Old March 20th 06, 12:38 AM posted to rec.radio.shortwave
James Douglas

Default Pirate Radio Interfering with AirLine Pilots?

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/11913057/
Old March 20th 06, 01:15 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave
David

On Sun, 19 Mar 2006 18:38:54 -0600, James Douglas
wrote:

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/11913057/

Not necessarily a pirate. Some old receivers (tubes, especially) leak
back through the mixer and up the antenna. Twice the 10.7 mHz IF,
plus the ca. 100 mHz FM broadcast frequency yields an IM product right
in the middle of the Aero Band.

Old March 20th 06, 05:21 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave
N9NEO

Sounds like a stretch to me there David.

I prefer to believe there's some stupid idiot out there interfering
with aeroplane radio comm on purpose.

I propose the authorities take him for a plane ride and toss him out.
Maybe at a height where he has a 50/50 chance of surviving. Let God
decide!

73
Bob

Old March 20th 06, 06:58 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave
Carter, K8VT

N9NEO wrote:
Sounds like a stretch to me

Not really...similar things have happened before.

We have a local FM repeater whose output frequency is 444.0 MHz. If you
were monitoring this repeater while mobile and had a car next to you
that was listening to a local commercial FM station at 100.3, it would
block your receiver at 444.0

Why? The broadcast receiver oscillator was at 111.0 MHz (100.3 + 10.7).
The fourth harmonic of the oscillator was at 444.0 MHz and there was no
doubt that you could hear it!

This particular case didn't sound intentional--just that the pirate in
Miami knew more about hip-hop than harmonics and/or mixing products.

Old March 20th 06, 07:25 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave
David Eduardo

wrote:

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/11913057/

Not necessarily a pirate. Some old receivers (tubes, especially) leak
back through the mixer and up the antenna. Twice the 10.7 mHz IF,
plus the ca. 100 mHz FM broadcast frequency yields an IM product right
in the middle of the Aero Band.

I was actually on American flight 989 from LA to Miami about 3 years ago
when we had to do a fly around on final approach and the pilot announced
that there was "an illegal radio station interfering on the aviation band
and he could not get clear tower instructions." Shortly thereafter, a
Haitian pirate broadcasting in Kreyol was closed.

Old March 20th 06, 07:32 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave
N9NEO

Ok, maybe there is room for compromise. I will admit that the
interference to the aircomm may not have been intentional, but David
will have to change his "Not necessarily a pirate." to most likely a
pirate. In addition I will offer that the authorities shall push the
offender out of a plane or helicopter from a height that would probably
not kill him - After all it was hip hop that this fellow was playing.

regards
NEO

Old March 20th 06, 10:58 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave
David

On 20 Mar 2006 09:21:54 -0800, "N9NEO"
wrote:

Sounds like a stretch to me there David.

I prefer to believe there's some stupid idiot out there interfering
with aeroplane radio comm on purpose.

I propose the authorities take him for a plane ride and toss him out.
Maybe at a height where he has a 50/50 chance of surviving. Let God
decide!

73

No such person as God. Crazy relic from the Bronze Age.