Old June 19th 06, 01:34 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave
Doug Smith W9WI

Default yaesu FT100-D cant transmit problem

dingus wrote:
I recently bought a yaesu FT100D and had it modified so i could
transmit on the marine VHF bands. After the modification i cannot
transmit on the SSB ham bands. I unable to contact the guy that did
the modification. Any suggestions as to what may be the problem? I
tried transmitting with and without my antenna tuner without success.

One can only guess without seeing the radio & knowing what the guy did.
Usually frequency-expansion mods like this involve reprogramming the
CPU chip by removing/moving/installing diodes.

---------------------------------------

One possibility is that this modification has unexpected side-effects;
if you were to undo it - put the diodes back to put the radio back to
factory condition - the HF capability would come back.

A few years ago, if you knew how to solder it would be fairly trivial
for you to undo this mod yourself. However, with modern radios the
diodes in question are surface-mount. I have nearly 40 years
"shade-tree" experience working on electronic gear & would not guarantee
my ability to safely undo a surface-mount mod. I certainly would not
recommend that an inexperienced technician try it.

It is conceivable there's a different mod that will allow you to both
keep the marine VHF transmit and the HF transmit. The manufacturer
isn't going to tell you what it is (and I certainly have no idea!) so
you're going to be taking your chances...

---------------------------------------

The other possibility is that the guy doing the mod made a mistake &
nicked a wire somewhere, or got a tool somewhere he shouldn't have &
shorted a circuit, or dropped a solder blob or wire end in the works
somewhere. There's no way to troubleshoot that over the Internet. A
technician is going to have to examine the radio.

---------------------------------------

What exactly does it do? Does it *receive* OK on the ham bands? Does
it transmit CW on the ham bands? How about FM transmit? (above 29MHz
only, unless you live in a country that for some reason allows FM
transmission on lower frequencies!) How about transmit on 50MHz?

What does it do when you try to transmit ham SSB? (no output at all?
TX light doesn't light? Error message in the display?)

Are you certain it transmitted on the SSB ham bands *before* it was
modified?

---------------------------------------

I think you're going to have to take the radio to a qualified Icom
technician.

--
Doug Smith W9WI
Pleasant View (Nashville), TN EM66

Yaesu FT-50RD Transmit Problem Jim Dockery Equipment 2 November 10th 05 03:02 AM
Yaesu FT-707 problem Krzysztof Homebrew 0 January 25th 05 03:35 PM
yaesu ft 8100 problem sv7fib Equipment 0 March 18th 04 05:28 AM
FS, Yaesu 767 HF base, No Transmit K9ike Swap 1 October 20th 03 02:25 AM
FS, Yaesu 767 Hf Rig, No Transmit K9ike Swap 0 October 14th 03 02:22 AM