Old April 25th 06, 09:53 AM posted to rec.radio.shortwave
RHF

Default Classic Shortwave Antenna for a Classic {Tube} Shortwave Radio / Receiver

For One and All,

FYI - Here seems to be a Classic Shortwave Antenna for
some one with a Classic {Tube} Shortwave Radio / Receiver :

Unused - E. H. Scott Outside Radio Antenna System

eBay Item # 6623736832

Looks to be a Dual Dipole with a Twisted-Pair feed-in-line.
http://www.indianaradios.com/ebay/Scott%20Antenna.jpg

Anyone Collecting 'classic' Shortwave Antennas ?
Note - To bad this Antenna did not have the original box,
Instructions and any other paper work.

NOTICE :
This is NOT my Auction and I am NOT Associated with the eBay Seller.

PLEASE NOTE :
That this Message is being Posted for Informational Purposes Only.

know your seller and something about what they are selling.
as always - buyer beware - life is a gamble and so is ebay ~ RHF
Old April 25th 06, 09:48 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave
Telamon

In article .com,
"RHF" wrote:

For One and All,

FYI - Here seems to be a Classic Shortwave Antenna for some one with
a Classic {Tube} Shortwave Radio / Receiver :

Unused - E. H. Scott Outside Radio Antenna System

eBay Item # 6623736832

Looks to be a Dual Dipole with a Twisted-Pair feed-in-line.
http://www.indianaradios.com/ebay/Scott%20Antenna.jpg

Anyone Collecting 'classic' Shortwave Antennas ? Note - To bad this
Antenna did not have the original box, Instructions and any other
paper work.

NOTICE : This is NOT my Auction and I am NOT Associated with the eBay
Seller.

PLEASE NOTE : That this Message is being Posted for Informational
Purposes Only.

know your seller and something about what they are selling. as always
- buyer beware - life is a gamble and so is ebay ~ RHF

From the description I am unable to determine the antenna type. If I
was to take a guess that both sets of elements are the same length and
that they are supposed to be spread out in a "X" shape then this is an
antenna designed to couple very strongly the space around it. The
result of this type is a comparatively high voltage output. This is
useful for a radio with poor sensitivity. This type will generate a
stronger voltage for a signal for which it is cut than a dipole.

This antenna type is appropriate for tube type receivers as rain, snow,
sand or just blowing wind conditions will have a stronger tendency to
generate a larger static charge compared to other antenna types. This
could be a problem for solid state radios. You would want static
protection for a solid state radio with this antenna.

--
Telamon
Ventura, California
Old April 26th 06, 02:31 AM posted to rec.radio.shortwave
RHF

Telamon - So you think that this is a Phantom "X" Antenna;
and not a Dual Dipole Antenna with a two sets of Elements
one Long and the other Short. ~ RHF
Old April 26th 06, 04:20 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave
Frank Dresser

"Telamon" wrote in message

From the description I am unable to determine the antenna type. If I
was to take a guess that both sets of elements are the same length and
that they are supposed to be spread out in a "X" shape then this is an
antenna designed to couple very strongly the space around it. The
result of this type is a comparatively high voltage output. This is
useful for a radio with poor sensitivity. This type will generate a
stronger voltage for a signal for which it is cut than a dipole.

It looks to me like a garden-variety bow-tie dipole. It would perform like
a simple dipole, just a little more broadbanded.

This antenna type is appropriate for tube type receivers as rain, snow,
sand or just blowing wind conditions will have a stronger tendency to
generate a larger static charge compared to other antenna types. This
could be a problem for solid state radios. You would want static
protection for a solid state radio with this antenna.

--
Telamon
Ventura, California

Tube radios need static protection, too. The input coils open up, even if
the tubes remain unharmed.

Frank Dresser

Old April 26th 06, 06:13 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave
Telamon

In article ,
"Frank Dresser" wrote:

"Telamon" wrote in message

From the description I am unable to determine the antenna type. If I
was to take a guess that both sets of elements are the same length and
that they are supposed to be spread out in a "X" shape then this is an
antenna designed to couple very strongly the space around it. The
result of this type is a comparatively high voltage output. This is
useful for a radio with poor sensitivity. This type will generate a
stronger voltage for a signal for which it is cut than a dipole.

It looks to me like a garden-variety bow-tie dipole. It would perform like
a simple dipole, just a little more broadbanded.

If the assumption is correct about the elements being the same length
then yes. This is my assumption based on the picture.

I mostly agree with your assessment that you would have a comparatively
broadband dipole performance but in my experience this antenna generates
more signal voltage then that assumption of performance would indicate.

The greater broadband performance over a dipole come from the elements
appearing larger in diameter electrically, which more effectively
couples it to the space around it.

This antenna type is appropriate for tube type receivers as rain, snow,
sand or just blowing wind conditions will have a stronger tendency to
generate a larger static charge compared to other antenna types. This
could be a problem for solid state radios. You would want static
protection for a solid state radio with this antenna.

Tube radios need static protection, too. The input coils open up, even if
the tubes remain unharmed.

Yes, but the solid state units are more easily damaged by the high
voltage than the tube units.

--
Telamon
Ventura, California

Old April 26th 06, 10:32 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave
Bob Miller

On Wed, 26 Apr 2006 17:13:25 GMT, Telamon
wrote:

In article ,
"Frank Dresser" wrote:

"Telamon" wrote in message

From the description I am unable to determine the antenna type. If I
[...]

If that's the case, all those hams running multi-element beams or
half-mile long beverages must be living dangerously :-)

bob
k5qwg
Old April 26th 06, 11:24 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave
RHF

Bob [K5QWG],

Anyone one running a Half-Mile Long Beverage Antenna
in Thunder Alley is living very dangerously - imho ~ RHF

Thunder Alley = Lightning Alley
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lightning
The United States is home to "Lightning Alley",
a group of States in the American Southeast
that collectively see more lightning strikes per year
than any other place in the US. The most notable
State in Lightning Alley is Florida.
Old April 26th 06, 08:38 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave
Carter-K8VT

Frank Dresser wrote:

Tube radios need static protection, too. The input coils open up, even if
the tubes remain unharmed.

Absolutely true. Had to fix a Drake 2B for a friend where the input coil
took a hit and went open. Fortunately, Drake had one (used) 2B input
coil I was lucky enough to get.
Old April 26th 06, 11:16 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave
RHF

FD,

Maybe back then a good Radio Designer 'designed-in'
a Weak-Link Input Coil(s) as an Input Fuse to protect
the rest of the Radio's Components and Circuitry.

what they knew then - do we know it now ? ~ RHF
Old May 1st 06, 06:10 AM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

Default Classic Shortwave Antenna for a Classic {Tube} Shortwave Radio...

TUBE??? Seeeeee,,, like that married Irish woman wayyyy over yonder
across the big pond says,,,, Seeee,,, I knew it!
cuhulin