Old April 22nd 06, 07:46 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave
RHF

Default What About the "Slim Jim" Antenna ?

The Slim Jim Antenna
http://www.hamuniverse.com/slimjim.html

The Slim Jim is a Vertically Polarized Omni-Directional End-Fed
Antenna having considerable gain and this is concentrated almost
parallel to ground toward the horizon rather than skyward making
it more efficient than a ground plane type antenna by about 50
percent better.
http://www.hamuniverse.com/2meter300ohmslimjim.html

Due to it's SLIM {Very Thin Shape} used in it's Design,
there is very little wind loading. It is fed with 50 ohm coax.
http://www.ee.washington.edu/circuit...ntennas/slim_j

It uses a 'J' type Matching Stub (J Integrated Matching = JIM),
http://www.pcs-electronics.com/en/gu...p?sub=antennas

Hense the name SLIM JIM.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Slim_Jim_(antenna)

Credit for the original design goes to F.C. Judd [G2BCX].
http://www.ee.washington.edu/circuit...ntennas/slim_j

How to make a Weatherproof Vertically Polarised Omni-Directional Aerial
http://www.irational.org/sic/radio/omni-aerial.html

Choosing the Correct Antenna
http://www.marcspages.co.uk/tech/antchose.htm
Marc's Technical Pages
http://www.marcspages.co.uk/tech/index.htm

So could I make one of these Slim Jim Antennas
for the Shortwave 49 Meter Band ? ? ?
and just how Thin-and-Tall would it be ? ? ?

What About the "Slim Jim" Antenna ?

obtw - too fat to be called 'slim' and my name ain't 'jim' ) a- iane
~ RHF
Old April 22nd 06, 08:18 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

On 22 Apr 2006 11:46:13 -0700, "RHF"
wrote:

[...]

.
.

The Slim Jim is another name for a J-Pole from everything I read about
it. This is a 1/2 wave antenna over a 1/4 wave matching section so
your 49 meter band antenna would be rather tall (about 37 meters).
Sure, you could make it ......... would be interested to see your
plans for installing it 8-}

Howard
Old April 22nd 06, 08:23 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

wrote:

[...]

RHF - forgot to mention that the claimed 6dB gain (in relation to a
5/8 wave antenna) is rather bogus.
Old April 22nd 06, 10:06 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave
Tom Holden

wrote:

The Slim Jim Antenna
http://www.hamuniverse.com/slimjim.html
[snip]
So could I make one of these Slim Jim Antennas
for the Shortwave 49 Meter Band ? ? ?
and just how Thin-and-Tall would it be ? ? ?

~ RHF
.
.

The Slim Jim is another name for a J-Pole from everything I read about
it. This is a 1/2 wave antenna over a 1/4 wave matching section so
your 49 meter band antenna would be rather tall (about 37 meters).
Sure, you could make it ......... would be interested to see your
plans for installing it 8-}

Howard

With the base another 1/4 wave above ground, lo and behold the top of the
Slim Jim for the 49 m band would be ==== 49 metres above ground!

How slim? Probably transmission line theory here so the dimension is
independent of the wavelength. You could probably use 300 ohm twin lead if
it wouldn't break under its own weight.

Tom

Old April 24th 06, 05:20 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave
Bob Miller

On 22 Apr 2006 11:46:13 -0700, "RHF"
wrote:

excerpted

This looks like what hams call a J-pole antenna. J-poles are popular
on the VHF and UHF bands. There's not much use of them on the HF bands
because they would be way, way huge -- your 49 meter version would be
about the size of a telephone pole.

Rhf, ya really oughtta go to Amazon.com and pick up a used copy of the
ARRL Antenna Book; David's advice was right on.

bob
k5qwg

Old April 24th 06, 05:34 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

Them J-Pole Antennas are supposed to be good,Noc war,Tiem La?

google,Wabash Cannonball Midi

Ladies and Gentlemen,Boys and Girls,,, crank that puter bolume wideeeee
open.Enjoy.
cuhulin

Old April 24th 06, 06:24 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

I own a few slim jim auto car door lock picks thingy.(they look sort of
like extra long strange lookin hacksaw blades) I am not a car thief dude
though.
cuhulin

Old April 25th 06, 05:23 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

There is a guy ever once in a while over there at the Goodwill store.He
has a van full of locksmith stuff.He calls himself,Flip A Lock.He has a
good little business going there.Hya,Flip.
cuhulin

Why Antenna Tuners Aren't Necessarily Useful for Shortwave Listening - Question Shortwave Listening (SWL) Antenna Tuners - Do You Have An Opinion ? Bob Miller Shortwave 40 September 3rd 12 02:15 PM
Why Tilt ? - The Terminated Tilted Folded Dipole (TTFD / T2FD) Antenna RHF Shortwave 2 April 18th 06 10:21 PM
Passive Repeater Bryan Martin Antenna 13 February 10th 06 02:03 PM
Grounding Steve Rabinowitz Shortwave 31 December 14th 05 05:26 AM
Yaesu FT-857D questions Joe S. Equipment 6 October 25th 04 09:40 AM