Old March 13th 06, 11:58 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave
Robert11

Default RTV Silicone And Coax Outer Jacket: Safe ?

Hello:

Is it safe to use the typical GE RTV silicones against a Polyethylene (PE)
coax outer jacket ?

I know the RTV's use some type of acid (acetic ?) to cure the stuff, and I
was wondering if
anyone might have any first hand experience if there is any kind of
interaction with a coax outer jacket ?

Thanks,
Bob

Old March 14th 06, 01:10 AM posted to rec.radio.shortwave
Telamon

In article ,
"Robert11" wrote:

Hello:

Is it safe to use the typical GE RTV silicones against a Polyethylene
(PE) coax outer jacket ?

I know the RTV's use some type of acid (acetic ?) to cure the stuff,
and I was wondering if anyone might have any first hand experience if
there is any kind of interaction with a coax outer jacket ?

For temporary use black electrical tape. For permanent used the self
sticking sealing tape from Radio Shack and other outlets.

--
Telamon
Ventura, California
Old March 14th 06, 01:42 AM posted to rec.radio.shortwave
markey

The regular Silicone RTV that contains acetic acid will disolve your copper
or tinned braid or even center conductor in a month but will probably not
harm the jacket

They make an acid free version of the silicone RTV thats good for direct
waterproofing of copper and connectors. Coat your connectors with this after
assembly then tape it and it lasts for years!

http://www.dxengineering.com/Parts.a...=DXE-RTV598335

It can be found in some automotive parts stores as well...sure beats black
tape and pretty much anything from Radio shack

Its also referenced in a lot of Motorolla and Harris equipment white
pages....It's really great stuff!

. ..

Old March 14th 06, 02:03 AM posted to rec.radio.shortwave
David

On Mon, 13 Mar 2006 20:42:52 -0500, "markey"
wrote:

The regular Silicone RTV that contains acetic acid will disolve your copper
or tinned braid or even center conductor in a month but will probably not
harm the jacket

They make an acid free version of the silicone RTV thats good for direct
waterproofing of copper and connectors. Coat your connectors with this after
assembly then tape it and it lasts for years!

http://www.dxengineering.com/Parts.a...=DXE-RTV598335

It can be found in some automotive parts stores as well...sure beats black
tape and pretty much anything from Radio shack

Its also referenced in a lot of Motorolla and Harris equipment white
pages....It's really great stuff!

Maybe for potting a circuit board, not for keeping water out of a
connection. Use putty and tape.

http://multimedia.mmm.com/mws/mediaw...6UoXCOrrrr Q-

Old March 14th 06, 08:32 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave
markey

Yea like you have tried it for yourself idiot....I have taken RF connectors
apart after 18 years of temps of 105+ down to -20 and lots of rain...ice and
snow and found em to be as good as the day they were installed. Out of
hundreds I've sealed this way I've never had one to leak...And I'm not going
to mention the hundreds of thousands that were sealed this way on CATV
connectors for the last 20 years in this little town (Chicago) and never
turned up a water soaked one yet.

Why do you put down stuff you know nothing about you drug riddled chunk of
****?

That so called putty/tape stuff you talk about is crap according to people
that put up and install antenna's for a living and thousands of amateur
radio operators as well.That putty from 3M is good for electrical work
inside the house...house wiring to be exact....but not antenna conections
that sway in the breeze ...if the connection moves at all it opens the putty
and lets water in . Think about it dip****??!!

**** off retard...Your just full of bad advice arent you?!!

"David I SUCK BIGUNS!"" whined his ass off in message

Old March 14th 06, 09:37 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave
matt weber

On Mon, 13 Mar 2006 18:58:55 -0500, "Robert11"
wrote:

Hello:

Is it safe to use the typical GE RTV silicones against a Polyethylene (PE)
coax outer jacket ?

I know the RTV's use some type of acid (acetic ?) to cure the stuff, and I
was wondering if
anyone might have any first hand experience if there is any kind of
interaction with a coax outer jacket ?

Thanks,

Doesn't use acid, however the curing process releases acetic acid as
product of the curing process.
Bob

Old March 14th 06, 10:11 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave
David

On Tue, 14 Mar 2006 15:32:00 -0500, "markey"
wrote:

[...]

Gosh. I had no idea we had a Cable Guy in our midst.

Out here we use Snap N Seal connectors for TV cable. I've never heard
of using Permatex on RF connectors. I must've had a sheltered 40
year career in broadcast electronics.

BTW, you use the putty under a standard wrap of 33+. This is only for
mid-air splices or other straight-line connection. A ''bulkhead''
connection should always be in an enclosure.

http://www.tselectronic.com/thomandbetts/sns.html

Old March 15th 06, 12:14 AM posted to rec.radio.shortwave
markey

I'm not a cable guy but I know plenty of them...Your not fooling anyone by
sending links dickhead.Seems your only advice is a link here..and a link
there....only thing that shows is your good at "GOOGLE"

I retired at 37 from the military and have seen and operated **** you only
have wet dreams about as far as communications go asshole.

**** off smegma breath...

Old March 15th 06, 01:39 AM posted to rec.radio.shortwave
David

On Tue, 14 Mar 2006 19:14:09 -0500, "markey"
wrote:

I'm not a cable guy but I know plenty of them...Your not fooling anyone by
sending links dickhead.Seems your only advice is a link here..and a link
there....only thing that shows is your good at "GOOGLE"

I retired at 37 from the military and have seen and operated **** you only
have wet dreams about as far as communications go asshole.

**** off smegma breath...

Officer and a genteleman, eh...