Old April 23rd 06, 03:45 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave
John S.

Default Drake R8 Vs Eton E1 - MW

Brian Denley wrote:
John S. wrote:

I think I understand the point you are trying to make. But clearly
there are selected portable receivers that will outperform selected
tabletops.

A for instance would be: A Sony 2010 will outperform a Kenwood R300.
And I'm sure you can come up with several others.

For instance?
--
Brian Denley

Old April 23rd 06, 03:52 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave
John S.

Steve wrote:
John S. wrote:

I think I understand the point you are trying to make. But clearly
there are selected portable receivers that will outperform selected
tabletops.

If you look really hard to find the crappiest tabletop receivers ever
built, then maybe. In general, though, if you want real performance, go
for the tabletops.

Since performance can be assumed to take into account many factors I
think it is safe to say a portable of the quality of a 2010 will run
circles around several (but certainly not all) tabletops.

And most of all, remember this cardinal rule of
receiver purchasing:

A $500 dollar portable is still just a portable. (It's also an
extremely bad deal, but that's a story for another time...)

"A portable is an extremely bad deal." Hmmm...you must have benefit of
special insight that legions of purchasers of portables have completely
missed. I'm sure they (and I) would appreciate your insight into the
qualities of portable radios, so please feel free share them.

Old April 23rd 06, 10:07 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave
Steve

Actually, I would never say that a portable receiver is necessarily a
bad deal. I have a Sony 7600GR, for example, that I spent a little over
a hundred bucks on. That was money well invested. I've gotten many,
many hours of enjoyment from it and it continues to go strong. I'd say
the same about my little Grundig Mini-World receiver, which is
literally so small it fits in my shirt pocket. There are some very,
very good deals to be had on portables out there.

Old April 23rd 06, 10:42 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave
John S.

Steve wrote:
Actually, I would never say that a portable receiver is necessarily a
bad deal.

If that is the case then were you just talking to yourself when you
said: A $500 dollar portable is still just a portable. (It's also an
extremely bad deal, but that's a story for another time...)

I have a Sony 7600GR, for example, that I spent a little over
a hundred bucks on. That was money well invested. I've gotten many,
many hours of enjoyment from it and it continues to go strong. I'd say
the same about my little Grundig Mini-World receiver, which is
literally so small it fits in my shirt pocket. There are some very,
very good deals to be had on portables out there.

You need to figure out what you really think before pushing the Post
Message icon my friend.

Old April 23rd 06, 10:44 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave
John S.

junius wrote:
John S. wrote:
A for instance would be: A Sony 2010 will outperform a Kenwood R300.
And I'm sure you can come up with several others.

it is interesting the manner in which certain portables have narrowed
the performance gap between portable and tabletop.

The Sat 800 and E1 would be prime examples in this respect. (yeah, I
know, some folks have trouble carrying a Sat 800...probably the same
folks who take an elevator to get from ground level to the second floor
of a building... ;-)

Also, models such as the Drake SW8 (and the Sat 800, for that matter)
have served to blur the distinction between portable/tabletop.

I agree completely - there are some fine portable receivers. I notice
that the portable bashing group has become suddenly silent. It's
difficult to keep talking when facts get in the way of opinions.

Old April 23rd 06, 10:48 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave
Steve

You conveniently left out the "$500" part when you quoted me, fool. The
"$500" was quite an important omission on your part. I assumed you just
misunderstood me and that you weren't just being an idiot, but now I
see that you were just being an idiot.

In that case, hey, I didn't say YOU couldn't spend $500 on a portable,
if you want to. If that floats your boat, knock yourself out.

Do you like hamburgers? If so, check this out:

http://www.trendhunter.com/trends/fleurburger-5000/

I'd never spend this much on a hamburger, because a $5000 is still just
a hamburger. But hey, they're selling plenty of them in Vegas...and in
SF now.

Enjoy your burger!!!! And maybe you'll think twice now before shooting
off your mouth again.

Old April 23rd 06, 11:31 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave
Steve

No one in this group is bashing portables.

Thanks for finally helping me to understand why even some men are
nowadays referred to as "bitches".

Old April 23rd 06, 11:54 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave
John S.

