Old May 22nd 06, 07:25 AM posted to rec.radio.shortwave
mike maghakian

Default Any mods on these receivers ?

I have the following receivers coming in soon that I want to investigate any
possible mods that can be done. I already know what Kiwa can do so those
don't need to be mentioned.

AOR AR3030
Drake SW-2
Palstar R30C
Lowe HF-150

I will as usual be investigating upgrading the IF filters but any other
known mods would be interesting to hear about

thanks to all with the good stuff to contribute.

Old May 22nd 06, 02:35 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave
David

On Sun, 21 May 2006 23:25:13 -0700, "mike maghakian"
wrote:

I have the following receivers coming in soon that I want to investigate any
possible mods that can be done. I already know what Kiwa can do so those
don't need to be mentioned.

AOR AR3030
Drake SW-2
Palstar R30C
Lowe HF-150

I will as usual be investigating upgrading the IF filters but any other
known mods would be interesting to hear about

thanks to all with the good stuff to contribute.

The SW2 will need a rotary encoder.

Old May 22nd 06, 10:35 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave
Bill

wrote:

I have the following receivers coming in soon that I want to investigate
any
possible mods that can be done. I already know what Kiwa can do so those
don't need to be mentioned.

AOR AR3030
Drake SW-2
Palstar R30C
Lowe HF-150

I will as usual be investigating upgrading the IF filters but any other
known mods would be interesting to hear about

thanks to all with the good stuff to contribute.

The SW2 will need a rotary encoder.

True indeed, but it's a fine radio!

Old May 23rd 06, 04:33 AM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

The 3030 could benefit with PIN diodes in the front end, but all-in-all
it's a decent receiver with good selectivity filters.

The SW-2 has decent filters but I found the 6 kHz AM filter to be a bit
wide. The encoder will eventually give you trouble.

The R-30C should be a decent receiver all around if they ever fixed the
unstable IF and the huge amount of birdies it had.

Frank

Old May 24th 06, 05:21 AM posted to rec.radio.shortwave
HFguy

wrote:

I have the following receivers coming in soon that I want to investigate
any
possible mods that can be done. I already know what Kiwa can do so those
don't need to be mentioned.

AOR AR3030
Drake SW-2
Palstar R30C
Lowe HF-150

I will as usual be investigating upgrading the IF filters but any other
known mods would be interesting to hear about

thanks to all with the good stuff to contribute.

The SW2 will need a rotary encoder.

True indeed, but it's a fine radio!

The SW2 may not use the same mechanical tuning encoder as the R8B. I
know the encoder on the SW8 is different than the R8B. I've never had
any problem with the SW8 encoder.

Old May 24th 06, 01:54 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

I have the Palstar R30CC .
The tuning knob was changed by Palstar to a new type with no "wobble"
and now
it's smooth as silk. You might consider getting it from palster
directly. Under $10 shipped and while
you are talkig to themask about the Collins filter they put in the CC
model

Hope this helps

Charlie

Old May 24th 06, 07:21 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave
Dale Parfitt

"mike maghakian" wrote in message
. ..
I have the following receivers coming in soon that I want to investigate
any possible mods that can be done. I already know what Kiwa can do so
those don't need to be mentioned.

AOR AR3030
Drake SW-2
Palstar R30C
Lowe HF-150

Pretty easy to add backlighting to the HF-150. Some danger ( cracking
display) and machining required but well worth the effort:
http://www.parelectronics.com/pics/hf150bl.jpg

Dale W4OP

One antenna, multiple receivers? digitania Shortwave 6 December 5th 04 01:36 AM
ICOM 735 mods ab Homebrew 0 December 4th 04 02:17 PM
REPLY>>>any/all mods for the RCI 2950. Wes Golden General 1 July 15th 04 08:25 AM
FS:GEVoter selectors and MastrII receivers sbs Swap 0 June 25th 04 06:28 PM
a page of motorola 2way 2 way portable and mobile radio history john private smith Policy 0 December 22nd 03 02:42 AM