Old June 14th 06, 12:18 AM posted to rec.radio.shortwave
Slow Code

Default Lightning Protection - "The Extra Step" - Un-Plugging the AC Power - Question : Do You ?

"RHF" wrote in
oups.com:

Tim - What I Post -is- What I Post ~ RHF
[ What Your Choose To Read -is- Up To You ! :]

Lightning Protection - "The Extra Step"
- Un-Plugging the AC Power - Do You ?
- - - Link Removed - - -
{ And Now You Know - The Message Is The Same Here-or-There }

Robert [VA2ERY],

I believe that Chris is also Un-Pugging the Equipment
from their AC Power Sources : The Household AC Power
System can be the path of destruction for a 'very near'
{Tree-in-the-Yard} Lightning Hit.

Many Do Not 'un-plug' the AC Power Cord from their Equipment.

Some do 'un-plug' the AC Power Cord from the Wall Outlet.

Some will 'un-plug' the AC Power Cord from the Equipment.

Some may 'un-plug' the AC Power Strip (Surge Protector)
from the Wall Outlet.

Some simply 'Turn-Off' the AC Power Strip (Surge Protector).

Some go way beyond 'disconnect' the Antenna from the
Equipment; and will put a Shorting Plug / Wire across
the Antenna Inputs of the Equipment; plus they will
Un-plug the Equipment from the AC Power.
{ Usually these Guys wear both a Belt and Suspenders :-}

WORST CASE SCENARIO :
-IF- Lightning Directly Hits your Shack and Fuses
All the Equipment and sets your House-on-Fire and
the House Burns Down to the Ground : While you are
away on Vacation with your Family. -Remember -
You Are Still Alive and Your Family Is Safe [.]

FWIW - The Gralic always grows best around a well
watered Ground Rod or the Concrete Pier foundation
of a Radio Tower )

as aways i am un-plugged - cause - iane ~ RHF
.

/ \

I generally don't unplug or switch off anything, but when I hear corona
discharge on my radios as some t-storms cause, I get goose bumps and start
unplugging and switching off things like a mad man. Larger Higher
antennas seem to collect a charge more. A couple of my antennas aren't DC
ground I and can spark the coax to ground with some storms. Freaky.

Hey, new way to charge up a capacitor.

sc