Old October 19th 06, 12:42 AM posted to rec.radio.amateur.boatanchors,rec.radio.amateur.homebrew,rec.radio.amateur.policy,rec.radio.swap

Default Question for the group. Mainly new hams.

"Chuck Harris" wrote in message
Slow Code wrote:

Even 34 years ago, there were study guides that had questions from the
pool used by the FCC. If you could memorize the answers to those
questions, you were virtually assured of passing. I used the ARRL
handbook as my guide.

You didn't answer my questions about the home brew rig you are using.

-Chuck

Construction projects you or I have done aren't important. Working to
insure ham radio doesn't turn into CB is important. Agreed?

Oh, I agree, but if you do too, then I have trouble understanding why
you are ragging on folks that are using store bought radios.

Slow Mind does not know that a Real Ham only uses a radio he built
himself. A Real Ham would not use one of those crappy store-bought
things.

-Chuck

Old October 19th 06, 01:12 AM posted to rec.radio.amateur.boatanchors,rec.radio.amateur.homebrew,rec.radio.amateur.policy,rec.radio.swap

Default Please do not fed the trolls (was: Question for the group. Mainly new hams.)

William Warren wrote in
t:

Slow Code wrote:
What do you like best about appliance operating?

SC

+-------------------+ .:\:\:/:/:.
+-------------------+ / \
| | @@@ / /|,,,,,|\ \
| | @@@ /_// /^\ \\_\
@x@@x@ | | |/ WW( ( ) )WW
\||||/ | | \| __\,,\ /,,/__
\||/ | | | jgs (______Y______)
/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\//\/\\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\

ATTENTION USENET VISITORS, THIS AREA HAS BEEN
DECLARED A TROLL WILDLIFE REFUGE. TO LEARN ABOUT
THE TROLL, ITS HABITAT, AND ITS WAY OF LIFE, PLEASE
READ THE SIGN-POST BELOW. IF YOU WOULD LIKE TO LEARN
MORE ABOUT THE TROLL, YOU CAN PICK UP BOOKS AND
SOUVENIRS IN THE GIFT SHOP AT THE END OF THE TOUR.
THANK YOU IN ADVANCE FOR OBSERVING ALL TROLL WILDLIFE
REFUGE RULES, HAVE A NICE DAY.

| Common name: Woodland Troll |
| Scientific name: Trollus Useneticus |

################################################## ##########
# #
# PHYSICAL CHARACTERISTICS: #
# #
# The common woodland troll (Trollus Useneticus) is an #
# approximately 1.7m long nocturnal furry creature that #
# has been found to exist in nearly every climate and #
# latitude. Predominant features include: a very pale #
# complexion, a large bony ridge above the eyes, a dense #
# cranium, dragging knuckles, and a pungent odor. #
# #
################################################## ##########

################################################## ##########
# #
# HABITAT: #
# #
# Most trolls spend the daylight hours under a large rock #
# sleeping. Unfortunately, the natural habitat of the #
# troll has been encroached by development (as is all too #
# common these days). The modern troll has to make due #
# with a slimy, moss covered rock. Often, trolls are #
# forced to endure poor sanitation and filthy living #
# conditions. Combined with the general lack of hygiene #
# among trolls, this results in a very unpleasant odor. #
# #
################################################## ##########

################################################## ##########
# #
# ACTIVITIES AND DIET: #
# #
# During their active period at night, the common troll #
# engages in numerous activities, though the most #
# important of these is foraging for food. The one #
# characteristic that ties all different troll species #
# and sub-species together is their diet. Trolls #
# invariably survive off of a combination of cheetos, #
# arguments, and annoying others. A typical troll #
# requires approximately 10 arguments and flames per day #
# just to stay alive. With the increasing use of #
# killfiles and just regular ignoring of trolls, it has #
# become more and more difficult for trolls to eke out a #
# basic sustenance. #
# #
################################################## ##########

