Old March 12th 06, 01:17 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.boatanchors
Joe McElvenney

Default WWII FT243 Crystal Manufacturers

Hi,

Yesterday I bought a 'BOX BX-49-A' (coil/crystal set for the
BC-611 walkie-talkie) with a view to starting a crystal
collection. It contained 24 FT243 rocks from eight different WWII
manufacturers. Just to get an idea of the task ahead, has anyone
compiled a list of these manufacturers from that period?

The few I have so far are marked -

Univ K.C. Telev M.O.
Valpey Crystal
Turner Company, Cedar Rapids
Scientific Radio Prod.
RS MC
Camb Thermionic, Camb Mass
Gentleman Products, Omaha
H.I. Inc
Stand. Piezo
M.P. CO.

TIA - Joe (G3LLV)
Old March 12th 06, 02:34 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.boatanchors
Dave Heil

Joe McElvenney wrote:
Hi,

Yesterday I bought a 'BOX BX-49-A' (coil/crystal set for the
BC-611 walkie-talkie) with a view to starting a crystal
collection. It contained 24 FT243 rocks from eight different WWII
manufacturers. Just to get an idea of the task ahead, has anyone
compiled a list of these manufacturers from that period?

The few I have so far are marked -

Univ K.C. Telev M.O.
Valpey Crystal
Turner Company, Cedar Rapids
Scientific Radio Prod.
RS MC
Camb Thermionic, Camb Mass
Gentleman Products, Omaha
H.I. Inc
Stand. Piezo
M.P. CO.

Joe, you may add Tedford Crystals (later R/T Labs), Cincinnati, Ohio.

Dave Heil K8MN
Old March 12th 06, 03:46 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.boatanchors

Joe, you may add Tedford Crystals (later R/T Labs), Cincinnati, Ohio.

There was even a crystal manufacturer in Griffin, Georgia!

I'd hate to think how many there must have been at one time.

Old March 12th 06, 05:01 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.boatanchors
Bill Janssen

Joe McElvenney wrote:

Hi,

Yesterday I bought a 'BOX BX-49-A' (coil/crystal set for the
BC-611 walkie-talkie) with a view to starting a crystal
collection. It contained 24 FT243 rocks from eight different WWII
manufacturers. Just to get an idea of the task ahead, has anyone
compiled a list of these manufacturers from that period?

The few I have so far are marked -

Univ K.C. Telev M.O.
Valpey Crystal
Turner Company, Cedar Rapids
Scientific Radio Prod.
RS MC
Camb Thermionic, Camb Mass
Gentleman Products, Omaha
H.I. Inc
Stand. Piezo
M.P. CO.

TIA - Joe (G3LLV)

The US Navy had a crystal grinding shop in the Navy Yard in Washington
D.C. I
don't know how they were marked when shipped to the fleet. It was in
operation
in 1948 that I know of.

Bill K7NOM
Old March 12th 06, 07:59 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.boatanchors
Joe McElvenney

Hi,

Yesterday I bought a 'BOX BX-49-A' (coil/crystal set for the
BC-611 walkie-talkie) with a view to starting a crystal
collection. It contained 24 FT243 rocks from eight different WWII
manufacturers. Just to get an idea of the task ahead, has anyone
compiled a list of these manufacturers from that period?

Thank you to the individuals who have added to my list but, as
the following document shows, there were at least 130 companies
'grinding away' back in 1943. It would seem that anyone who had a
garage and a drill press could get into the game.

http://www.ieee-uffc.org/fc_history/bottom.html

73 de Joe G3LLV

Old March 15th 06, 10:11 AM posted to rec.radio.amateur.boatanchors
Joe McElvenney

On Tue, 14 Mar 2006 12:26:19 GMT, "Paul P"
wrote:

Paul,

Thanks, that helps a lot.

Cheers - Joe G3LLV

Old March 21st 06, 12:08 AM posted to rec.radio.amateur.boatanchors
Steve Nosko

Don't forget PR. The recent QST has a short on them being still in
business..
I'll have to go check my pile...
73, Steve, K9DCI

"Joe McElvenney" wrote in message
Hi,

Yesterday I bought a 'BOX BX-49-A' (coil/crystal set for the
BC-611 walkie-talkie) with a view to starting a crystal
collection. It contained 24 FT243 rocks from eight different WWII
manufacturers. Just to get an idea of the task ahead, has anyone
compiled a list of these manufacturers from that period?

The few I have so far are marked -

Univ K.C. Telev M.O.
Valpey Crystal
Turner Company, Cedar Rapids
Scientific Radio Prod.
RS MC
Camb Thermionic, Camb Mass
Gentleman Products, Omaha
H.I. Inc
Stand. Piezo
M.P. CO.

TIA - Joe (G3LLV)

FYI - positive crystal vendor experience "plug" Paul P Boatanchors 4 March 8th 06 01:15 PM
Pulling crystal Apparatus Homebrew 6 November 6th 05 08:19 AM
Special Events Station, WWII Equipment, April 15-17th David Stinson Boatanchors 0 April 15th 05 02:12 PM
Drake TR-3 transceiver synthesizer upgrade Gene Gardner Homebrew 2 January 15th 04 02:17 AM
Drake TR-3 transceiver synthesizer upgrade Gene Gardner Homebrew 0 January 13th 04 05:28 PM