RadioBanter

-   -   radio australia signal is weak (https://www.radiobanter.com/shortwave/98413-radio-australia-signal-weak.html)

ngu November 30th 06 01:08 PM

radio australia signal is weak

Why? Surely the West Coast is nearer to Australia than the East Coast is?

bpnjensen November 30th 06 04:23 PM

radio australia signal is weak

ngu wrote:
I'm in an apartment in Hong Kong with a Sony ICF 7600GR tied to a few metres
of wire hanging outside the window as antenna.

Radio Australia is strong as if it is my local MW station. That's probably
because they've relays in Singapore and Taiwan. In contrast, Radio New
Zealand is noticeably weaker although it's still audible. Seems their
signal come all the way from their country with no relay halfway.

I'm very surprised that you could pick them up as far as central US.

I've never had any particular trouble receiving the Aussies from
anywhere I've lived in the U.S., east or west, almost any time of day,
since 1973. That big watery mirror between them and us gives us a leg
up, I suppose.

In fact, this past week, their domestic-program 50 kW stations on 60m
were banging in here better than I can ever remember.

Bruce Jensen