Old May 20th 06, 01:24 AM posted to rec.radio.shortwave
Unrevealed Source

Default Two antenna questions

1) Does anyone have any experience with or recommend an alternative to an
Alpha Delta switch, model Delta 4? Since the Daiwa CS-401 is discontinued
and seemingly impossible to find, I'm looking to upgrade from 2 to four
positions (more radios) but don't want the cheap junk of MFJ. Is there
another good but reasonably priced 4-port switch that anyone has experience
with, or do you recommend the Alpha Delta? That one is $75. This is for
receive only.

2) What do you do if you have succesfully matched your longwire to a 50ohm
coax with a MLB and have coax coming into the house, but now want to use
that on a high-impedance antenna input (those radios that don't have a coax
connection but just a terminal or jack for a long wire)? Do you do another
MLB with just a short length of wire on the antenna side for connection to
the radio?

Thanks in advance for any informative responses.

Not a question, but some obvervations: Just got two new radios. First was
a Sony ICF-5900W (thanks Mike!). Excellent working condition and very
solid. After giving it a good bath (alcohol, toothbrush, Q-tips, etc) and
then some Novus, and of course making sure the innards were clean and lubed,
it works like a charm and looks almost brand new. Very sensitive radio. I
was most impressed by the audio clarity. Side by side with the RF-2200 I
might have to give the edge to the Sony, for just voice clarity.

Second new radio was a Panasonic RF-5000A. I have always wanted one but
they go for too much and those that don't are generally pretty banged up.
Got an eBay Second-Chance offer and lucked out. Amazingly well-preserved.
Did a similar but more involved cleaning, and was a little intimidated at
first when I opened it up. Have you ever seen the inside of one of these?
Definitely the most well-built radio that I have ever seen, and once I sat
down and took my time it was actually easy to dissassemble. After a
thorough cleaning and reassembly, it looks like new. Literally. And it
works great. There is no doubt that it is, as most say, the best sounding
portable ever. This is one BIG and HEAVY radio. Shortwave seems to be
pretty sensitive, but I haven't put it through any serious head-to-head
comparisons. This may be my new "Best of Show", based on condition and just
how cool it is. If you ever have a chance to pick one of these up, you'll
love it.

Old May 20th 06, 04:26 AM posted to rec.radio.shortwave
David

On Fri, 19 May 2006 20:24:19 -0400, "Unrevealed Source"
wrote:

[...]

Low Z generators are allowed into Medium Z inputs.

You cannot feed a Low Zinput with a Higher Z generator

Think of Impedance ''Z'' as the diameter of a pipe.

Old May 20th 06, 06:12 AM posted to rec.radio.shortwave
Telamon

In article ,
"Unrevealed Source" wrote:

1) Does anyone have any experience with or recommend an alternative to an
Alpha Delta switch, model Delta 4? Since the Daiwa CS-401 is discontinued
and seemingly impossible to find, I'm looking to upgrade from 2 to four
positions (more radios) but don't want the cheap junk of MFJ. Is there
another good but reasonably priced 4-port switch that anyone has experience
with, or do you recommend the Alpha Delta? That one is $75. This is for
receive only.

Try the radio swap groups or amateur news groups.

2) What do you do if you have succesfully matched your longwire to a 50ohm
coax with a MLB and have coax coming into the house, but now want to use
that on a high-impedance antenna input (those radios that don't have a coax
connection but just a terminal or jack for a long wire)? Do you do another
MLB with just a short length of wire on the antenna side for connection to
the radio?

This post may not be much help but that said using another MLB in
reverse from low to high impedance is at least theoretically correct.

Practically though you might be better off using a single insulated wire
from the long wire to the radio high impedance input as long as house
local noise is not an issue.

--
Telamon
Ventura, California
Old May 20th 06, 10:20 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave
James

He said in his post that the Alpha Delta has four position switches. That
is why he wants it.

Alpha Delta has four position switches. See their web site. Or try the
Ameritron web site for really heavy duty.

bob
k5qwg

Old May 21st 06, 01:12 AM posted to rec.radio.shortwave
Unrevealed Source

And I'm wondering if anyone has one, and can make recommendations
for/against and possible alternatives.

. ..

Old May 23rd 06, 11:38 AM posted to rec.radio.shortwave
Unrevealed Source

It does help, thank.

Are you implying that you've actually used an Antenna -to- MLB -to- Coax
Cable -to- MLB -to- Radio setup?

"RHF" wrote in message
ups.com...
URS,

The "Alpha Delta" - Delta 2 and Delta 4 Antenna Switches
are still listed at Universal Radio
http://www.universal-radio.com/catalog/switch/2415.html
http://www.universal-radio.com/catal...ch/2415alt.gif
http://www.universal-radio.com/catalog/switch/0011.html

FWIW - I like the design lay-out and the solid build
quality {Feel} of the Alpha Delta Antenna Switches.
[ Having all the Coax Connectors on one side ]

Daiwa Antenna Switches are also listed at Universal Radio
http://www.universal-radio.com/catalog/switch/1864.html

List of Antenna Switches at Universal Radio
http://www.universal-radio.com/catalog/switch.html

Also check
* Amateur Electronics {Equipment} Supply (AES)
AES HAM = http://www.aesham.com/
* Ham Radio Outlet (HRO)
HRO = http://www.hamradio.com/

For the 'used' Antenna Switches : Why not check eBay
on a Weekly basis to see what might come along.
* Search eBay for [ antenna + switch ]
in Category : Radios : CB, Ham & Shortwave
ANTENNA SWITCH = http://tinyurl.com/nx4pz

For "Receive Only" Low-Power {No Power} Use
even a TV type Antenna Switch could work with
the right Adapters. Also some of the CB quality
Antenna Switches with SO-239 Jacks will do.

eHAM Reviews for Category : Antenna Switches
http://www.eham.net/reviews/products/2

# 2 - Yes - Antenna -to- MLB -to- Coax Cable
-to- MLB -to- Radio - Works !

hope this helps - iane ~ RHF
.

/ \

Old May 23rd 06, 02:52 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave
David

On Tue, 23 May 2006 06:38:18 -0400, "Unrevealed Source"
wrote:

It does help, thank.

Are you implying that you've actually used an Antenna -to- MLB -to- Coax
Cable -to- MLB -to- Radio setup?

Not necessary.