Old June 24th 03, 07:03 PM
Gary

Default FRAUD ALERT for Dale Kight NH6VR

This is a friendly reminder that Dale Kight, NH6VR is again
fraudulently posting ads that state he has equipment for sale. Upon
receiving payment, he then dissapears. This has just happened to me
after he posted some equipment for sale through the FT817 yahoo group.
Seems he is repeating his history of three years ago. I have been
collecting a fair ammount of information about and evidence against
Dale to use in court. If anyone else hears of his renewed activity,
please let me know. Wish I had known of this two weeks ago...

He has historically used the following e-mail addresses:
(current)

You can easily find his spam through searches of Google groups.

He operates a repeater by said call in Maui, Hawaii.

He owns a store called "Treasure Island" two blocks from his residence
in Maui.

He also has a record with the US Postal Inspection Service documenting
past mail fruad claims.

Court documents relating to restraining orders and garnished wages
against him can be found at the Hawaii State Judiciary website at
http://www.courts.state.hi.us/index.jsp and by searching for "Dale
Kight".

So, let this serve as a warning to steer clear of Mr. Kight unless you
too want to become engaged in legal claims against him.

-Gary, N4TXI
Old June 26th 03, 11:52 AM
Paul Vanasse

"K5JOE" wrote in message
y.com...
I am seeing more and more Scams on the internet swap pages these days.
I thought I had checked out the last guy that I was buying a rig from
enough to send him or her a US Postal Money Order .. but I did not
check far enough.

If you want to see scams, you dont have to look too far. Ebay is riddled
with them.

73 de Paul

AR

Old June 26th 03, 09:23 PM
Allodoxaphobia

On Thu, 26 Jun 2003 11:02:55 GMT, kf4tun hath writ:

"Gary" wrote in message
om...
This is a friendly reminder that Dale Kight, NH6VR is again
fraudulently posting ads that state he has equipment for sale. Upon
receiving payment, he then dissapears. This has just happened to me
after he posted some equipment for sale through the FT817 yahoo group.
Seems he is repeating his history of three years ago. I have been
collecting a fair ammount of information about and evidence against
Dale to use in court. If anyone else hears of his renewed activity,
please let me know. Wish I had known of this two weeks ago...

He has historically used the following e-mail addresses:
(current)

Heck, by didn't you publish the complete information on him, it's in the
plublic domain.
Here it is:
KIGHT, DALE R, NH6VR (General)
222 PAPALAUA 218
PO BOX 183
LAHAINA, HI 96767
Previous call sign: WA5RER
Licensee ID: L00253308
FRN: 0003111051
Issue Date: Sep 08, 2000
Expire Date: Jan 02, 2010
Date of last Change: Sep 13, 2000 (Administrative Update Applied)

You can easily find his spam through searches of Google groups.
He operates a repeater by said call in Maui, Hawaii.
He owns a store called "Treasure Island" two blocks from his residence
in Maui.
He also has a record with the US Postal Inspection Service documenting
past mail fruad claims.

Court documents relating to restraining orders and garnished wages
against him can be found at the Hawaii State Judiciary website at
http://www.courts.state.hi.us/index.jsp and by searching for "Dale
Kight".

So, let this serve as a warning to steer clear of Mr. Kight unless you
too want to become engaged in legal claims against him.

-Gary, N4TXI

Might help someone that comes across items he has for sale. Will also let
his friends and the other folk who deal with him of your experience in
dealing with him.

Jim, kf4tun

And, it'll be in "deja-news" *forever*. HI!HI!

Jonesy
Old June 27th 03, 03:00 PM
Robert Hawk

On Thu, 26 Jun 2003 10:52:02 GMT, "Paul Vanasse"
wrote:

"K5JOE" wrote in message
gy.com...
I am seeing more and more Scams on the internet swap pages these days.
I thought I had checked out the last guy that I was buying a rig from
enough to send him or her a US Postal Money Order .. but I did not
check far enough.

If you want to see scams, you dont have to look too far. Ebay is riddled
with them.

73 de Paul

AR

Ebay IS a breeding ground for scams, In My Opinion...

Bob
Old June 27th 03, 03:30 PM
Alan Beagley

I don't doubt that many fraudsters hang out on ebay, but I have done OK
so far. I usually check the seller's feedback rating before bidding, but
on the one occasion I forgot and discovered later that the seller had a
Zero rating (i.e., this was his first offering on ebay -- or the first
using that ID), everything was fine.

