Old July 10th 06, 07:51 AM
Senior Member

Location: san francisco, ca
Default radio australia signal is weak

I had success receiving Radio Australia last summer in the 19 meter band. I've been looking up their frequencies on primetimeshortwave.com . Lately I am only getting faint signals, which are even weaker than the Voice of Russia.

Has anyone in North America had success with Radio Australia in the past few months? I'm curious to know which times and frequencies are successful.

Typically I use a Sony ICF SW7600GR or Eton E5 with just the builtin antenna. Grounding hasn't helped much - the signal just seems too weak. I'm in an apartment and I don't have the option for a lengthy outdoor antenna. I have a DE31 loop antenna that doesn't really help.
__________________
weatherall :: http://cobaltpet.blogspot.com/
Old July 10th 06, 12:49 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

at 11:45 UTC, Picking it up here on 9.580 (using an external antenna )

but am able to pick it up On The Whip with my Degen DE1105

Signal strong but full of static due to Air Conditioners . ..

Radio New Zealand has been absent the last few nights

--
weatherall

Old July 10th 06, 01:36 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

weatherall wrote:
I had success receiving Radio Australia last summer in the 19 meter
band. I've been looking up their frequencies on primetimeshortwave.com
. Lately I am only getting faint signals, which are even weaker than
the Voice of Russia.

Has anyone in North America had success with Radio Australia in the
past few months? I'm curious to know which times and frequencies are
successful.

Typically I use a Sony ICF SW7600GR or Eton E5 with just the builtin
antenna. Grounding hasn't helped much - the signal just seems too
weak. I'm in an apartment and I don't have the option for a lengthy
outdoor antenna. I have a DE31 loop antenna that doesn't really help.

--
weatherall

I was listening to Radio Australia earlier this morning on 9580 khz.
The signal was good...good enough that I'm sure it would have been
listenable on my SW7600GR using only the whip. I'm in NY.

Steve

Old July 10th 06, 01:57 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

On Mon, 10 Jul 2006 06:51:26 +0000, weatherall
wrote:

I had success receiving Radio Australia last summer in the 19 meter
band. I've been looking up their frequencies on primetimeshortwave.com
Lately I am only getting faint signals, which are even weaker than
the Voice of Russia.

Has anyone in North America had success with Radio Australia in the
past few months? I'm curious to know which times and frequencies are
successful.

Typically I use a Sony ICF SW7600GR or Eton E5 with just the builtin
antenna. Grounding hasn't helped much - the signal just seems too
weak. I'm in an apartment and I don't have the option for a lengthy
outdoor antenna. I have a DE31 loop antenna that doesn't really help.

9580 relatively weak on the W. coast N. Am.

S-8 w/preamp, moderate noise

R8B 50' random wire

1257 10July

Old July 10th 06, 01:59 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

On Mon, 10 Jul 2006 08:00:52 -0400, dxAce

at 11:45 UTC, Picking it up here on 9.580 (using an external antenna )

but am able to pick it up On The Whip with my Degen DE1105

Signal strong but full of static due to Air Conditioners . ..

Radio New Zealand has been absent the last few nights

Radio New Zealand coming in well here on 9870 at 1200.

dxAce
Michigan
USA

Kiwi bird, S-7 1258

Old July 10th 06, 02:18 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

weatherall wrote:
I had success receiving Radio Australia last summer in the 19 meter
band. I've been looking up their frequencies on primetimeshortwave.com
. Lately I am only getting faint signals, which are even weaker than
the Voice of Russia.

Has anyone in North America had success with Radio Australia in the
past few months? I'm curious to know which times and frequencies are
successful.

Typically I use a Sony ICF SW7600GR or Eton E5 with just the builtin
antenna. Grounding hasn't helped much - the signal just seems too
weak. I'm in an apartment and I don't have the option for a lengthy
outdoor antenna. I have a DE31 loop antenna that doesn't really help.

--
weatherall

Some areas of the U.S. receive a much stronger Radio Australia signal
than others. If you are located on the west coast chances are the
signal will be much weaker than on the east coast where it can peg the
s meter on a portable.

Old July 10th 06, 04:22 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

In article ,
weatherall wrote:

I had success receiving Radio Australia last summer in the 19 meter
band. I've been looking up their frequencies on primetimeshortwave.com
Lately I am only getting faint signals, which are even weaker than
the Voice of Russia.

Your location and time of day?

Has anyone in North America had success with Radio Australia in the
past few months? I'm curious to know which times and frequencies are
successful.

UTC times

17795 from 23:00 to 02:00 About s3, but fairly low noise
15515, 15240 around 4:00 about s4-s6
9580, 9590 8:00 to 14:00 or 16:00 S9 or thereabouts, drops a bit
around 12:00
6020-5995, 7240 local morning (around 14:00) winter frequencies
this time of year they're weaker and noisier than 9590
9710 16:00-? irregular, some days good, some bad
11880 mid-morning (west coast time)

Mark Zenier

Old July 10th 06, 07:55 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

In article .com,
"John S." wrote:

weatherall wrote:
[...]

NZ and Australia are weak during the daytime and much stronger
dinnertime to middle mornings. Last night (dinnertime on) they were very
strong on the 19 meter (15Mz) band and 22 meters (13 MHz) band. Try
KHz UTC
15515 02:00 to 07:00
15240 01:00 to 07:00
13670 07:00 to 09:00

The 13630 is listed but my sometimes faulty brain thinks they are on
13670.

NZ is the same story, dinnertime to early mornings are the strongest
signals.

--
Telamon
Ventura, California
Old November 30th 06, 01:05 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave
ngu ngu is offline

I'm in an apartment in Hong Kong with a Sony ICF 7600GR tied to a few metres
of wire hanging outside the window as antenna.

Radio Australia is strong as if it is my local MW station. That's probably
because they've relays in Singapore and Taiwan. In contrast, Radio New
Zealand is noticeably weaker although it's still audible. Seems their
signal come all the way from their country with no relay halfway.

I'm very surprised that you could pick them up as far as central US.