PC creates a lot of hash that is unkind to a sw radio if
it's within 4 feet or so. I don't know if that hash would show up on
the broadband cable. You might get a portable sw radio and hold it
against the cable, where you plan to bring your antenna feed in. If
you don't hear anything extra, you're probably okay. (You could also
try switching your cable modem on and off to verify any noise your
radio picks up.)

bob
k5qwg