The closest I came to getting burned was on a $500 item, but the
seller's local police dept. got in touch with me before I had gotten
round to starting any serious investigation of my own; I got all my
money back. Even then, it may have been stupidity rather than criminal
intent on the seller's part: he offered for sale items that he did not
yet have in stock, and then found that he could not get them.

-=-
Alan AB2OS

On 06/27/03 10:00 am Robert Hawk put fingers to keyboard and launched
the following message into cyberspace:

Old June 27th 03, 03:43 PM
Walt

Hi,

No more of a breeding ground then the local hamfests, swap meets or local
newpapers
qth.com, eham.net arrl.org etc...

If I get taken at the local hamfest, you will never know about it, on Ebay
everyone hears
about a scam from the usenet.

It is easy to get caught up in auction 'excitement' and the thrill of
'winning'
we have to remember it is a purchase (or sale) just like buying a car or
ordering dinner out.

Feedback is the key, I have dealt with many new ebayers, even I was a new
ebay guy.
my first deal was a purchase for $ 400 from an established seller with 100 %
feedbacks.

Just ask a lot of questions on the items you want to buy, if you don't like
the answers, just pass it up.

Nice thing, if the item is not sold it can be relisted and you can get
another chance or
another seller will have what you want.

Did I tell you about the time that used car dealer sold me that car that was
driven by his mother ?

73 walt

Old June 28th 03, 01:26 AM
Gary

(Gary) wrote in message . com...
[...]

UPDATE

Guys, it seems I may be eating crow, but after two weeks I have
received my radio. Let it be known right now that nobody is more
shocked than I. While this situation does have a happy ending, heed
these warnings which are good for both buyers and sellers, which I
have learned (and should have noticed):

1) Always search someone's history before engaging in a transaction.
I'm net-savy, and even I didn't think to do this. What was I
thinking? A five minute search would have saved me many sleepless
nights.

2) Moneygrams just feel "seedy". At least I didn't send a moneygram,
but given that I was asked to send it in the name of a "rush account",
it should have screamed to me "this will be difficult, if not
impossible, to trace!"

3) Money orders do -not- protect the buyer. You can file a claim with
the postal inspection service, but unless you lost thousands, your
claim will sit in a file.

4) Be weary when addresses you're told don't match what's listed on
QRZ.com, or other online references.

5) "Recall of Mail" forms are not guaranteed to work. This is a form
you can fill out at the post office in hopes of having mail you sent
returned to you.

6) Getting your money from someone is expensive, if not prohibitive,
to do on your own. Had I wanted to pursue Dale, I would have had to
hire a lawyer and fly to Hawaii to go to court.

I'm sure there are other lessons as well that will sink in as time
goes by. But even though my situation worked out, I look back and see
many, many signs that should have kept me from sending any money in
the first place. I was stupid (some will say I still am, just not
quite as much)

For now, I'm glad the nightmare is over. -Gary

ps. if anyone has questions or comments regarding my situation, feel
free to e-mail me directly in addition to the group, as I don't always
hit the newsgroups often.
Old June 28th 03, 01:47 AM
Brenda Ann

"Gary" wrote in message
om...
UPDATE

Guys, it seems I may be eating crow, but after two weeks I have
received my radio. Let it be known right now that nobody is more
shocked than I. While this situation does have a happy ending, heed
these warnings which are good for both buyers and sellers, which I
have learned (and should have noticed):

Two weeks??? How did you have it sent? USPS and UPS ground could very
easily take that long from HI to the mainland. I've seen UPS ground take
7-8 days from Oklahoma to Washington..

Old June 28th 03, 02:27 AM
Thinker

"Robert Hawk" wrote in message
On Thu, 26 Jun 2003 10:52:02 GMT, "Paul Vanasse"
wrote:

"K5JOE" wrote in message
gy.com...
I am seeing more and more Scams on the internet swap pages these days.
I thought I had checked out the last guy that I was buying a rig from
enough to send him or her a US Postal Money Order .. but I did not
check far enough.

If you want to see scams, you dont have to look too far. Ebay is riddled
with them.

73 de Paul

AR

Ebay IS a breeding ground for scams, In My Opinion...

Bob

Paypal is the fertilizer used by scammers.

Old June 28th 03, 02:34 AM
radioranch

Still a fruad alert listed in two weeks or so is probably jumping the
gun...Ground from Hawaii can easily take two weeks..If I were Dale, Id
be coming to see you. I may come to see you anyway for all this damn
rediculous posting !! Hi Hi...hope that crow doesnt have West Nile.