Old August 3rd 03, 01:30 PM
harry

Default aea packratt 232 mbx and aprs

Hi Folks:
I've just put together my old pk232 to a GPS receiver.
Sometimes, actually most times, after a while of running, the MULT LED
blinks. The manual says this means a buffer overload. I'm not sure,
when this happens, if the TNC initiallized to GPS (GPSAuto ON) when I
turned it on. I think it's not working when this happens.
I think when I first turn on the TNC and GPS, before the GPS
sees all the satellites, it's spitting out a shorter series of
sentences.. The TNC seems to recognize this, and lock on to the
sentence $GPRMC (?) faster. After a few minutes, all the satellite
data is transmitted along with the position. If I shut the TNC down,
the GPS is still synced to the birds. I'm thinking, the TNC can't
pull $GPRMC out of this mess, and isn't gong into GPS mode. Or, maybe
doesn't have time to with all the data coming in.
I was also wondering if the TNC can still RX from the radio and
give packets to an APRS program, like APRS+SA, while in GPS mode. I
haven't played with the cable yet, or switches, to allow both to
happen if it could. I'm using a MAC and MACAprs which doesn't support
HSP.
Thanks!
Harry KB2MEN