Old April 20th 06, 09:16 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave
RHF

Default Modified 1/8" Mono Plug for a 'portable' Radio's Ground Connection

MZ - Right on both points. ~ RHF
Old April 20th 06, 10:09 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave
RHF

Default Drake SW1 Radio plus the People's Radio Network PRN1000 Radio and Chuck Harder - Whoa !

David - Here is a re-write :

NOTE - This idea and application is mainly for 'portable'
AM / FM Shortwave Radios that do not have a built-in
External Antenna Input {Jack} that offers a Grounding
"Attachment" Point for the Radio.
- - - Be Advised - There are exceptions and ymmv.

David - FWIW Somewhere in OK-Land, Cali-4-Ni-A
down in sub-basement # 3 is a Drake SW1 Radio
-aka- People's Radio Network PRN1000 Radio
SW1 = http://www.dxing.com/rx/ssr1.htm
http://www.universal-radio.com/catal...rxvr/1100.html
http://www.dproducts.be/drake_museum/prn-1000.htm
http://www.dproducts.be/drake_museum/prn-1000_pic.htm
http://www.eham.net/reviews/detail/1313
http://www.eham.net/reviews/detail/1314
http://www.radionetherlands.nl/featu...ivers/sw1.html

FWIW - Bought the Drake SW1 Radio used
and it came with a TinyTenna
TINY-TENNA = http://www.hamradiofun.com/tinytenna.htm

ABOUT - Chuck Harder's "People's Radio Network" (PRN)
and The Radio Program "For The People" by Chuck Harder.

PRN = http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chuck_Harder

CHUCK HARDER = http://www.chuckharder.com/
http://www.pilotproject.tv/view_finalist.php?id=267

FOR THE PEOPLE = http://www.talkstarradio.com/

FTP = http://www.talkstarradio.com/hosts/chuckpage.htm

HOSTS = http://www.talkstarradio.com/hosts/meetourstars.htm

whoa - end of ramble ~ RHF
Old April 20th 06, 10:25 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave
David

On 20 Apr 2006 14:09:00 -0700, "RHF"
wrote:

[...]

.

I was thinking more about the floating audio that cannot be grounded.

Old April 20th 06, 11:41 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave
clifto

David wrote:
On Thu, 20 Apr 2006 16:09:32 -0500, clifto wrote:
Resonance is one of many things that goes into receiving signals,
but when you come right down to it the receiver is nothing more
than a device which processes the voltage (or current) fed it from
an antenna. You use it to select one of many signals (using
resonance), amplify the heck out of it and extract the information
from the result.

What's that got to do with a current flowing to ground?

Ohm's Law. When you put a voltage across an impedance, current flows.
The voltage induced in a typical antenna is with respect to ground.

--
All relevant people are pertinent.
All rude people are impertinent.
Old April 20th 06, 11:46 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave
David

On Thu, 20 Apr 2006 17:41:31 -0500, clifto wrote:

David wrote:
On Thu, 20 Apr 2006 16:09:32 -0500, clifto wrote:
Resonance is one of many things that goes into receiving signals,
but when you come right down to it the receiver is nothing more
than a device which processes the voltage (or current) fed it from
an antenna. You use it to select one of many signals (using
resonance), amplify the heck out of it and extract the information
from the result.

What's that got to do with a current flowing to ground?

Ohm's Law. When you put a voltage across an impedance, current flows.
The voltage induced in a typical antenna is with respect to ground.

So, radio doesn't work in outer space? If I had a six transistor
radio 50 miles up I couldn't hear Limbaugh?

Old April 21st 06, 12:09 AM posted to rec.radio.shortwave
clifto

David wrote:
On Thu, 20 Apr 2006 16:09:32 -0500, clifto wrote:
Resonance is one of many things that goes into receiving signals,
but when you come right down to it the receiver is nothing more
than a device which processes the voltage (or current) fed it from
an antenna. You use it to select one of many signals (using
resonance), amplify the heck out of it and extract the information
from the result.

What's that got to do with a current flowing to ground?

Ohm's Law. When you put a voltage across an impedance, current flows.
The voltage induced in a typical antenna is with respect to ground.

So, radio doesn't work in outer space? If I had a six transistor
radio 50 miles up I couldn't hear Limbaugh?

You know, I've wondered about that, too. The closest to explaining
that I've conjured is that the electromagnetic field works up
there, but I can't imagine how the electrostatic field from the
transmitting antenna could work on a space antenna. But antenna
design has always been black magic to me.

Old April 21st 06, 12:17 AM posted to rec.radio.shortwave
RHF

David - So are you claiming that 'only' Resonant Current
Flows to ground ? ;-) ~ RHF

FWIW - There is a lot of Dipole Antennas out there
free floating above ground that must not be working )

IIRC - The Antenna Input has a characteristic impedance
50, 75, 300, or 500 Ohms. Subsequent to that the internal
circuity of the Radio can be Resonated to Select and
Amplify an RF Signal and then process it into an Audio
Sound that we can Hear.

yes it is that simple ~ RHF

Grounding Question Gerry Moersdorf Antenna 11 October 26th 04 05:06 AM
The Apollo Hoax FAQ darla General 0 July 22nd 04 12:14 PM
Base Antenna Mounting Zeeeeeeee3 CB 110 February 23rd 04 03:55 AM