Old May 5th 06, 05:54 AM posted to rec.radio.shortwave
Mike Terry

Default 'Voice of the Andes Airs Final English Broadcast on SW

Radio Station HCJB, "the Voice of the Andes," said it will air its final
English-language broadcasts on international shortwave radio from Ecuador on
Saturday.
The Christian station's English Language Service, the organization said, is
shifting its emphasis toward teaching English as a second language.

"English was one of the first two languages, along with Spanish, to air when
the station began broadcasting in Quito on Christmas Day, 1931," it said in
a statement. It quoted station Director Doug Weber calling the move a
refocusing or "taking some of the resources that we've been using on the
broadcasts and focusing that into English-as-a-second-language (ESL)
things-programming that will go out on our other (mostly Spanish) outlets."

The statement continued:
"'We've had a very loyal audience and we're grateful to them,' Weber said of
the nearly 75 years of relationship via the radio. 'And we're grateful to
the Lord as well for the opportunity to be able to minister to so many
people through our English-language broadcasts for so many years.'"

http://www.rwonline.com/dailynews/one.php?id=8953

Old May 5th 06, 06:52 AM posted to rec.radio.shortwave
Erik Kusta

Heralding Christ Jesus' Blessings---HCJB was my first QSL card--maybe 50
years ago on my Hallicrafters Sky Champion

A shame.

Old May 5th 06, 05:59 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave
HFguy

Mike Terry wrote:

[...]

Another milestone for shortwave. I used to listen to the HCJB 'DX
Partyline' show. It was a good source of shortwave info' but the husband
and wife hosts (Clayton and Helen Howard) were insufferably monotonous.
I remember turning down the volume when their 'Tips for real living'
came on. It seemed like a sneaky way to proselytize to a captive
audience, which of course was the real purpose of the DX show. I guess
it bugged Glenn Hauser too. He came out with his 'Tips for *rational*
living' in his DX show. :-)

http://www181.pair.com/otsw/DXpartyline.html
Old May 5th 06, 08:46 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave
Stephanie Weil

Mike Terry wrote:

Radio Station HCJB, "the Voice of the Andes," said it will air its final
English-language broadcasts on international shortwave radio from Ecuador on
Saturday.

Good thing I'm a fluent (native) Spanish speaker!

Not that I'm happy with the station dumping shows from their lineup.
:-/

--
Steph

Old May 6th 06, 03:02 AM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

Unfortunately, SW is becoming obsolete - I wonder why people are
spending big bucks for SW receivers now...

Old May 6th 06, 04:22 AM posted to rec.radio.shortwave
DesignGuy

"Mike Terry" wrote in message

[...]

I'll miss them... my first QSL was from HCJB back in 1976.

Old May 6th 06, 12:56 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave
dxAce

Mike Terry wrote:

[...]

Currently on 12005 1100 - 1330. DX Partyline should be on at 1230.

dxAce
Michigan
USA

Old May 6th 06, 03:17 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave
Jim Hackett

I must be losing it. I could swear they ended their English broadcasts a
couple years ago...

"DesignGuy" wrote in message
news