Old May 22nd 06, 06:33 PM posted to rec.antiques.radio+phono,rec.radio.amateur.equipment,rec.radio.amateur.misc,rec.radio.shortwave
DeserTBoB

Default Ebay & "The Market"

On Mon, 22 May 2006 16:16:51 GMT, "Michael A. Terrell"
wrote:

According to the snowbirds from the New England area, Florida is the
southern tip of new England. snip

I thought the Noo Yawkuhs declared it an eighth borough. At least
they vote correctly!
Old May 22nd 06, 07:47 PM posted to rec.antiques.radio+phono,rec.radio.amateur.equipment,rec.radio.amateur.misc,rec.radio.shortwave
Michael Lawson

Default Dayton HamFest killed by E-Bay

"CAINE" wrote in message
oups.com...
good points.

The local flea markets here, always seem so barren of good stuff.

So I
managed to get to one 35 minutes before official opening time.

I was surpised to see the smart buyers already walking out with

boxes
full of all the good stuff !

The best items sell, as the spots are still being set up.

I have to agree. I got to Dayton last year shortly after
the opening, and there were already some R5000's
and some beautiful old Hallicrafters that already had
"sold" tags on them.

--Mike L.

Old May 22nd 06, 08:11 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave
Caveat Lector

Default Dayton HamFest

Oh Yeah - try being a vendor at hamfests
Add em up
Travel $30 to $300
Booth cost Typical $250 - Some fests charge extra for power
Hotel costs $120 to $350
Food $45

The small item vendor has to sell a ton of stuff just to break even

At one ham fest I guy offered me 1/3 price for a book
I relied "Which Chapter do you want?"

--
CL -- I doubt, therefore I might be !

Old May 22nd 06, 08:12 PM posted to rec.antiques.radio+phono,rec.radio.amateur.equipment,rec.radio.amateur.misc,rec.radio.shortwave
Cheesehead

I've gone 5 of the past 6 years.
4 years ago there was a tent full of old AS/400 CPUs.
Less of that this year. Still, a lot of junk every year.
People wanting high-dollar for very-worn equipment.
That was disappointing.

What gets me is the guys selling bootleg MS software for big bucks.
Illegal as all get-out.
But tolerated, apparently, by HamVention.
They could get in big trouble.
That would be sad.

But it's not the only way that the WWW has changed Dayton.
It's changed the whole of communication.
Repeater/IP connections may be nifty, but they're not radio.

Collin
KC8TKA

Old May 22nd 06, 08:18 PM posted to rec.antiques.radio+phono,rec.radio.amateur.equipment,rec.radio.amateur.misc,rec.radio.shortwave
Cheesehead

Just park down @ the church for just $5.

What got me this year was the police sign about ticketing jaywalkers.
Sheesh. Is Barney Fife now the sheriff?

Old May 22nd 06, 08:20 PM posted to rec.antiques.radio+phono,rec.radio.amateur.equipment,rec.radio.amateur.misc,rec.radio.shortwave
Cheesehead

Default Dayton HamFest killed by OBSCENE ADMISSION $$$

They way the Cubs are playing, don't be so certain.

Old May 22nd 06, 08:21 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave
Lisa Simpson

Yeah, I was gonna go on Friday, but work wouldn't allow it : {

"Michael Lawson" wrote in message

"Lisa Simpson" wrote in message
.. .
Just returned from the Dayton HamFest; only found a coupla SW

receivers for
sale, used, high-ish prices; quite a few old tube receivers way

overpriced,
and of course the new ones at normal to slightly high prices.
Disappointing.

Last year when I went on a Friday, I found numerous
Icoms, Kenwoods and the occasional Drake for sale.
My suspicion is that Friday is the day to go, because
the prices weren't too bad for, say, an R71A compared
to what you get on eBay for it (shipping included).

Of course, the best part is that you get to try the darn
thing out first before you buy it, so you'll know if you're
getting a lemon. That's probably why our favorite eBayer
isn't usally at Dayton to sell things, even though it's
not a far drive for him. I went through about 4-5
Hallicrafters SX-100's before I found one that I liked
enough to buy.

For my money, the most overpriced item was a
Hammarlund HQ-180A that was covered in rust
and crud and someone was asking $500 for it.

--Mike L.

Old May 22nd 06, 08:26 PM posted to rec.antiques.radio+phono,rec.radio.amateur.equipment,rec.radio.amateur.misc,rec.radio.shortwave
Michael A. Terrell

Cheesehead wrote:

Just park down @ the church for just $5.

What got me this year was the police sign about ticketing jaywalkers.
Sheesh. Is Barney Fife now the sheriff?

Maybe it has something to do with the number of people hit by a car
or truck, and the number of other accidents they cause when they step
out in front of a moving vehicle. I've seen quite a few wrecks going
to, and leaving large hamfests that could have been avoided by keeping
foot traffic away from the vehicular traffic.

--
My sig file can beat up your sig file!
Old May 22nd 06, 08:27 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.equipment,rec.radio.amateur.misc,rec.radio.shortwave
Michael A. Terrell

wrote:

According to the snowbirds from the New England area, Florida is the
southern tip of new England. snip

I thought the Noo Yawkuhs declared it an eighth borough. At least
they vote correctly!

Ya think it migt be related to the huge infestation of them during
November?

--
My sig file can beat up your sig file!
Old May 22nd 06, 08:38 PM posted to rec.antiques.radio+phono,rec.radio.amateur.equipment,rec.radio.amateur.misc,rec.radio.shortwave
John S.

Peter Wieck wrote:
After reading all this, and with the recent Kutztown event in the
background, as well as my three weekend finds, I am not so sure eBay
has much to do with anything as to radio prices or availability. This
is based on several assumptions which I will list for
correction/addition/amplification:

Internet based sales have a huge advantage over in-place sales like
Dayton. Ebay and other sales sites can as we all know bring sellers
from around the world at any time of the day. It just isn't possible
to get that kind of coverage at an arena in Ohio.

To the extent that buyer and seller are honest (and most are) internet
sales work very well because money and the good to be sold have to be
moved only once.

It is for the exact same reason that in-person antique shows are having
a hard go of it.

DAYTON HAMFEST. REFF. Jerry Swap 1 May 19th 04 01:33 AM
DAYTON HAMFEST FOR SALE ITEM'S Jerry Swap 0 May 10th 04 02:24 PM
FS; DAYTON HAMFEST SPACES Galaxyelc Swap 0 May 5th 04 12:17 PM
Dayton hamfest question CSFD Swap 1 April 6th 04 04:56 AM
dayton hamfest Galaxyelc Swap 3 March 24th 04 02:08 AM