Old April 15th 06, 08:39 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

Default What's the most reliable portable short wave radio?

G? Dont tell that married Irish woman wayyyyy over yonder across the big
pond about G.I once made the mistake of,,,,,,,
Wow!!! she burnt me ears out!
cuhulin

Old April 15th 06, 08:44 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

Say it isn't so,Telemon.You will recomend the Sony 7600GR Radios.Tell
all them purty gals over yonder roller skatin around on Ventura
Beach,old Hansom Larry (that's me) luvs them.
cuhulin ,,,Larry

Old April 15th 06, 08:59 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave
David

On Sat, 15 Apr 2006 14:23:43 -0500, "SeeingEyeDogg"
wrote:

"David" wrote in message
.. .
On 15 Apr 2006 11:26:58 -0700, "Joe Analssandrini"
wrote:

Dear Mr. Brown,

The Sony ICF-SW7600GR receiver is not only a superb performer for a
small portable, it is very ruggedly-built as well. I have five of them
(the oldest dating to 2001) and two of the predecessor model, the
ICF-SW7600G (purchased in 1998 and 2000). None has ever given less than
perfect performance and I take at least one of them wherever and
whenever I go on trips/vacations.

I had a G model. One sideband was louder than the other. (i.e poor
QA). I'll never buy another Sony product.

Wrong. Your so called perception of loudness in either sideband is the
nature of listening in USB Vs. LSB. That so called difference can be
perceived on any SSB capable radio. Your simply trying to make an issue
against a manufacturer for which there is absolutely no basis. Which is
typical of our resident propagandist, Dr.DaviD.

Whatever Sigmund. I think you're projecting.

Old April 15th 06, 09:07 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave
mikem

Hi,
If you can find a good used one the Sony 2010 is great. Sadly now it
is discontinued.
Mike
David wrote:
On Sat, 15 Apr 2006 14:23:43 -0500, "SeeingEyeDogg"
wrote:

.. .

Old April 16th 06, 01:33 AM posted to rec.radio.shortwave
running dogg

wrote:

Dear Mr. Brown,

The Sony ICF-SW7600GR receiver is not only a superb performer for a
small portable, it is very ruggedly-built as well. I have five of them
(the oldest dating to 2001) and two of the predecessor model, the
ICF-SW7600G (purchased in 1998 and 2000). None has ever given less than
perfect performance and I take at least one of them wherever and
whenever I go on trips/vacations.

I had a G model. One sideband was louder than the other. (i.e poor
QA). I'll never buy another Sony product.

The only problem I've had with sideband on Sonys (I had a 2010 for a
couple years) is that they're not tunable. You press a button and hope
that the transmission will be tuned correctly for the radio, if not
you're SOL. As I was using my 2010 to chase pirates, and most US pirates
broadcast in SSB (because they use ham equipment) this was quite
frustrating. I finally traded it to somebody in Maine in exchange for my
Yaesu FRG-8800. (This was before Ebay.) Even the Degen 1102 has tunable
SSB. The Realistic DX-440 (Sangean 803A) had tunable SSB. If you're
trying to listen to SSB transmissions (such as US pirates or hams) the
lack of tunable SSB on Sonys will drive you nuts. OTOH, they're
excellent for listening to regular broadcasts. Sadly, they're all
discontinued now from what I know. Search Ebay, or settle for something
Chinese, probably the Degen 1102 or 1103.

Old April 16th 06, 05:30 AM posted to rec.radio.shortwave
m II

SeeingEyeDogg wrote:

Sony made AC adapters ARE available that work very well with ALL their
shortwave radios. I know because I have Sony AC adapters for the 7600GR,
SW100, SW-07 & SW-55. They all work exceptional well and are very quite.
Except that their price is prohibitive for most people in this newsgroup.

Care to expand on that? How is it possible for the fine denizens of this
group to buy expensive radios (1) and yet not be able to finance an
adapter?

mike

(1) cuhulin excepted. If it's not three dollars he doesn't want it.
Old April 16th 06, 05:43 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave
Joe Analssandrini

Dear Mike,

To comment:

The original AC adapter Sony made for the ICF-SW7600GR was a very good
one. However, that model was discontinued a couple of years ago and has
been replaced with one with a similar name but dreadful performance
with the radio.

Most AC adapters for the '7600 are priced in the $15.00 - $20.00 range.
This is very high for what you get. The price for eight rechargeable
NiMH batteries and a charger is not much, if any, more and you get
portability which is just as good AND FAR QUIETER operation. As the
'7600GR, off its whip, is not the most sensitive of receivers, this
quiet operation is very important. Even when used with an AN-LP1, which
affords excellent "hearing of signals," battery operation is, in my
opinion, far better than use with an AC adapter.

Note that I'm not "knocking" the receiver - it is designed with a
better-than-the-portable-average dynamic range so it can handle a fair
external shortwave antenna without overloading. (Its MW sensitivity is
superb with just the internal ferrite antenna.) Its SW sensitivity off
the whip is adequate for the more powerful stations and the radio is
sensitive enough that you can in fact do some DXing with it just with
the whip. However the ability to handle an external antenna without
overloading is much more important, in my opinion, than "raw"
sensitivity off a whip.

Best,

Joe

P.S. Universal's AC adapter for the '7600GR is not only dreadful, but
also overpriced. I understand you can buy the same adapter from another
source for 1/3 Universal's price but even then - why would you want to?
I have one and if you like music and want to hear your radio "hum,"
that's your adapter! ;-)

Old April 16th 06, 06:13 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave
David

On Sat, 15 Apr 2006 14:15:27 GMT, "Apostle Keith Brown"
wrote:

What brand is the most reliable short wave radio?

My $50 Panasonic RF-B45 is built like a tank.

Old April 16th 06, 06:15 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

Any radio that works.
cuhulin

Old April 16th 06, 06:26 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

NiMH batteries.Screw! those kinds of batteies! LQQK,about seven years
ago,I owned an Ericcson cell phone.Either it came with a NiMH battery,or
later on I went and bought a new NiMH battery for that Stupid piece of
junk cell phone.A couple of years later,that NiMH battery went stone
cold dead!,,, wouldn't take a charge at all,I am telling y'all.y'all can
have all the NiMH batteries y'all want.I dont want anymore of that over
priced and over rated Crap!
cuhulin