Old April 10th 06, 03:44 AM posted to rec.radio.shortwave
running dogg

Default Help!!!!! on FRG-7700

Christopher S. Dunne wrote:

Hi...

Here is an actual *shortwave* post!

I don't know why I didn't try r.r.s before....

I have owned a Yaesu FRG-7700 for over 21 years now....it seems that
either nobody will fix it cheap, or maybe they think it is ready to give
up the ghost....

Anyway....I was told by a guy in WI that it needs a BFO or VFO
encoder....the problem is that I am unable to tune with the knob,
without "skipping" frequencies. I have to go back & forth until I can
zero in on them. It just won't go to the frequncy I want it to go to.

This is really rough if I wanna hear SSB.

Can anybody recommend a place to get this repaired without (1) a hassle,
(2) a hefty fee? I live in south Florida. The Yahoo FRG-7700 group was
no help....sad to say.

sincerely
Christopher Dunne

I don't think you'll be able to do both. Check the obvious stuff, like
is some scan feature or fast tuning enabled (I don't know the 7700 so I
don't know what you might push on it). If that doesn't work, send it to
Yaesu in California. yaesu.com for the address, notice that they're now
owned by Vertex or somebody like that. Last time I had my 8800 in for
service, it was a reasonable cost, but they kept it for several months
and I had to keep calling and harassing them to get my radio back.
Things may be better under the new owners, I don't know, but the trimmer
caps on my 8800 blew and screwed up the PLL so it will be going down to
LA as soon as I get the money.