Old June 2nd 06, 07:06 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

Default First spacebound radio message?

When was the first message sent by radio that would
have made it through the ionosphere into outer space?
I figure it must have been in the nineteenth century sometime.

Or more specifically how many light years away is that first
message now?

Old June 2nd 06, 07:11 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave
an_old_friend

A wrote:
When was the first message sent by radio that would
have made it through the ionosphere into outer space?
I figure it must have been in the nineteenth century sometime.

Or more specifically how many light years away is that first
message now?

depends on the power level you mean I am sure a spark gap signal made
it out when Morse sent his "what has god wrout" message from Blt to
washignton (or the other way round

Old June 2nd 06, 07:25 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

Let me sit down before I fall down.He Ran All the Way movie is on tv
now.

You ran all the wayyy,,, Johnny Reb,, Johnny Reb,,, You ran all the
wayyyyy,,,,,,,
Chanchellorsville,,,,,,
cuhulin

Old June 3rd 06, 06:40 AM posted to rec.radio.shortwave
HFguy

A wrote:
When was the first message sent by radio that would
have made it through the ionosphere into outer space?
I figure it must have been in the nineteenth century sometime.

Or more specifically how many light years away is that first
message now?

That's a good question and almost impossible to answer with certainty.
It depends on the transmission frequency, antenna configuration and the
condition of the ionosphere at the time. Spark gap transmissions are
rich in harmonics (many frequencies) so it's possible that some portion
of a spark gap signal was able to pass through the ionosphere, most
likely the higher frequencies. In that case it's been about a hundred
years since we announced are presence to the universe. That would put
the signal at 100-light years away, which includes more than two
thousand stars in our region of the galaxie. However the chance of
intelligent life on a planet orbiting one of those stars is extemely
small, so it's not likely that anyone has received our first radio
transmissions yet. I suppose you can't rule out the possiblility that
someone passing by in their spaceship may have heard it. ;-)
Old June 3rd 06, 06:59 AM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

When the Universe was born.Radius,the Universe is a big Radius/Radio.
cuhulin

Old June 3rd 06, 07:09 AM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

Seeeee,I have never seen before what I would consider to be aliens,or
ufos,from another Planet.Although I am skeptical of such things,I think
I do have an open mind.(if in fact,I do have a mind at all?) Seems to me
there is a heck of a lot of real estate in our Universe and billions of
Planets out there,many millions of years old.But what do I know? I am
only a Mississippi caterwaller.Show me the Proof.
cuhulin