Old May 5th 06, 08:51 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave
Lisa Simpson

Default DX-160

Got my DX-160 today, just discovered it doesn't have the same antenna
hook-up's as the DX-394 & the DX-302 have; can anyone tell me what type of
antenna (preferably homemade) I should attach to it until I obtain another
outdoor antenna for it (or at the very least figure out a way to connect my
Eavesdropper with a feed line that has a PL259 connector)?

Old May 6th 06, 05:31 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave
Mark Zenier

In article ,
Lisa Simpson wrote:
Got my DX-160 today, just discovered it doesn't have the same antenna
hook-up's as the DX-394 & the DX-302 have; can anyone tell me what type of
antenna (preferably homemade) I should attach to it until I obtain another
outdoor antenna for it (or at the very least figure out a way to connect my
Eavesdropper with a feed line that has a PL259 connector)?

We had a thread on that a year or so ago here in the newsgroup. Worth
googling to get some of RHF's URL lists. One good hookup is, using the
balanced high impedance connection scheme, a single wire loop (rectangular
is fine) several feet across tacked to the nearby wall or ceiling.

It's got a high gain front end with some protection diodes, so putting
too much wire up in a urban environment may get you a lot of intermod
from Medium Wave (AM band) stations.

Mark Zenier

Old May 6th 06, 06:04 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave
Lisa Simpson

Went to Radio Shack & got a 6' RG-58 cable & some spade tongue connectors;
cut the cable in half, stripped the cut end & attached the spade tongue
connectors; screwed those in to the "A" & "GND" lugs of the antenna
connectors on the DX160 & the Eavesdropper PL259 connector into the female
end of the cable, and voila! : }

"Reloader" wrote in message

I used flat twin-lead TV line to a 70'random wire and with a ground to a
groung rod. worked OK for a beginner and a beginner's radio. Prone to
overload.

QUOTE=David]On 5 May 2006 13:25:03 -0700,
wrote:

Hi Lisa, when I had a DX 160, I used a simple 75' wire. Even copper
speaker wire will work. As for the PL259, I'm not sure, but I think
other people on this group will know.
Fred Burgess
Lisa Simpson wrote:
Got my DX-160 today, just discovered it doesn't have the same antenna
hook-up's as the DX-394 & the DX-302 have; can anyone tell me what
type of
antenna (preferably homemade) I should attach to it until I obtain
another
outdoor antenna for it (or at the very least figure out a way to
connect my
Eavesdropper with a feed line that has a PL259 connector)?

Alligator clip lead.

--
Reloader