Old March 27th 06, 02:57 AM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

Default GE P990 Antenna Replacement

Hello,

I have a real nice GE P990 that I'd like to fix up. The FM antenna
came apart before I bought the radio and now I can't figure how to put
it together. I have the mast, the spring and a part that presses
against the ball by the spring. I just can't figure how it was hedl
together.

Does anyone have one of these radios? Would you be willing to open it
up and take a picture of the FM antenna set-up and publish it or send
it to me?

The SW on this radio is great !

Thanks!

Randy

Old March 27th 06, 04:48 AM posted to rec.radio.shortwave
David

On Sun, 26 Mar 2006 18:11:15 -0800, running dogg wrote:

Try rec.antiques.radio+phono. That radio was made in the 60s and is much
too old for discussion in this newsgroup. Occasionally people will
discuss older tabletops like the Yaesu FRG-7, but since this group's
focus is on listening, not collecting, most of the discussion centers on
newer, digitally tuned portables such as Sangean, Grundig/Eton/Tecsun,
and Degen.

Huh?

Old March 27th 06, 05:00 AM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

running dogg,

Thanks for the reply.

The GE is just one of my collection of 35+ SW radios, many of which are
newer, digitally tuned ones you mention. Believe it or not, there are
many people who still listen on older analog radios. I've been a SW
listener since the mid 1960's and I've seen better days than now for
the hobby.

I just thought that somebody else may have one of these radios and
could help me out.

I've been to rec.antiques.radio+phono already, that was my first stop.

Well, I guess I'll just have to go back to listening on my FRG-7, a
radio that I find better than any didgital radio I've owned so far...

Thanks again,

Randy

Old March 27th 06, 07:09 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave
running dogg

wrote:

running dogg,

Thanks for the reply.

The GE is just one of my collection of 35+ SW radios, many of which are
newer, digitally tuned ones you mention. Believe it or not, there are
many people who still listen on older analog radios. I've been a SW
listener since the mid 1960's and I've seen better days than now for
the hobby.

The 60s and 70s were really the glory days for the hobby. You could tune
in and hear the Cold War raging LIVE over your radio. Today our enemies
use the internet. It's mostly in Arabic, and visiting the few sites in
English on a regular basis could earn you a visit from the FBI, since
the feds track all internet communication. Iran DOES have that Voice of
Justice broadcast, but I've never heard it here in California with
enough clarity to understand the words.

I just thought that somebody else may have one of these radios and
could help me out.

Actually, I inherited one from my grandfather. The antennas have the
same problem-apparently the little clip or whatever breaks easily, and
the antennas just pull right out. Gramps used his for FM listening only
in his workshop (can you imagine spending $100 in 1964 for a radio that
you'd use only for FM?) and when he was sick and giving everything away
I asked him about the antennas and he shrugged and said it had always
been like that, and he never used the SW portion anyway.

I've been to rec.antiques.radio+phono already, that was my first stop.

Well, I guess I'll just have to go back to listening on my FRG-7, a
radio that I find better than any didgital radio I've owned so far...

The P990 looks like a difficult radio to tune. 6-18 Mc is crammed into a
small space. I would think that the FRG-7 would be easier to tune, since
the bandspread was deliberately spread out to make finding stations
easier.

Outside Antenna Rikk Shortwave 25 March 6th 06 06:53 PM
The Long and Thin Vertical Loop Antenna. [ The Non-Resonance Vertical with a Difference ] RHF Shortwave 0 December 27th 05 06:03 PM
No CounterPoise - Portable Antenna System RHF Shortwave 1 November 19th 05 06:18 PM
Question is 'it' a Longwire {Random Wire} Antenna -or- Inverted "L" Antenna ? RHF Shortwave 5 November 6th 05 04:52 AM
On Topic [email protected] Shortwave 5 November 2nd 05 10:35 AM