Old May 30th 06, 11:04 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave
Too_Many_Tools

Default Eton E-10 Shortwave Radio at Radio Shack

Does anyone have any reviews on this radio?

I have seen some negative comments on it but the word around Radio
Shack was it was a good radio and it FLEW off the shelves at the
closeout price.

If it was a bad radio, it would still be there.

Thanks

TMT

Old May 31st 06, 05:12 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave
Too_Many_Tools

Thanks for the links.

I had seen the Eham.net review but did not know it was a rebadged
Tecsun.

And for what it is worth, the E10 is $49.97 at Radio Shack.

From what I see, the radio looks to be a rather good performer.

So for $50 and the positive reviews, it would seem that the radio is a
good buy.

So why all the negative press?

Bitter grapes resulting from the demise of the amateur radio industry
in the US and the rise of the competition in China?

TMT

Charly wrote:
Too_Many_Tools wrote:
Does anyone have any reviews on this radio?

I have seen some negative comments on it but the word around Radio
Shack was it was a good radio and it FLEW off the shelves at the
closeout price.

If it was a bad radio, it would still be there.

Thanks

TMT

Just try this : http://www.google.fr/search?q=eton+e10+review

One end user review here :
http://www.eham.net/reviews/detail/5100

The Eton E10 is a rebadged PL550 Tecsun Radio :
http://www.radiointel.com/review-pl550.htm

Eton price : 100 US$
Tecsun price : 50 US$ off eBay + shipping (can be 25 US$ !)

For the same price you can also consider buying the Degen 1103 or 1102 that are
said to be good performers. I found on eBay today a DE1102 with a free SW active
antenna DE31... Can be a good deal for that price...

Just my 2 cents,

Charly
(I have no interrest nor link or whatsoever with the above companies)

Old May 31st 06, 05:39 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave
John S.

Charly wrote:
Too_Many_Tools wrote:
Does anyone have any reviews on this radio?

I have seen some negative comments on it but the word around Radio
Shack was it was a good radio and it FLEW off the shelves at the
closeout price.

If it was a bad radio, it would still be there.

Thanks

TMT

Just try this : http://www.google.fr/search?q=eton+e10+review

One end user review here :
http://www.eham.net/reviews/detail/5100

The Eton E10 is a rebadged PL550 Tecsun Radio :
http://www.radiointel.com/review-pl550.htm

Eton price : 100 US$
Tecsun price : 50 US$ off eBay + shipping (can be 25 US$ !)

For the same price you can also consider buying the Degen 1103 or 1102 that are
said to be good performers. I found on eBay today a DE1102 with a free SW active
antenna DE31... Can be a good deal for that price...

Agree completely. The Tecsun is not a bad radio but the Degen radios
you mentioned offer improvements in performance for about the same
price. At $100.00 the E10 was horribly over priced. It is a good
looking radio though.

Old May 31st 06, 09:24 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave
Too_Many_Tools

Agreed...but again the E10 is at $50...not $100....and it FLEW off the
shelves at Radio Shack.

In the big picture. really how important is SSB?

The fact that more and more radios are being released without SSB is a
case of the marketplace trying to tell us something.

TMT

Old June 11th 06, 04:08 AM posted to rec.radio.shortwave
S Walters

Too_Many_Tools wrote:
Does anyone have any reviews on this radio?

I have seen some negative comments on it but the word around Radio
Shack was it was a good radio and it FLEW off the shelves at the
closeout price.

If it was a bad radio, it would still be there.

Thanks

TMT

I just bought one and am still learning to use it. I have a Sony 7600GR
and a recently purchased Kaito 1102 and I like them all. I can see why
Eton calls this the Elite Series. The performance is good and build
quality is excellent. The bright amber backlight on th E10 can be made
to stay on indefinitely. The tuning knob works well and at two tuning
rates. The software setup can be altered by entering certain codes.
The chuffing in the tuning knob can be selectively turned off. I wish
it had SSB and a continuously variable attenuator but this is a good
radio. The audio is pleasant and has a very powerfull audio amp. This
radio has volume to spare. Yes, it is overpriced but it i sobvious that
some real R&D is going into shortwave radios right now and to me that
is worth a little extra. With the way the world is now and the domestic
media controlled and the internet eventually going to be controlled,
everyone needs to buy and learn to use a shortwave radio.