Old May 12th 06, 04:14 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

Default AC Power line noise

Since T-storm seanon is here, and I have ripped my radio room to
shreds, I am
reduced to operating from a portable for a few weeks while we rebuild,
and rewire
the room.

In between the recent storms I noticed a new RFI source. A reoccuring
crackle.
While we found the source, fuse on the input to the power transformer
of the house
next door, I decided to do some additional research on power line
noise.

I found a gold mine worth of data on the ARRL page.
For those facing power line QRM a little study
could be a big help in resolving the problems.

http://www.arrl.org/tis/info/powerline-FAQ.html

Two sections were very informative:

http://www.arrl.org/tis/info/HTML/power_line_handbook/
This shows the "correct" way to do a line noise RF hunt.
Even though I can't afford the tools, it does show the "how".

And since I can't afford that...

http://www.arrl.org/tis/info/pdf/099252.pdf

I had been thinking of designing something similar, but why re-invent
the wheel. I built one using a Radio Shack Pro16 scanner and tested
it around or sub-division. The RECC people are going to get real tired
of me. I have already found several very noisy "poles".

Again please feel free to enjoy or ignore.

Terry

Old May 13th 06, 05:31 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave
Al

wrote in message
ups.com...
I found a gold mine worth of data on the ARRL page.
For those facing power line QRM a little study
could be a big help in resolving the problems.
http://www.arrl.org/tis/info/powerline-FAQ.html
http://www.arrl.org/tis/info/HTML/power_line_handbook/
http://www.arrl.org/tis/info/pdf/099252.pdf
Terry

Very good info Terry, thanks for the links.

Al KA5JGV
San Antonio, TX

Old May 13th 06, 11:40 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

Rather than build a metal box for the radio, you might want to try RF
shielding spray paint. It's about $20 a can, but it can do a few
radios. Fry's Electronics stocks it.

The hole for the speaker lets lots of RF through. You can use the
metal mesh filters used for fans in electronics gear.

Old May 14th 06, 04:11 AM posted to rec.radio.shortwave
RHF

David - You been Knocking-Up the Wrong Poles recently ? ~ RHF

Old May 14th 06, 06:00 AM posted to rec.radio.shortwave
m II

RHF wrote:

David - You been Knocking-Up the Wrong Poles recently ? ~ RHF

Either you meant 'barking up the wrong pole' or Katrina Kowalska is back
in town.

mike
Old May 14th 06, 09:46 AM posted to rec.radio.shortwave
RHF

M II,

IIRC - The Five Pound Sledge (5Lbs) is for Tapping the Pole
while monitoring the Noise for see 'if' there are any loose
connections in the overhead Wires of Equipment.

Yes David has many Faults
-but- He does not Bark at Poles - Right or Wrong [.]

Miss Katrina Kowalska is a Lady of Great Virtue and
Temperament; who prides herself on her ethnic background.
- - - Please Note that Her Twin Older Brothers are
Tag-Team-Members of the WWE and go by the Ring Name
"The Crazy-Polocks" http://www.wwe.com/

yes it is that simple - iane ~ RHF
Old May 14th 06, 03:48 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave
m II

RHF wrote:

yes it is that simple - iane ~ RHF

Thank you for the clarification. Amazing where some mixed up metaphors
can lead us. We should encourage them and if this thing ever snowballs,
it will set the town on fire.

http://therussler.tripod.com/dtps/mixed_metaphors.html

mike
Old May 14th 06, 10:12 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave
David

On Sun, 14 May 2006 16:50:49 -0400, dxAce
wrote:

I do something like that as well, then I call the power company and they bring
out their $5000 + little receiver and yagi antenna and pinpoint the exact
source.

No problems here at the moment.

dxAce
Michigan
USA

That would be quite a large Yagi-Uda at HF frequencies.

Old May 14th 06, 10:18 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave
dxAce

wrote:

I do something like that as well, then I call the power company and they bring
out their $5000 + little receiver and yagi antenna and pinpoint the exact
source.

No problems here at the moment.

That would be quite a large Yagi-Uda at HF frequencies.

No ****, Sherlock.

Who said the Yagi that they use was an HF one?

Go take your meds.

dxAce
Michigan
USA