Old March 7th 06, 08:12 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.boatanchors
Paul P

Default FYI - positive crystal vendor experience "plug"

I had the occasion today to look for a 38.660 Mhz crystal for a Hamarlund
HX50. So I called ICM http://www.icmfg.com/contact.html and pushed "0" to
get around the button madness. A "receptionist" answered and I asked for
help in ordering a proper crystal. The conversation went something like
this:

She questioned me at to what it was for. I said an oscillator.

This receptionist began to ask deeper and deeper questions. Until I told
her it was for a Hammarlund HX50 Heterodyne oscillator.

She said, "Let me see.....what frequency do you need?"

"38.660 MHz"

"MMmm that is a third harmonic......", "Yes we have that Hammarlund HX-50
crystal. It is a third harmonic and is $19.95 and can ship on March 28th."

"You don't sound like a receptionist to me. "

"We dont have one. I am in sales........25 years........."

They apparently handle and welcome armature radio crystal orders. I could
have sent the engineering department an oscillator circuit (but they already
had the HX-50 documentation and many more) so they could help select a
proper crystal.

Now I am no crystal oscillator expert. So I greatly appreciate this
companies friendly help! If this crystal restores the output of the
heterodyne oscillator to its former frequency and amplitude I will be
ordering more.

If you call ask for Barbara ex249 and mention you saw this. No, I get no
remuneration of any kind. This was just a very welcome and timely
experience!!

Paul
kb3lzp
I have no fiscal interest in this company. Only a 20 buck debt so far and
the wife asking how much did you put on the card now?

Old March 7th 06, 09:14 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.boatanchors
gb

"Paul P" wrote in message
[...]

Paul -

This is the normal positive experience that I have always had with ICM. I
talked to Barb a couple of moths ago for an order of several crystals.
I made a mistake on one (transposed the numbers) I quoted over the
telephone.
I sent an e-mail that evening (during holidays) ...
crystals arrived on time -- and were all correct (they handled the
correction - no problem)

This is a perfect example of qualified and well trained personnel --
tell me you get that from other US companies? -- it is "old school" and rare
these days -- but the best companies know the value -- and smart customers
know that you may pay a bit more for it - but are happy with it - and return
for business !

w9gb

Old March 7th 06, 09:29 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.boatanchors
Uncle Peter

"Paul P" wrote in message
I had the occasion today to look for a 38.660 Mhz crystal for a Hamarlund
HX50. So I called ICM http://www.icmfg.com/contact.html and pushed "0" to
get around the button madness. A "receptionist" answered and I asked for
help in ordering a proper crystal. The conversation went something like

I've dealt with ICM since I started playing with FM and repeaters back in
the mid 60s. They've always gone the extra mile, and they deliver a quality
product. I remember when they sold small module kits for hobbyists and
hams--oscillators, mixers, RFA boards... I hope they are around for the
next 40 years. Good, friendly companies are hard to find, and they always
treated small customers with respect.

Pete k1zjh

Old March 8th 06, 03:31 AM posted to rec.radio.amateur.boatanchors
Irv Finkleman

Paul P wrote:

I had the occasion today to look for a.....

I've had nothing but great service from them for over 40 years! I don't
even think about going elsewhere for a crystal.

Irv - VE6BP
--
--------------------------------------
Diagnosed Type II Diabetes March 5 2001
Old March 8th 06, 01:15 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.boatanchors
Dale Parfitt

"Irv Finkleman" wrote in message
Paul P wrote:

I had the occasion today to look for a.....

I've had nothing but great service from them for over 40 years! I don't
even think about going elsewhere for a crystal.

Irv - VE6BP
--

I recently had the experience of seeing their early satellite reeiver
facility in Piedmont OK- piles of prototype TVRO receivers- real step into

Dale W4OP

Crystal VCO Apparatus Homebrew 10 November 30th 05 10:22 PM
Crystal VCO Apparatus Homebrew 1 November 28th 05 10:39 AM
Pulling crystal Apparatus Homebrew 6 November 6th 05 08:19 AM
Drake TR-3 transceiver synthesizer upgrade Gene Gardner Homebrew 2 January 15th 04 02:17 AM
Drake TR-3 transceiver synthesizer upgrade Gene Gardner Homebrew 0 January 13th 04 05:28 PM