Old April 15th 06, 03:15 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave
Apostle Keith Brown

Default What's the most reliable portable short wave radio?

What brand is the most reliable short wave radio?

Old April 15th 06, 03:21 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave
Sanjaya

"Apostle Keith Brown" wrote in message
ink.net...
What brand is the most reliable short wave radio?

You can't go wrong with the Sony 7600GR.
Just get a good A/C adaptor to go with it. The Sony adapter
sucks IMO (and if I recall, in others' opinions as well)

Old April 15th 06, 03:36 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave
John S.

Apostle Keith Brown wrote:
What brand is the most reliable short wave radio?

I think you will find that the shortwave radios available for sale
today are as a group quite reliable. It would be very difficult for me
to say that one is distinctly more reliable than all the others.

I recommend that you focus on features and performance instead since
those criteria will have a much bigger impact on how you enjoy the
radio.

Old April 15th 06, 03:39 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

Small portable and best balue for the money,,,, Sony 7600GR.
cuhulin

Old April 15th 06, 07:26 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave
Joe Analssandrini

Dear Mr. Brown,

The Sony ICF-SW7600GR receiver is not only a superb performer for a
small portable, it is very ruggedly-built as well. I have five of them
(the oldest dating to 2001) and two of the predecessor model, the
ICF-SW7600G (purchased in 1998 and 2000). None has ever given less than
perfect performance and I take at least one of them wherever and
whenever I go on trips/vacations.

You do not need an AC adapter at all. The radio is extremely easy on
batteries. I recommend buying two sets of rechargeable NiMH batteries
(each cell having at least 2000 mAh) and a suitable charger, preferably
one with a DC adapter that can be used in a car. You'll never run out
of power and I think you'll be extremely pleased with this radio.

The only other option I would recommend, if you can find one, is the
now sadly-discontinued (in the US) Sony AN-LP1 antenna which is a
perfect match for this radio. Like the radio, the antenna is very well
made and travels easily.

There are probably other brands which are also well-made, but, owning
seven of these (as well as two Sony ICF-SW35s) I can confidently state
that Sony shortwave radios are made to a high standard.

Best,

Joe

P.S. Avoid Sangean models. I have been disappointed with the
construction quality of three of them.

Old April 15th 06, 07:35 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave
Telamon

In article . net,
"Apostle Keith Brown" wrote:

What brand is the most reliable short wave radio?

Any radio from Sony, Grundig/Eton, Sangean.
Stay away from the cheap Chinese stuff.
Here is a feature comparison chart on portables.
http://www.universal-radio.com/catalog/portable/chartp.html

--
Telamon
Ventura, California
Old April 15th 06, 07:39 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave
David

On 15 Apr 2006 11:26:58 -0700, "Joe Analssandrini"
wrote:

Dear Mr. Brown,

The Sony ICF-SW7600GR receiver is not only a superb performer for a
small portable, it is very ruggedly-built as well. I have five of them
(the oldest dating to 2001) and two of the predecessor model, the
ICF-SW7600G (purchased in 1998 and 2000). None has ever given less than
perfect performance and I take at least one of them wherever and
whenever I go on trips/vacations.

I had a G model. One sideband was louder than the other. (i.e poor
QA). I'll never buy another Sony product.

Old April 15th 06, 07:53 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave
Telamon

In article .com,
"Joe Analssandrini" wrote:

[...]

OK, I might as well join the crowd and also recommend the Sony 7600 as I
have owned one for years and I am very happy with the performance. I
have had no problems with the radio.

I own a Sangean with the Radio Shack branded DX-380 that is still
working fine. Construction quality is on par for a cheap portable. This
radio performs well and I have not had any trouble with it either. Maybe
the quality had gone down hill the last few years but I would not know
about that situation.

--
Telamon
Ventura, California
Old April 15th 06, 08:23 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave
SeeingEyeDogg

wrote:

Dear Mr. Brown,

The Sony ICF-SW7600GR receiver is not only a superb performer for a
small portable, it is very ruggedly-built as well. I have five of them
(the oldest dating to 2001) and two of the predecessor model, the
ICF-SW7600G (purchased in 1998 and 2000). None has ever given less than
perfect performance and I take at least one of them wherever and
whenever I go on trips/vacations.

I had a G model. One sideband was louder than the other. (i.e poor
QA). I'll never buy another Sony product.

Wrong. Your so called perception of loudness in either sideband is the
nature of listening in USB Vs. LSB. That so called difference can be
perceived on any SSB capable radio. Your simply trying to make an issue
against a manufacturer for which there is absolutely no basis. Which is
typical of our resident propagandist, Dr.DaviD.

Old April 15th 06, 08:35 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

The only other option (bear in mind,if I can find me a rich old widow
woman) for me is a Watkins Johnson Radio.
cuhulin