Old November 26th 06, 03:44 AM posted to rec.radio.swap

Default George Fetter arrested for Internet and Ebay Fraud

From the Daytona Beach News-Journal
http://www.news-journalonline.com/Ne...AD03112206.htm
November 22, 2006

Ponce Inlet man charged in Internet fraud scam
By LYDA LONGA Staff Writer

A man who hawked grandfather clocks, iPods, Xbox 360s and other
electronics over the Internet but never delivered the products to
paying customers was in jail Tuesday after being picked up at his Ponce
Inlet home, police said Tuesday.

Over a three-year period, 41-year-old George W. Fetter amassed
thousands of dollars from people as far away as California for the
goods he sold on eBay and at least three Web sites he designed to sell
the merchandise, said Holly Hill police Cmdr. Mark Barker.

Now police will seek restitution via the courts for the 31 people they
say Fetter cheated out of their money.

"We also believe there could be hundreds of other victims who have not
come forward," Barker said. "We hope they call us."

The way Fetter's scam worked was simple: He would advertise everything
from grandfather clocks to video games on his own Web sites using his
real name, as well as the alias David Brown, Barker said. The suspect,
who kept computers and records at a storefront at 1615 Ridgewood Ave.
in Holly Hill, also advertised on eBay.

For victims Kenneth Graham of Berlin, Conn., and Gary Smith of
Plainview, N.Y., the chance to snag a hard-to-get Xbox 360 at half the
retail price was too good of an opportunity to pass up.

Both men contacted Fetter via the Internet and sent him money earlier
this year, a police report shows.

"He even sent me a confirmation letter," Graham said of his $200
transaction with Fetter. "When I didn't receive my merchandise, I
called the Better Business Bureau and Holly Hill police."

Ditto for Smith, who wanted to buy the computer gaming console for his
son.

"He sent me several e-mails telling me the Xbox was coming, but it
never did," Smith said. "I waited a good month and a half. It was for
about $200."

Barker said Holly Hill investigators obtained a warrant for Fetter on
Monday afternoon, capping a nine-month investigation in conjunction
with the U.S. Secret Service and the National White Collar Crime
Center. He was nabbed at his residence on Jennifer Circle in Ponce
Inlet and is being held on $100,000 bail at the Volusia County Branch
Jail.

Anyone who believes they may have been victimized by Fetter is asked to
call Holly Hill police at (386) 248-9475.

Some other links:
http://www.wesh.com/news/10373344/detail.html
http://www.local6.com/news/10374177/detail.html
http://www.wftv.com/news/10367495/detail.html