Old April 5th 06, 05:23 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave
Christopher S. Dunne

Default Help!!!!! on FRG-7700

Hi...

Here is an actual *shortwave* post!

I don't know why I didn't try r.r.s before....

I have owned a Yaesu FRG-7700 for over 21 years now....it seems that
either nobody will fix it cheap, or maybe they think it is ready to give
up the ghost....

Anyway....I was told by a guy in WI that it needs a BFO or VFO
encoder....the problem is that I am unable to tune with the knob,
without "skipping" frequencies. I have to go back & forth until I can
zero in on them. It just won't go to the frequncy I want it to go to.

This is really rough if I wanna hear SSB.

Can anybody recommend a place to get this repaired without (1) a hassle,
(2) a hefty fee? I live in south Florida. The Yahoo FRG-7700 group was
no help....sad to say.

sincerely
Christopher Dunne
Old April 5th 06, 07:43 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave
David

On Wed, 05 Apr 2006 12:23:11 -0400, "Christopher S. Dunne"
wrote:

Hi...

Here is an actual *shortwave* post!

I don't know why I didn't try r.r.s before....

I have owned a Yaesu FRG-7700 for over 21 years now....it seems that
either nobody will fix it cheap, or maybe they think it is ready to give
up the ghost....

Anyway....I was told by a guy in WI that it needs a BFO or VFO
encoder....the problem is that I am unable to tune with the knob,
without "skipping" frequencies. I have to go back & forth until I can
zero in on them. It just won't go to the frequncy I want it to go to.

This is really rough if I wanna hear SSB.

Can anybody recommend a place to get this repaired without (1) a hassle,
(2) a hefty fee? I live in south Florida. The Yahoo FRG-7700 group was
no help....sad to say.

sincerely
Christopher Dunne

Any competent Ma nd Pa TV repair shop can install a rotary encoder.
I'd look for one run by Asians.

Old April 5th 06, 09:59 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave
jstrain

Christopher S. Dunne wrote:
Hi...

Here is an actual *shortwave* post!

I don't know why I didn't try r.r.s before....

I have owned a Yaesu FRG-7700 for over 21 years now....it seems that
either nobody will fix it cheap, or maybe they think it is ready to give
up the ghost....

Anyway....I was told by a guy in WI that it needs a BFO or VFO
encoder....the problem is that I am unable to tune with the knob,
without "skipping" frequencies. I have to go back & forth until I can
zero in on them. It just won't go to the frequncy I want it to go to.

This is really rough if I wanna hear SSB.

Can anybody recommend a place to get this repaired without (1) a hassle,
(2) a hefty fee? I live in south Florida. The Yahoo FRG-7700 group was
no help....sad to say.

sincerely
Christopher Dunne

ten tec has a cehap BFO kit
Old April 8th 06, 04:49 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave
Lucky

"Christopher S. Dunne" wrote in message
Hi...

Here is an actual *shortwave* post!

I don't know why I didn't try r.r.s before....

I have owned a Yaesu FRG-7700 for over 21 years now....it seems that
either nobody will fix it cheap, or maybe they think it is ready to give
up the ghost....

Anyway....I was told by a guy in WI that it needs a BFO or VFO
encoder....the problem is that I am unable to tune with the knob, without
"skipping" frequencies. I have to go back & forth until I can zero in on
them. It just won't go to the frequncy I want it to go to.

This is really rough if I wanna hear SSB.

Can anybody recommend a place to get this repaired without (1) a hassle,
(2) a hefty fee? I live in south Florida. The Yahoo FRG-7700 group was
no help....sad to say.

sincerely
Christopher Dunne

Hi there Chris!

I live in Florida like 10 min away from South Beach. I would try replacing
the string in it first. I think it uses a string since it's analog. I never
opened my 7700 so I don't remember if it uses one or not. If it does,
replace it. I would also try cleaning the VFO first. Must be very dirty
after all this time. Don't use the Radio Shack crap. Buy the good stuff
called Caig Pro Gold cleaner. It's the best to use on old equipment. Good
luck
Try this page for the stuff.

http://www.fullcompass.com/Products/...519/index.html

Lucky

Old April 8th 06, 04:56 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave
dxAce

Lucky wrote:

[...]

No string.

dxAce
Michigan
USA

Old April 8th 06, 05:49 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

How does that auld song thingy go? I remember a few words of it (No
Strings) from when I was dancing with that woman on the old Admiral
Steamboat in the Mississippi River (St.Louis area) in 1961.
cuhulin

Old April 8th 06, 05:13 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave
David

On Sat, 8 Apr 2006 11:49:40 -0400, "Lucky"
wrote:

[...]

Pro Gold isn't a very good cleaner. Use DeOxit Red.

Old April 8th 06, 05:33 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave
junius

Lucky wrote:

Hi there Chris!

I live in Florida like 10 min away from South Beach. I would try replacing
the string in it first. I think it uses a string since it's analog. I never
opened my 7700 so I don't remember if it uses one or not. If it does,
replace it. I would also try cleaning the VFO first. Must be very dirty
after all this time. Don't use the Radio Shack crap. Buy the good stuff
called Caig Pro Gold cleaner. It's the best to use on old equipment. Good
luck
Try this page for the stuff.

http://www.fullcompass.com/Products/...519/index.html

Lucky

Actually, you can get this DeoxIT twin-pack at Radio Shack:

http://www.radioshack.com/product/in...tPa ge=search

"Enhance your electronics.
This kit contains both DeoxIT Power Booster and ProGold Connector
Enhancer sprays from Caig Laboratories to help improve the performance
of your electrical devices.

"Cleans any metal-to-metal contact to improve conductivity and reduce
further oxidation
ProGold Connector Enhancer works on gold connections to improve
conductivity and prevent oxidation

"Both products have mini-spray applicators to make them easier to use"

"What's in the box

"DeoxIt Power Booster Spray
ProGold Connector Enhancer"

$14.99 at your local RS. You can check availability @ from the link
above.

Old April 8th 06, 05:43 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

Caig Pro Gold Cleaner? Otayyyyyy,, I will google that.

Maybe www.universal-radio.com can afixiate your radio.

I want to see that Survival: Pinata Island movie on tv again.If I
wasen't so drunk right now,I would drunk walk on over acrossit Highway
80 from me to the Hooper Bee Bop video store and buy that movie on
DVD,or get them to orderate it for me.
cuhulin

Old April 8th 06, 04:51 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave
Lucky

[...]

OK Chris

here's the site. Buy the Pro Gold DeoxIT.
http://www.caig.com/

Lucky