Old June 8th 08, 03:58 AM posted to rec.radio.swap

Default WTB: HF Antenna for 5th Wheel RV

Have a Fiberglass roof 5th Wheel RV, and am looking for an HF Antenna
to use on it. Suggestions on installing a plus.
Thanks & 73
Old June 8th 08, 05:46 AM posted to rec.radio.swap

Have a Fiberglass roof 5th Wheel RV, and am looking for an HF Antenna
to use on it. Suggestions on installing a plus.
Thanks & 73

Assuming it has a ladder on the back, that would be a good
starting point. Personally, I recommend, ( for fixed operation only ),
a nice tall vertical antenna mounted on the ladder, bond the ladder well
to the RV chassis underneath with braid, and perhaps feed the vertical
with a nice auto tuner such as Icom AH-4, or SGC-237.

I have a 23 foot vertical made up of 6' sections of telescoping
aluminum tubing that I put up on our back roof ladder when camping in
our Class C motorhome. It is base loaded with a nice Hi Q home brew
coil and works extremely well on 80 / 60/ 40M.

For those who have more money than sense, I've seen a nice marine
antenna, ( Shakespeare Model 390 or 393 ) do the same thing as my
cheaper aluminum homebrew. They work well and look nicer. Perfect to
feed with an auto-tuner at the base.

Ed K7AAT
Old June 8th 08, 05:50 PM posted to rec.radio.swap
You You is offline

In article ,
GassMan wrote:

Have a Fiberglass roof 5th Wheel RV, and am looking for an HF Antenna
to use on it. Suggestions on installing a plus.
Thanks & 73

Buy and Autotuner, Ground it to the RV Frame, go to Costco and buy
a 10# Party Balloon Helium Tank, and some Balloons, and get yourself
a spool of #24 wire. Reel out 200 ft of wire, connect one end to the
Tuner Output and the other end to the balloon, let the wire feed up
inside a piece of 1/2" PVC Pipe, fixed to the Ladder on the back of the
RV, and let the balloon FLY. It will out preform ANY Vertical of any
size, even in a mild breeze.

2m Big Wheel Plans - Again Tom Ring Antenna 4 January 11th 07 03:10 AM
Big Wheel plans Tom Ring Antenna 19 December 10th 06 01:43 AM
Co-phasing Wheel Antenna Matt Antenna 3 May 28th 05 01:27 PM
Wheel Antenna Plans Matt Antenna 1 December 5th 04 04:57 AM
Wheel-mouse tuning? Dave Strasz Equipment 0 December 27th 03 03:29 PM