Old October 19th 03, 01:09 AM
radiok3pi

Sting,

The CCRadio is a toy compared to the 909, especially with the mods.
You need to find an unmodded 909 to borrow so you can compare the
tuning anti-chuff mod - WOW what a difference.

Yeah, you will need a 2010 - so add it to your list. Also a
Panasoninc RF-2200. The synch detector of the 2010 is amazing. For
pure analog pleasure, it's gonna be hard to beat the RF-2200...and
that gyro antenna is primo. You may also want a Sangean 803A, Grundig
Sat. 700, GE Superadios (I, II and III)......

Okay, you owe us a detailed review on that Justice Antenna. There has
been precious little written about it...so give us the scoop when you
get it.
If you are into MW DXing, you might also consider an Edek loop.

You can read about it here. It is the first review listed under
Accessories.

http://www.radiointel.com/reviews.htm

Soon you'll be like the rest of us - 2 or 3 radios in every room.
Radios with specialized use. Backups in case the one you have fails,
etc etc etc. No cure known to mankind.

You can get around those covenants especially for listening antennas.
You can get wire that is pretty thin that is basically invisible. Run
it under the eaves, etc. Along side a tree. All kinds of
possibilities.

Good Luck and most of all HAVE FUN

73 Russ K3Pi

"Stinger" wrote in message ...
Thanks, Russ.

I'm really looking forward to the arrival of the ATS-909.

I really agonized over which radio to buy, and though the Sony 7600 series
is more sensitive off the whip antenna, the thing that bugged me about them
was the lack of a tuning knob. I also prefer a volume knob rather than a
wheel or up/down buttons.

I thought seriously about buying the Sony 2010, but just couldn't get past
the idea of buying a used radio that is known for having a few quirks, even
though it has a sterling reputation for reception.

Buying the Sangean with the anti-chuffing mod already done (but still under
warranty) seemed like a good idea, too.

I don't really intend for this radio to be a DX machine -- I would have
bought a desktop Grundig 800 or an Icom R-75 for that. I just wanted a good
entry-level radio to pick up the major shortwave broadcasters, that would
also give me the opportunity to listen to sideband occasionally.

I do intend to use a long-wire, strung in the attic (the covenants in my
neighborhood prohibit outside antennas).

I bought it from C.Crane, and also picked up the half-price deal on their
Chris Justice ferrite antenna. Hopefully, this will give me the reception
on the 909 on AM that my CCRadio+ currently does, and I can let one of the
kids have the CCR+.

-- Stinger

"radiok3pi" wrote in message
om...
-Stinger,

You will like the mod 909 a lot, don't fret! You will need both
eventually. : ) The 909 is better as a mini desktop and the 7600g(r)
is superior as a travel portable. 909 handles external antennas very
well. You need a moderate length external antenna and good AC adapter
to get the most out of it. Let us know how you like it.

Haven't found the cure here yet

-Russ K3Pi

"Stinger" wrote in message

Dammit, Dan, I didn't need to hear that right now. I've got a Sangean

ATS -
909 Deluxe on order right now ;^)

-- Stinger

"Dan Schopp" wrote in message
om...
wrote in message ...
Dan, If this radio is so good "why" selling it?

Would like to sell the DX 398 in order to purchase a Sony 7600GR. I am
a radioaholic and love having a new radio to play with.

Old October 19th 03, 02:52 PM
Stinger

Russ,

Thanks for tips! I'll definitely post a review of the Justice antenna. I
hope it's everything they say it is.

-- Stinger

"Stinger" wrote in message

Dammit, Dan, I didn't need to hear that right now. I've got a

Sangean
ATS -
909 Deluxe on order right now ;^)

-- Stinger