Old July 17th 06, 09:19 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

Default American Broadcasters Ate a Cyanide Pill Long Ago

"David Eduardo" wrote in message
news

"Frank Dresser" wrote in message

"David Eduardo" wrote in message
.com...

"Brenda Ann" wrote in message

[snip]

Most people would probably blame localized interference, and again,

the
average listener doesn't know beans about engineering and won't call
the
station to complain.

Believe me, our listeners complain over everything. In Miami, WAQI

listeners
call every time the Cuban synchronized jammers change operation.

[snip]

IBOC interference sounds like the usual sort of radio hiss which

everybody
is used to, but there's a whole lot more hiss.

Were stations getting swamped with complaints about more common sources

of
noise such as from computers and TV sets?

And in LA,
sports listeners quickly complain when we do not turn HD off for live

soccer
games.

Am I missing something here? I thought "nobody" was bothered by IBOC
interference.

It is not interference. It is the delay. HD has a fallback the analog
feature, whereby if the digital signal drops out, the analog signal comes
in. This requires buffering the analog signal by 8.1 seconds to compensate
for the delay in the digital processing.

Similarly, stations turn off "indecency" delay during live sports.

This is to allow listeners with radios to listen to play by play in the
stadium. However, with the FCC announcing today a review of sports
broadcasts for indecency, stations will probably keep the indecency delay
going, eliminating the ability to have simultaneous play by play forever.

That's convienient. Today's IBOC delay is tomorrow's FCC mandated indecency
delay.

By the way, are listeners also complaining about interference from such
sources as TVs and computers?

Frank Dresser

Old July 17th 06, 09:35 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

"Frank Dresser" wrote in message

By the way, are listeners also complaining about interference from such
sources as TVs and computers?

We used to get these.

TV complaints were decades ago. Pretty much everyone learned a TV and a
radio can not sit together and play nice.

Computer stuff started generating calls in the late 80's as offices got
computerized fully, and from homes inthe early 90's. Not a lot of them, but
certainly enough to know people were noticing. Again, I think folks
understand that now.

Kalamazoo Cuckoo' ND8V GLENN B General 0 October 19th 04 03:15 AM
Kalamazoo Cuckoo' ND8V GLENN B Policy 0 October 19th 04 03:15 AM
Once upon a time in America there came to be a giant of an organization called the American Radio Relay League (ARRL). KC8QJP General 3 October 11th 04 10:44 AM
Once upon a time in America there came to be a giant of an organization called the American Radio Relay League (ARRL). KC8QJP Policy 3 October 11th 04 10:44 AM