RadioBanter

-   -   Shortwave radio vs satellite radio: my perspective (https://www.radiobanter.com/shortwave/92224-re-shortwave-radio-vs-satellite-radio-my-perspective.html)

Bob Miller April 5th 06 03:31 PM

Shortwave radio vs satellite radio: my perspective

On Tue, 04 Apr 2006 20:03:55 -0700, running dogg wrote:

I don't listen to shortwave radio for hours at a stretch. At best, I'll
listen to a half hour of news on the BBC, and RHC's 10 minute news
bulletin-per night. I don't listen to much music. Now tell me again,
David, why I should pay $13/mo for something I'll only use for 2 1/2
hours per week (BBC doesn't have current events coverage on weekends)?
That's about 80 cents an hour. Pricey. I doubt that most people listen
to any more than one or two of satellite radio's dozens of channels.
When Howard Stern moved to Sirius, only about a third of his over the
air fan base moved with him, leading Stern to berate his former fans as
cheap. Satellite radio isn't worth the cost for all but the most
dedicated users. Considering that most people watch 6 hours of TV a day,
cable TV is cheap. But most people don't listen to the radio for hours
on end.

You don't really need shortwave radio or satellite, either, for BBC.
It's on most NPR radio stations daily, several times throughout the
day and/or night.

bob
k5qwg

[email protected] April 6th 06 06:08 AM

Shortwave radio vs satellite radio: my perspective

You don't really need shortwave radio or satellite, either, for BBC.
It's on most NPR radio stations daily, several times throughout the
day and/or night.

bob
k5qwg

You get an hour of The World, not the full riches of Worldservice.

Hudley Pearse

[email protected] April 6th 06 06:26 AM

Shortwave radio vs satellite radio: my perspective

Anything I choose to watch on tv (I dont watch or listen to that
Crackpot stern) is better than listening to stern,and npr.It all
dependes on what programs there are on tv and there are some good
history and technology and science and discovey programs on tv.Next
up,King of the Underworld,,, 1940 Humphrey Bogart movie.
cuhulin

junius April 6th 06 04:04 PM

wrote:
You don't really need shortwave radio or satellite, either, for BBC.
It's on most NPR radio stations daily, several times throughout the
day and/or night.

bob
k5qwg

You get an hour of The World, not the full riches of Worldservice.

Hudley Pearse

Actually, it depends on the NPR affiliate station as to what, if any,
BBC WS programs are carried. WETA, a local NPR station in my listening
area, incorporates large chunks of BBC WS programming into their
weekday schedule: NewsHour from 9:00-10:00 am; the horrible World Have
Your Say program from 1:00-2:00 pm; and continuous overnight WS
programming from 10:00 pm to 6:00 am. Oh, and WETA does work in The
World, as well, from 9:00 pm to 10:00 pm. On the other extreme,
another NPR affiliate that I once listened to, WABE, to my knowledge
carries no BBC WS programming.

junius

[email protected] April 6th 06 04:31 PM

Shortwave radio vs satellite radio: my perspective

www.google.com National Public Radio Schedule Jackson Mississippi

Well,y'all can check it out if y'all wants to.I checked a couple of the
sites,I didn't see any BBC listed there.I guess I will tune in the
Thistle and the Shamrock (because I am Scotch Irish by ancestry,a double
whammy on me) this Sunday,but I will probally forget all about it.
cuhulin,the forgetfull

Mark Zenier April 6th 06 05:20 PM

Shortwave radio vs satellite radio: my perspective

In article .com,
junius wrote:

wrote:
You don't really need shortwave radio or satellite, either, for BBC.
It's on most NPR radio stations daily, several times throughout the
day and/or night.

bob
k5qwg

You get an hour of The World, not the full riches of Worldservice.

Hudley Pearse

Actually, it depends on the NPR affiliate station as to what, if any,
BBC WS programs are carried.

Actually, it's PRI affiliates. You can go to go www.pri.org, take the
toolbar link for "Programs" then select "BBC World Service" in the
popup menu, and that takes you to a page where you can download a
pdf file schedule poster.

And then you can really get ****ed off, because the PRI feed only has one
half hour a day (that my local station doesn't carry) for a selection of
programs from the three blocks (half hour each) that the full schedule
has for science, culture, and documentary programs, each weekday.

Mark Zenier

Bob Miller April 6th 06 08:21 PM

On 5 Apr 2006 22:08:49 -0700, wrote:

You don't really need shortwave radio or satellite, either, for BBC.
It's on most NPR radio stations daily, several times throughout the
day and/or night.

bob
k5qwg

You get an hour of The World, not the full riches of Worldservice.

Hudley Pearse

My station also carries BBC for several hours in the middle of the
night; some of it is pretty good, but the cricket scores put me back
to sleep.

bob
k5qwg

David April 6th 06 11:07 PM

Shortwave radio vs satellite radio: my perspective

On Thu, 06 Apr 2006 21:12:21 GMT, helmsman
wrote:

One of these days or years a solar storm will toast all
satellites whether for broadcast or entertainment.
I personally am going to buy a tube transmiter and reciever.
KG8PM

It'll probably toast you too.

Don Forsling April 6th 06 11:39 PM

"Bob Miller" wrote in message
[...]

BBC is NOT on "MOST" NPR member stations. It is on some of them, and on
most of those, it is available (run by the station) only as an overnight
service, a fairly cheap filler as it were. As such, it's a valuable
service. But to some, it would be a really valuable service if, for
example, the BBC World Service hourly news were aired every hour of the day.

Don Forsling

David April 7th 06 01:49 AM

Shortwave radio vs satellite radio: my perspective

wrote:

One of these days or years a solar storm will toast all
satellites whether for broadcast or entertainment.
I personally am going to buy a tube transmiter and reciever.
KG8PM

It'll probably toast you too.

It may but the sat's and the grid are easier to toast.

Modern spacecraft are way more hardened than those built 20 years ago.