Old September 16th 03, 02:13 PM
MD

Default echolink 132,000 users in 139 different countries

"g3zhi" wrote in message
There are now over 132,000 callsigns registered in 139 different

countries.

There are daily additions, changes and deletions with over 1,000 new calls

validated each week.

We might as well kiss our frequency allocations goodbye.
If we don't use them, were going to lose them.

Old September 16th 03, 03:07 PM
Ric

Are you confused... echolink is a voice over ip program which has over the
air links users as well as computer users just the same. why is it so hard
for olders hams to accept change
"MD" wrote in message
.. .

Old September 16th 03, 04:45 PM
MD

"Ric" wrote in message
Are you confused... echolink is a voice over ip program which has over the
air links users as well as computer users just the same.

Just another way of saying "Internet Chat Program for Hams"

why is it so hard for olders hams to accept change

I guess my kids were right...39 is old!

Old September 16th 03, 04:53 PM
MD

"Ric" wrote in message
Are you confused... echolink is a voice over ip program which has over the
air links users as well as computer users just the same. why is it so hard
for olders hams to accept change

Ric,

This same arguement has been going on with our local hams for quite some
time. My personal opinion, and my opinion only is this. I got into radio
for the fascination of being able to speak into a microphone and someone
halfway around the world answering me. To me slapping on a headset and
hitting the space bar when I want to talk just doesn't seem like radio. I
live in a very restricted antenna neighbourhood but I will not let echolink
take the place of my ham radio enjoyment. For those who have no choice, it
may be the only way for them to enjoy the hobby. If more hams jump on the
Echolink bandwagon and use the internet to communicate than the airwaves, my
feeling is it will only spell disaster for the ham fraternity.

Now if Kenwood could cleverly disquise a computer as a small tabletop radio,
and Heil made a headset to match, heck I might even be fooled into thinking
it was radio.

73, de VE3TMT

Old September 16th 03, 07:28 PM
Larry

It's very interesting to see the emotion instead of solid logic. Ham radio
has several elements which draw people. One is the technical side of the
hobby and another is the talking side. Japan and their rice box radios has
brought to the surface the talking side. If you listen, you'll hear tons of
QSO and people just talking their heads off. It really doesn't matter much
if it is on a rice box or on a computer for those people .. yet you hear the
emotional responses about saving the bands etc .. YUK!

I live in a close neighborhood where 200 watts gets into telephones and
computer speakers and still some TV's and I gotta hang antennas everywhere
and make my house look like it's caught in a spider web. Now there BPL and
solar flare issues and the bands are terrible .. they suck. There's deed
restrictions, lawyers, PRB1, the ARRL the FCC. I can't talk 10 miles from
here on 75!

Then there Echolink. It won't do much for the technical side but unless you
have used it a few times you couldn't possibly understand how nice it is to
sit back, relax, and talk to your buddies without the jerks throwing
carriers and hog calls and pork butt songs, static crashes, dead bands,
contests, no antennas, no QRMers, no RFI ,, just hours of pleasant chatting
with hams all over the world. I have met so many nice guys and had a lot of
fun with the LINK and to those who want to fight it .. go ahead. When all
you can get from your radio is buzz pop click and your neighbor standing on
your doorstep screaming for you to get off the radio .. feed your computer
sound card with a D104 and give Echolink a try.

I love ham radio but Echolink is a nice supplement.

"MD" wrote in message
.. .

Old September 16th 03, 08:27 PM
MD

feed your computer
sound card with a D104 and give Echolink a try.

Actually I fed it with my studio mic and Behringer audio setup and it
sounded quite good. Only a matter of time before the complaining starts
about the wide-band audio on Echolink. Wouldn't you rather listen to those
audio-cramped headset mics?

Old September 16th 03, 08:53 PM
Its Me Again !

Larry You took the words right out of my mouth and many others who are ham
radio operators.People don't want to see changes,but it has to happen.
I for one don't like to pay hundreds of dollars to buy antennas that look
like crap on your house or property.Some monstrosities that look like ****
in plain english,that break or are blown down in some storms.Now you got to
kick out more money so you can talk to someone.I think antennas are over
priced for what they are.
Now talk about buying some radios.hundreds or thousands of dollars so you
can or maybe can talk to someone (or yell so they can hear you)just to outdo
the Jones.
Whit a half decent computer and sound card and mike,I can talk anywhere most
hams do and yet farther with no antenna farm ,amp, or radio if I want to.And
also consistantly on a daily basis.Computers are cheaper today than most
antennas.
I love ham radio also,My wife is a ham also.
Ecolink is here to stay.Try it,you may like it.
My two and a half cents worth.
"Larry" wrote in message
[...]

"MD" wrote in message
.. .

Old September 16th 03, 10:00 PM
James Nipper

Exactly what does echolink and the internet have to do with ham radio ?

Yes, most of the users of echolink may be hams, but they are using the
internet to communicate, not ham radio. I am sure that is fun to some
folks, but it is far removed from ham radio !!

As I type this message, I am using the internet. Many hams will see this
message. But I AIN'T Hamming !!!!!!!!

Just my opinion............. no flames please !!

73 de Jim K4PYT

Old September 16th 03, 10:25 PM

Just curious, why the hard sell on echolink?

Dale, K9VUJ

Old September 17th 03, 12:14 AM
Paul Vanasse

"Ric" wrote in message
Are you confused... echolink is a voice over ip program which has over the
air links users as well as computer users just the same. why is it so hard
for olders hams to accept change

Perhaps because the Echolink system has absolutely NOTHING to do with radio
propagation. I guess the next thing you'll be stating is that using the
telephone also qualifies as a category under the radio hobby.

Sorry, not this boy. You can take your Echolink system and put it right on
the shelf next to the CB radio.