################################################## ##########
# #
# KNOWN PREDATORS: #
# #
# Unfortunately, trolls have many predators. Most common #
# among them are the helpful researcher, the informative #
# poster, the cool headed responder, and the kill-filer. #
# The cool header responder is technically not a troll #
# predator however. Trolls are typically unfazed by #
# logical counter arguments and cool headed reason. #
# However, even though their posts do not deliver the #
# same level of sustenance that a "flamer" or an "annoyed #
# poster" may provide, they still provide a valuable #
# source of dietary fiber for the troll. #
# #
# The most dangerous predators for the trolls are the #
# helpful researcher, the informative poster, and the #
# kill-filer. The common troll is highly allergic to #
# fact, real data, and research. Upon skin contact with #
# actual hard evidence and real data, the troll will #
# experience intense itching and burning at the site of #
# contact, followed by lesions and blisters. Eventually, #
# this results in loss of skin near the area of contact, #
# and usually to loss of a limb (in the example of #
# contact near the arm or leg). Contact with facts and #
# data near the facial area usually results in a slow #
# painful death. Contact with extremely high doses of #
# fact and hard data can cause temporary loss of #
# consciousness and even permanent brain damage for the #
# troll. #
# #
# The kill-filer poses a much more insidious threat to #
# the troll. Not posing a direct threat to the troll per #
# se, the kill-filer simply deprives the troll of yet #
# another source of nourishment. Some trolls have #
# developed counter measures to thwart the kill-filers, #
# usually this takes the form of a type of camoflage. #
# #
# The trolls' predators have reaped a terrible slaughter #
# over the years, resulting in the death of great hordes #
# of trolls. Trolls continue to breed rapidly though and #
# their population is stable. However, it is unknown how #
# long this situation can persist. Eventually, natural #
# predators and poachers may result in lower numbers of #
# trolls. Already we are seeing lower diversity among #
# the different troll species. That is why this troll #
# habitat refuge exists, to ensure the preservation of #
# the troll for not only our future, but the future of #
# our children. #
# #
################################################## ##########

/ This troll habitat refuge has been paid for in part by /
/ the anti Troll-Defamation League, the International /
/ Society for the Advancement of Trolls, and the Troll /
/ Habitat Preservation Alliance. /

Old October 19th 06, 01:12 AM posted to rec.radio.amateur.boatanchors,rec.radio.amateur.homebrew,rec.radio.amateur.policy,rec.radio.swap

"U-Know-Who" wrote in
:

"Slow Code" wrote in message
link.net...
Chuck Harris wrote in
:

Slow Code wrote:
Chuck Harris wrote in

While you are being all holier than thou, what did you design and
build for your main rig? I'm hoping to be impressed, but expecting
to be disappointed.

Did the code help you with the design?

I took my Advanced class test down at 1919 M street 36 years ago. I
had to sit at the desk and copy one solid minute out of five error
free at 13WPM. I passed it on the first try. I almost failed the
sending test, as I had never spent much time doing that. I had
never made a code contact before my test, and I have only made a
couple since.

The thing about code contacts is they never seem to want to say
anything beyond:

WA3XXX DE W6XX RST 5NN WX FB 73 W6XX SK

How does that help the cause of amateur radio?

I have designed and built numerous rf receivers and transmitters,
many are employed by the US Army for various uses. I have fixed
many different radios from tube stuff through DSP driven affairs.

How exactly did the code help me to do this?

For me code was a means to an end. I wanted my license, so I
learned the code.

There were plenty of rude, profane, and generally unpleasant hams on
the air back when all had to pass the test in the offices of the
FCC. I haven't noticed that things are any worse now. About the
only real difference is in the quality of the gear folks are
running. It is much better than the crappy stuff that was on the
air back in the early 70's.

-Chuck

Are conversations on repeaters as technical as they were twenty-five
years ago?

Oh, easily. 25 years ago, technical conversations were dominated by
such earth shatteringly important stuff as having a ham down at the
repeater site helping other hams tune their transmitters to be on
frequency. Other wonderkind were hitting the repeater with a full
quieting signal, and turning their power up to try and get a better
signal to that DX mobile that breaking up.

If it wasn't that, it was an endless sea of autopatches calling the
xyl to tell her that traffic was bad, could she start dinner... or
ordering pizza.

Me? I hear no-codes and nickle extras arguing how long a half wave
dipole should be.

I heard the same things 25 years ago from Generals that got their
licenses at the offices of the FCC.

Even 34 years ago, there were study guides that had questions from the
pool used by the FCC. If you could memorize the answers to those
questions, you were virtually assured of passing. I used the ARRL
handbook as my guide.

You didn't answer my questions about the home brew rig you are using.

-Chuck

Construction projects you or I have done aren't important. Working to
insure ham radio doesn't turn into CB is important. Agreed?

SC

SC, tell us all, and don't lie. Do you not agree that a LOT of hams
today were CB'ers in the '70's and chose to advance their radio skills
by advancing to ham radio? If you disagree, then 1) you're a liar, and
2) did this not help the service? And thusly, if you disagree I suspect
you fit into this mold, and choose to deny your past.

I'm sure a lot of hams migrated from citizens band, but up until about the
last 16 years, they had to pass a real ham test to get in. Not dumbed
down tests like we have today.

