Old May 24th 06, 11:03 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

Default Antenna for Office Radio

I finally have an office where I can have a radio. Unfortunately it
is on the bottom floor - more or less a basement and has no window. I
am getting a CCRadio Plus (yes I have read the pros and cons but I got
a good deal relatively speaking to the list price, and have a 30-day
trial). My opinion is that I may need some sort of other antenna
especially for AM and maybe FM too for that matter due to the possibly
poor building location, plus it is a small town so the best stations
are at least 50 - 100 miles. I know about the selct-a-tenna etc. Crane
sells but am not eager to pony up more $ should I need an external
antenna. Is there anything that will look suitable for office use that
I can add to the external antenna jack on the Crane if I need it that
won't set me back a lot more cash? Thanks.

Old May 24th 06, 11:25 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave
Bob Miller

On 24 May 2006 15:03:02 -0700, wrote:

I finally have an office where I can have a radio. Unfortunately it
is on the bottom floor - more or less a basement and has no window. I
am getting a CCRadio Plus (yes I have read the pros and cons but I got
a good deal relatively speaking to the list price, and have a 30-day
trial). My opinion is that I may need some sort of other antenna
especially for AM and maybe FM too for that matter due to the possibly
poor building location, plus it is a small town so the best stations
are at least 50 - 100 miles. I know about the selct-a-tenna etc. Crane
sells but am not eager to pony up more $ should I need an external
antenna. Is there anything that will look suitable for office use that
I can add to the external antenna jack on the Crane if I need it that
won't set me back a lot more cash? Thanks.

The radio has a built-in 8-inch ferrite bar antenna, so simply
rotating the radio should be sufficient for bringing in most stations.
Otherwise, the manual recommends a 50 foot wire on the jack as an
external AM antenna. You could try that as a cheapo option.

I have the Select-a-tenna device, and it works extremely well on weak
AM stations, "if" they are in the clear, frequency-wise.

There's no jack for an external FM antenna, so short of coupling
something to the built-in whip, your options are limited.

It's a good radio, but don't expect miracles.

bob
k5qwg
Old May 25th 06, 04:19 AM posted to rec.radio.shortwave
Eric F. Richards

Bob Miller wrote:

The radio has a built-in 8-inch ferrite bar antenna, so simply
rotating the radio should be sufficient for bringing in most stations.
Otherwise, the manual recommends a 50 foot wire on the jack as an
external AM antenna. You could try that as a cheapo option.

I had excellent results using copper alarm tape from Rat Shack to use
as an antenna. Even soldering wire to it (not while it's on the
window!) turned out to be pretty easy. Put the tape along the edge of
a window but not up against the frame itself -- if you have window
shades, the top of the window may be your best bet.

--
Eric F. Richards,
"It's the Din of iBiquity." -- Frank Dresser

Old May 25th 06, 01:14 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

http://www.usatoday.com/money/media/...24-xm-ap_x.htm

..

..

Old May 25th 06, 06:34 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave
RHF

EFR,

Yes Copper {Foil} Alarm Tape can be put to use as
Loop Antenna around the Window about an Inch or
two away from the Metal Frame of the Window.

If the Loop does not work 'cut' the Tape in the middle
of the Loop and try it as a Folded {Bent} Dipole. The
Dipole-on-the-Window usually works better for FM Radio.

Also if the Copper {Foil} Tape is too much of a Eye
Sore - Then try very thin Magnet Wire with a few
pieces of Scotch {Clear} Tape to hold it in-place on
the Window. The Magnet Wire on the Window
usually allows for several turns about and Inch
apart either as a Loop Antenna or as a bent spiral
Random Wire Antenna.

just my two cents worth - iane ~ RHF
Old May 25th 06, 06:42 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave
RHF

Bob [K5QWG],

Yes the Select-A-Tenna placed near a Window or
Out-Side {Exterior} Wall where the AM/MW Radio
Reception is good can be one way of 'importing a
Signal from a remote location to a Desk inside an
Office.

Use Speaker Wire {Twisted} with an 1/8" Mono-Plug
on one end to plug into the Select-A-Tenna and
connect the two Wires on the other end to the
Terminals of the Radio.

hope this helps - iane ~ RHF
Old May 25th 06, 07:30 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave
Bob Miller

On 25 May 2006 10:42:51 -0700, "RHF"
wrote:

Bob [K5QWG],

Yes the Select-A-Tenna placed near a Window or
Out-Side {Exterior} Wall where the AM/MW Radio
Reception is good can be one way of 'importing a
Signal from a remote location to a Desk inside an
Office.

Wrong, it doesn't have to be where the reception is "good" or near a
window.

bob
k5qwg

Use Speaker Wire {Twisted} with an 1/8" Mono-Plug
on one end to plug into the Select-A-Tenna and
connect the two Wires on the other end to the
Terminals of the Radio.

hope this helps - iane ~ RHF
.

/ \