Old May 21st 06, 09:30 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave
Ken Bessler

Default [OT] Mystery CW sig on LW

I'm trying to ID this signal on 296khz. I don't think it's
an NDB. I've been hunting NDB's for years and this
signal is unlike any I've heard. There is a 4 second long
tone followed by the letters EUEINE then back to the
tone. The CW speed is also much, much faster than any
NDB I've ever heard. The signal is always on, even
when conditions are poor so I'm pretty sure it's local
to me (Wichita, KS).

Anybody care to guess what it is?

--
73's de Ken KG0WX - Kadiddlehopper #11808,
Flying Pigs #-1055, Grid EM17io, TS-850SAT, AL-84,

Old May 24th 06, 11:25 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave
clifto

Doug Smith W9WI wrote:
Ken Bessler wrote:
I'm trying to ID this signal on 296khz. I don't think it's
an NDB. I've been hunting NDB's for years and this
signal is unlike any I've heard. There is a 4 second long
tone followed by the letters EUEINE then back to the
tone. The CW speed is also much, much faster than any
NDB I've ever heard. The signal is always on, even
when conditions are poor so I'm pretty sure it's local
to me (Wichita, KS).

I've heard signals like that before down there. Figured I was somehow
hearing "inverted CW" -- I was hearing a tone when the key was up and
not when the key was down.

That's the general area of the DGPS beacon stations, though to my knowledge
none of them sends any CW, only the MSK tweedling sound heard when a BFO
is used. Also, I believe they're all on odd frequencies like 297 KHz.

--
Britney Spears' Guide to Semiconductor Physics
http://britneyspears.ac/lasers.htm
Old May 25th 06, 11:55 AM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

Default Mystery CW sig on LW

Ken Bessler wrote:
I'm trying to ID this signal on 296khz. I don't think it's
an NDB. I've been hunting NDB's for years and this
signal is unlike any I've heard. There is a 4 second long
tone followed by the letters EUEINE then back to the
tone. The CW speed is also much, much faster than any
NDB I've ever heard. The signal is always on, even
when conditions are poor so I'm pretty sure it's local
to me (Wichita, KS).

Anybody care to guess what it is?

--
73's de Ken KG0WX - Kadiddlehopper #11808,
Flying Pigs #-1055, Grid EM17io, TS-850SAT, AL-84,
Elecraft XG2, 4SQRP Tenna Dipper, Heath GD-1B

USCG DGPS
http://www.navcen.uscg.gov/ado/DgpsCompleteConfiguration_tabular.asp
Email dead, don't bother to try.