SC
Old October 19th 06, 01:12 AM posted to rec.radio.amateur.boatanchors,rec.radio.amateur.homebrew,rec.radio.amateur.policy,rec.radio.swap

gwatts wrote in
:

Slow Code wrote:
gwatts wrote in
:

Slow Code wrote:

gwatts wrote in
:

Slow Code wrote:

What do you like best about appliance operating?

All the crotchety old farts are either off somewhere
beep-beep-beeping away on CW or bitching to each other on the lower
half of the 80m phone band, so it's easy to avoid them and talk to
someone who enjoys ham radio as it is instead of whining about how it
was.

Big Ten-Four on that Good Buddy.

It sounds like you run a lot of 11m, not surprising considering how
much you whine, and it's not alternator whine.

I only typed like because I knew you would understand that style of
communicating. So, after your license came in the mail what I
appliance did you decide to buy? MFJ? Alinco? Cobra?

Kenwood TS-820S. I got a good deal because it had a few bugs. I spent
some of the evenings between the exam session and my ticket arriving
(that would be my GENERAL ticket, I skipped Novice and Technician) going
through it cleaning switches, adding ground straps to a couple circuit
boards and adding 17m to the 'AUX' position on the band switch. By the
time my ticket arrived in the mail it was ready. I worked Clipperton
Island the second day I was on the air and didn't realize it was quite
the DX catch until months later.

So, after your license came in the mail what did you start weenie
whining about first?

W8LNA

I made a lot of contacts on CW. I knew it was what I had to do to be a
valuable asset to the service and I had a lot of fun communicating with
other CW ops around the world. I was always surprised at how good the
Russians were at CW. Doing CW helped me get get my skills up and I
quickly passed my 20 wpm Extra. (the real Extra)

Now I try to help other hams and potential hams on radio and on usenet,
but the usenet hams are so lazy they don't want to learn anything. They
want licensing to be dumbed down some more.

SC

Old October 20th 06, 01:59 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.boatanchors,rec.radio.amateur.homebrew,rec.radio.amateur.policy,rec.radio.swap

Slow Code wrote:

Now I try to help other hams and potential hams on radio and on usenet,

No you don't, you come here and grind your ax for some reason. You want
to help? Be positive about ham radio, all of ham radio and not just the
niche you want to inhabit. Open your eyes, see the whole hobby and
realize those that don't share your tastes are just as competent or
incompetent as you.

but the usenet hams are so lazy they don't want to learn anything. They
want licensing to be dumbed down some more.

Translation: They want to keep up with technology and eliminate testing
on methods that are plainly antiquated and waning in usefulness and I
don't want things to change so I don't lose my relative (perceived)
status among hams.

W8LNA
Old October 21st 06, 12:45 AM posted to rec.radio.amateur.boatanchors,rec.radio.amateur.homebrew,rec.radio.amateur.policy,rec.radio.swap

gwatts wrote in
:

Slow Code wrote:

Now I try to help other hams and potential hams on radio and on usenet,

No you don't, you come here and grind your ax for some reason. You want
to help? Be positive about ham radio, all of ham radio and not just the
niche you want to inhabit. Open your eyes, see the whole hobby and
realize those that don't share your tastes are just as competent or
incompetent as you.

but the usenet hams are so lazy they don't want to learn anything. They
want licensing to be dumbed down some more.

Translation: They want to keep up with technology and eliminate testing
on methods that are plainly antiquated and waning in usefulness and I
don't want things to change so I don't lose my relative (perceived)
status among hams.

W8LNA

What has everyone got against having good effective communicators?
Sheesh, I'm I the only one that wants good hams?

SC
Old October 21st 06, 01:20 AM posted to rec.radio.amateur.boatanchors,rec.radio.amateur.homebrew,rec.radio.amateur.policy,rec.radio.swap

On Fri, 20 Oct 2006 23:45:02 GMT, Slow Code wrote:

gwatts wrote in
:

Slow Code wrote:

Now I try to help other hams and potential hams on radio and on usenet,

No you don't, you come here and grind your ax for some reason. You want
to help? Be positive about ham radio, all of ham radio and not just the
niche you want to inhabit. Open your eyes, see the whole hobby and
realize those that don't share your tastes are just as competent or
incompetent as you.

but the usenet hams are so lazy they don't want to learn anything. They
want licensing to be dumbed down some more.

Translation: They want to keep up with technology and eliminate testing
on methods that are plainly antiquated and waning in usefulness and I
don't want things to change so I don't lose my relative (perceived)
status among hams.

W8LNA

What has everyone got against having good effective communicators?

no body but you is aginst effective comms
Sheesh, I'm I the only one that wants good hams?

you are one those that wants to exclude Good hams

SC

http://kb9rqz.blogspot.com/