Steve wrote:
You conveniently left out the "$500" part when you quoted me, fool. The
"$500" was quite an important omission on your part. I assumed you just
misunderstood me and that you weren't just being an idiot, but now I
see that you were just being an idiot.

Whether the $500 is in or out of the quote is pretty much irrelevant to
the conclusion that you are seriously out of touch with current radio
technology. Yes, I know the Zenith TO is a marginal performer when
compared to modern tabletop (and portable) receivers. But you need to
move forward at least 5 decades in your thinking and experience. Most
modern portables will outperform several table top receivers (and
remember the 2010 and more recent offering from Eton are priced below
your beloved $500 number).

In that case, hey, I didn't say YOU couldn't spend $500 on a portable,
if you want to. If that floats your boat, knock yourself out.

You are the one who made the inane statement about portables, not me.

Do you like hamburgers? If so, check this out:

http://www.trendhunter.com/trends/fleurburger-5000/

I'd never spend this much on a hamburger, because a $5000 is still just
a hamburger. But hey, they're selling plenty of them in Vegas...and in
SF now.

I can't imagine why you would want to spend $5000 or $500 on a
hamburger, but if that is what floats your boat, then who am I to
deprive you of that pleasure.

Enjoy your burger!!!! And maybe you'll think twice now before shooting
off your mouth again.

You may wish to look at the portables offered in the post 1970's world
before making such a completely unsupported statement again. You
really come across as out of touch.

Old April 24th 06, 12:05 AM posted to rec.radio.shortwave
Steve

John S. wrote:
Steve wrote:
You conveniently left out the "$500" part when you quoted me, fool. The
"$500" was quite an important omission on your part. I assumed you just
misunderstood me and that you weren't just being an idiot, but now I
see that you were just being an idiot.

Whether the $500 is in or out of the quote is pretty much irrelevant to
the conclusion that you are seriously out of touch with current radio
technology. Yes, I know the Zenith TO is a marginal performer when
compared to modern tabletop (and portable) receivers. But you need to
move forward at least 5 decades in your thinking and experience. Most
modern portables will outperform several table top receivers (and
remember the 2010 and more recent offering from Eton are priced below
your beloved $500 number).

Oh, "several"...so what? No one said anything inconsistent with that,
so why are your panties in a twist?

In that case, hey, I didn't say YOU couldn't spend $500 on a portable,
if you want to. If that floats your boat, knock yourself out.

You are the one who made the inane statement about portables, not me.

I didn't say anything about portables that isn't freely available to
anyone who looks at the price sheet on the Universal Radio website. You
must be confused.

Do you like hamburgers? If so, check this out:

http://www.trendhunter.com/trends/fleurburger-5000/

I'd never spend this much on a hamburger, because a $5000 is still just
a hamburger. But hey, they're selling plenty of them in Vegas...and in
SF now.

I can't imagine why you would want to spend $5000 or $500 on a
hamburger, but if that is what floats your boat, then who am I to
deprive you of that pleasure.

Enjoy your burger!!!! And maybe you'll think twice now before shooting
off your mouth again.

You may wish to look at the portables offered in the post 1970's world
before making such a completely unsupported statement again. You
really come across as out of touch.

THINK first, THEN post to the group. Your life will improve as soon as
you take things in this order.

Old April 24th 06, 12:13 AM posted to rec.radio.shortwave
Steve

This kind of defensiveness speaks volumes. It's easy to tell when
someone has sunk a large amount of money into a receiver and then
regrets it. They have to make others pay for (what they perceive to be)
their mistake.

ABOUT - The Eton {Etón} 'Elite' E5 AM/FM Shortwave Radio - Part II - RHF Shortwave 4 February 15th 06 12:23 AM
Eton E1 Recall dxAce Shortwave 44 January 14th 06 01:49 PM
ABOUT - The RL Drake R8 - R8A - R8B Communication Receivers RHF Shortwave 3 December 15th 05 01:33 AM
What the Eton E1 Rado is NOT ! -=V=- What It "IS" and What Not to Expect RHF Shortwave 14 October 20th 05 01:16 AM
The Eton 'Elite' E1 XM Radio "Genealogy" Drake SW1 > SW2 > SW8 > GS800M > E1 XM RHF Shortwave 1 January 7th 05 03:16 AM